Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Rated Cap: 84
Re: "Double Deuce"

Going to try and get some stuff done on the bus today. I took a 2 week break on the bus and have been working alot at my two jobs. I did however come across a nice aluminum 13 gal. fuel tank with a sending unit for my gennie. Anyone have recommendations on a cheap electric fuel pump I can put inline? I probably need one that has some kind of pressure bypass and return line so I dont have to worry bout over pressuring the system if it is left on and the gennie isn't running.

tfdfyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #62
Skoolie

Well, I lied. I didn't get a thing done on the bus today. Instead, while the kids were at grampas house, I ended up spending an absolute perfect day with my wife out driving. With the top down on the sami, we drove up to a near by lake and just drove all around it. We put 100 miles on the clock and spent about 5 hours driving down old country roads looking for different lake access areas. It is something I recommend to anyone planning on camping at a lake you know nothing about. We found lots of "off the beaten path" areas that the bus could sneak into for off the grid camping.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner

Cool, everyone needs to take a day like yours every now & then! Looks like it was fun. My wife & need that too but with our lil' 15 week old Nia it is tough to get away...
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #64
Skoolie

I still haven't been able to break away to work on the deuce due to, well, life. But I did get ahold of a major item for the conversion.

I traded it straight across for a contractors style gennie that I had a whole $55 in. This one needs a little work to make it perfect but It works fine right now the way it is. The exciter is not working properly. It is supposed to drop the rpms when not under a load but only works sometimes. It is also liquid cooled so I can mount it just about anywhere as long as I mount the radiator and fan in a ventilated area.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner

VERY nice score!!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford F700
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 66

Honda makes a nice product.I own 3 Honda motorcycles,and a generator.They are usually quiet,and if you want to make it even quieter,just add a car style muffler to the end of the stock exhaust.Very nice find.
Frank ZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #67
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky
Liquid cooled....
NOICE!
that means u can run the heat pipe lines and the rad where u want and hide the Genny anywhere and then just STACK ON THE SOUND DENTING (as long as u vent the exhaust). Exactly as it is the db level is 65db's

but think about how much that 5.5KW (peak) genny is gona eat in fuel. my HOUSE runs of a 4.7KW Lister. Most of your larger motorhomes have 6.5kw gennies. Mine has a rmp exciter (rpms determined partly on the demand of the genset) plus it is a Honda so Fuel should be 0.8gal/hr according to the book.

how old is it? Not sure I think it is a mid '90's model

what does it put out? modified sine wave? hmmz 50amp 120/240 60hz modified

Well that things MASSIVE bigger then i would like but ur gona have enuff power to hook 2 other peoples RV's up to your genny haha, Tho i don't know how much power these AC's pull out and how many u have on ur bus.
Physical size will be smaller after all of the casing is pulled off. I have two 12,000btu a/c's, a 120v refer. and a microwave and plan on camping "off the grid" as much as possible. You can never have too much power especially for a $55 investment.

anyways that sure sparked my attention
Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #68
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford F700
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 66

Your bus is turning out nice.I also like your Samuri.I had a 86 with 30"mud grips,lift kit,header and Weber carb.
I also agree with you on 2X4's and 3/4 plywood.I feel too it is over kill.I'll be using 2X2 and lauan for wall covering glued together.
I will be hauling 1K lbs. of dirt bikes and towing my wife's car,so weight is definitely a issue.
My Honda gennie calls for a 5psi fuel pump.Usually the elcheapo universal fuel pumps are self regularated.Hope this helps.
Frank ZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #69
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

please excuse my OCD bud...the Sam needs some yellow on it to match the bus!!!

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #70
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdfyrman
Going to try and get some stuff done on the bus today. I took a 2 week break on the bus and have been working alot at my two jobs. I did however come across a nice aluminum 13 gal. fuel tank with a sending unit for my gennie. Anyone have recommendations on a cheap electric fuel pump I can put inline? I probably need one that has some kind of pressure bypass and return line so I dont have to worry bout over pressuring the system if it is left on and the gennie isn't running.

I couldn't find a good pump and regulator so I made my own out of loose parts.

I used this pump

a brass barbed T fitting

and this regulator on the return line

Fuel pump source. http://www.jcwhitney.com/Electronic_Fue ... ;2011022;0

T fitting source can be had at any hardware or home improvement store.I used a 1/4 inch T

Fuel regulator http://www.jcwhitney.com/Fuel_Pressure_ ... ;2011023;0

Please explain how you put the regulator on the return line? I thought the reg. goes between the pump and the engine.

I was going to use the same parts but put a one way pressure regulated spring type check valve between the pump and reg. back to the tank.

This will work just like a water pump on a fireturck so the pump deosen't burn up from back pressure. Or in a mechanics perspective, it works like a oil pump in a engine that has a bypass valve to return excess oil pressure to the pan so you don't blow out your seals on the engine.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #71
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR

I want to do a paint scheme on the sami to match the colors we plan on painting the bus. Which is Silver on the top, Black at the window belt, and red on the bottom half. But on of my OCD hang ups is, if I paint something, every inch of it better not "reveal" the original color behind it. So I would be opening a massive can of worms if I was to paint the sami because I would have to do a complete tear down and resto type of paint job......So it will be staying white for now
Old 09-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #72
Skoolie

Quote:
C00LR wrote:

I want to do a paint scheme on the sami to match the colors we plan on painting the bus. Which is Silver on the top, Black at the window belt, and red on the bottom half. But on of my OCD hang ups is, if I paint something, every inch of it better not "reveal" the original color behind it. So I would be opening a massive can of worms if I was to paint the sami because I would have to do a complete tear down and resto type of paint job......So it will be staying white for now

Its already black and white... It would look good behind MY bus!!.
I actaully ran across one of these for sale a couple days ago. Dont know the year or anything except its white too with a black top and some graphics. I was thinking about reading about your Sami and start getting ideas. Its a great tow vehicle in that its lightweight and 4x4 so you should be able to kick the trans case in neutral and down the road you go! Then again.... I ALREADY have a Karmann Ghia that will probably eventually be stuck to the back of my bus. I need to practice up on my welding first before I put a hitch back there though.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 09-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #73
Skoolie

Take a road trip in your bus and come down here. We'll get you one welded up
Old 09-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #74
Skoolie

thank you for the offer!!! I would take you up on it... but I've got some more wrenching to do. Sitting for five years and then putting it back on the road hasn't been kind to the old bus. Or my checkbook. My checkbook needs time to recover from the project of replacing rear wheel cylinders. And now it looks as that I have a seal leaking on the right rear axle, NOT looking fwd to pulling that hub off AGAIN!! Before she goes much further I need to replace the water pump. I'm pretty sure the fan and pulley arent supposed to be wobbling when the engine runs. My starter is about to go out and I am gonna need to replace the power steering pump too. I can live with the armstrong steering for the moment. But I'd really rather replace the water pump and starter here at the house where I have tools. So the hitch gets put on the "wants" list and the "needs" list once again takes priority.
Aint it funny how the stuff on the "wants" list is more fun to work on than the "needs" list??

IYAAYAS
Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #75
Skoolie

I made a sad decision today. Gonna have to sell her off due to lack of funds and the fact I hate to see things sit.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6306