Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #1

Double Decker 1960/1939 Intl Harvester project NoFurthur

Hello Skoolies, I have a 1960 International Harvester with an earlier era (late 1930s?) bus shell welded on top making a lovely double height rig with 9 foot ceilings and two lofts. This conversion was done in the 1970s. I bought her a coulple of years ago and am looking for advice/help on what to do with her. I have an art studio on board right now. I would love to paint the exterior the multiple psychedelic coloring of the original Ken Kesey Furthur (thats why this lovely is called NoFurthur). Also is a dream to get her on the road for the summer of 2014, the 50th anniversary of the original Furthur trip taken by the Merry Pranksters.

Anyone in the Santa Cruz, ca area willing to help/look at her I would be thrilled to give you a tour here.

See her at:

Click on: http://www.nofurthur.com
Reach me here: mailto:bdamer@digitalspace.com

Thanks!

Bruce

Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #2

Hi Voxecho and thanks for posting to the forum! She is proably about 13 feet tall, so that is HIGH, forcing one to be careful of older low overhead bridges. Freeway driving is no problem as those overpasses must meet federal regs. The interior ceilings are lovely high, probably 9 feet. The lofts are lovely. As far as I know this is the only bus in the world with a full second bus shell on top. The trick to do this is that you need the top shell to be from a shorter bus. In this case we have probably a late 1930s shell (beveled in the front) welded onto a 1960 International harvester top which is longer and square in the front. The difficulty is finding the right geometry for the top shell. Ken Kesey's original Furthur was a 1939 IH bus very close to our top shell in shape.

I hope this was helpful! Hey Discovery Channel did a shoot in NoFurthur, see http://www.nofurthur.com
Old 03-28-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Double Decker 1960/1939 Intl Harvester project NoFurthur

lots of ,looks but not many replies neat bus i like the old stuff also thank you
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote