Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 11:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L6
Rated Cap: 78
Dora [Build Thread] - Rural Rovers

Hi All,

Tomorrow is the big day for us. After much debate with our kids, we've settled on calling ourselves the Rural Rovers, which adequately describes what our objective is with our new Skoolie.

In proper naming convention (or so our kids tell us), we're going with Dora.

I don't have much yet to post as we're just getting started, but here's the basics that we'll be building on as we go. I've also reserved a domain that I'll put WordPress on for a blog to chart along with us on the journey, and update that as we really get this project moving.

Unit : BlueBird TC2000 F/E Transit style, 2001. 133,000 Miles 5.9 Cummins Diesel with Allison 2500 Transmission. 78 passenger bus. The shop foreman stated the bus was setup for travel at 65-67 (limited, not sure how, I'm sure we'll get into that). Unit has 4 under carriage storage bays, 2 per side.

Picking up in Athens Alabama, we'll be performing the initial build out at a friend's farm where he has graciously allowed us a nice flat spot to do demo, paint, and the initial work to get it ready to roll.

Insurance is handled (thanks and shout out to the thread here in Skoolie where we hooked up with Brian) as an RV. I'll plug him here since the process was so simple : http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/i-...-ga-22233.html

First item is to get tags done via the VT process posted while demo and seat removal gets under way. We're thinking then paint, and with tags in hand run it through a shop to double check the mechanicals. I know we need 4 tires before we go anywhere seriously.

Super excited, and looking forward to posting more news as we get it "home" and get to work ! These forums have already been super valuable, and we're very appreciative of all whom contribute such a wealth of information, perspective, and experience.

/Matt

atl_oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Congrats Matt. Glad you are off to a running start. make sure to post a lot of pics!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:15 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L6
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
Congrats Matt. Glad you are off to a running start. make sure to post a lot of pics!
Thanks ! We will most definitely be taking an abundance of pictures and documenting as we go. I expect to look back and shake my head at more than a few gaffs as we build out Dora....

/Matt
atl_oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue bird tc2000, bus build, skoolie build