Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #21
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,097
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
7-9 MPG should be very easy to get.

If you don't do much idling or big hills you should have no problem with the upper number.

Big loads, big hills, and lots of idling and you will be looking at the lower numbers.
With my 4.10 and VERY easy driving conditions locally, I'm gonna hope for 10!
Our lawn truck only does about 10 MAYBE 12 under the same conditions.
I'm thinking the bus will be a HUGE improvement though in terms of usefulness. Like a mobile shed/office/shitter. Can keep the power equipment inside now instead of out in the elements.
This bus is gonna improve my whole day to day life, man. I LOVE the excitement of a new bus!
Maybe I'll find some way of getting more.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #22
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 6,088
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I GOTTA say, Chris- you've inspired much of my thinking when it comes to all this.
What kind of real world mileage do you get with Redbyrd? Not interstate, just regular use.

I actuallly havent kept good run around mileage records.. I do know up here in Ohio it gets much worse mileage because it runs in cold mode much longer..

its definitely nowhere close to the mileage I get in a silverado or a cargo van.

and its hard to beat a V-dub esp a TDI for mileage...

I havent tried towing with RedByrd, ive had it fully loaded with people before and it didnt seem to drive much different.. (had like 10-12 guys on there with luggage)..

it definitely gets better mileage than my DT-360 around town..
on the highway its about the same.. but im driving the DT-360 at 55-60 and Redbyrd at 65-68


-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #23
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,097
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
The nice folks in Aurora overnighted my title and BOS!!! So tomorrow I'll call and get an ins policy. I won't have time to go tomorrow for the tag, so I'll get that monday morning then some friends are supposed to fly out and drive it back for me.



Anyone in the Aurora area wanna gimme a hand and help my buddy get on his way? He's a great driver but will need a hand with putting in new batteries and such.
Maybe the school personnel will help him, idk.
If anyone wants to be a hero and help check it over I'd love you for life. Just sayin.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #24
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 266
Wish I could do that....Wisconsin basically requires that you go through the entire conversion process before re-titling as an RV.

It is a nice bus but personally I would've held out for something without the AT545. If you go post 2000 or so there's a fair amount of IC shorties with DT466s and the Allison 2000/MD 3060 etc.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #25
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,097
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Wish I could do that....Wisconsin basically requires that you go through the entire conversion process before re-titling as an RV.

It is a nice bus but personally I would've held out for something without the AT545. If you go post 2000 or so there's a fair amount of IC shorties with DT466s and the Allison 2000/MD 3060 etc.
Meh, it was cheap and i live in the flatland. Speed limits here are 45 mph. Its gona be a lawn truck.
Why would I title it as an RV???

Plus- living in FL, someone may just beg me to sell it to them for five grand +/-.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:38 AM   #26
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 6,088
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Wish I could do that....Wisconsin basically requires that you go through the entire conversion process before re-titling as an RV.

It is a nice bus but personally I would've held out for something without the AT545. If you go post 2000 or so there's a fair amount of IC shorties with DT466s and the Allison 2000/MD 3060 etc.

my bluebird shortie with a T-444E and an AT545 runs 65 on the highway all day long.. it will max out about 73 or so.. I limited the RPM at 2600 and the speed at 70.. but it runs nicely at 65..

ECCB LIKELY has the 97 or perhaps 98 chassis.. if he HAppens to have a late 96 Chassis then he will have the ECM that can easily be cranked up Like a ford Power stroke. theres tuning available aftermarket for the 94-96 444E but in 97 they went to the Diamong Logic computers which no one made any aftermarket tuning for..

there is one guy out there I know of that put the ford computers on his T-444E and got it to run and has it turned up.. he did it on a 4700 truck, I think that truck is a spicer stick and not a 545..

in the later 545s its imperative to make sure the Electric modulator works or the pump pressure on heavy throttle is not high enough and can cause primary clutch-pack burnout.

super shorties are tough to find in a DT-466, the standard offered package was a 444E.. later on they started offering the allison 2000 standard but I think it was only 1 year, 2004 that the 545 wasnt available. and by 04 Most werre going to the ill-fated VT-365 (6.0). after the 6.0 came out you could find more shorties with the DT-466 as the VT-365 became hated very quickly.. IC released the BE series which was a lighter duty chassis and thats where they pushed alot of their super shorties.. the DT-466 IC shorties were usually then 7 or 8 window instesd of 6.. that extra 3 or 4 feet makes a big difference in driving / parking esp on a worksite. thomas seemed to be going freightliner / CAT about that time on everything...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #27
Skoolie
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 247
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my bluebird shortie with a T-444E and an AT545 runs 65 on the highway all day long.. it will max out about 73 or so.. I limited the RPM at 2600 and the speed at 70.. but it runs nicely at 65..

ECCB LIKELY has the 97 or perhaps 98 chassis.. if he HAppens to have a late 96 Chassis then he will have the ECM that can easily be cranked up Like a ford Power stroke. theres tuning available aftermarket for the 94-96 444E but in 97 they went to the Diamong Logic computers which no one made any aftermarket tuning for..

there is one guy out there I know of that put the ford computers on his T-444E and got it to run and has it turned up.. he did it on a 4700 truck, I think that truck is a spicer stick and not a 545..

in the later 545s its imperative to make sure the Electric modulator works or the pump pressure on heavy throttle is not high enough and can cause primary clutch-pack burnout.

super shorties are tough to find in a DT-466, the standard offered package was a 444E.. later on they started offering the allison 2000 standard but I think it was only 1 year, 2004 that the 545 wasnt available. and by 04 Most werre going to the ill-fated VT-365 (6.0). after the 6.0 came out you could find more shorties with the DT-466 as the VT-365 became hated very quickly.. IC released the BE series which was a lighter duty chassis and thats where they pushed alot of their super shorties.. the DT-466 IC shorties were usually then 7 or 8 window instesd of 6.. that extra 3 or 4 feet makes a big difference in driving / parking esp on a worksite. thomas seemed to be going freightliner / CAT about that time on everything...

-Christopher
Cadillackid, My Carpenter is the T444E as well, but I have no idea what Allison is in it. I have had it out on the highway and it seem to cruise at 60 to 65 with no problem. I will see if I can climb under it this weekend and pin down a little more info on BLUTO. I've been to wrapped up in the demo and building out. Guess I need to stop and do that. I love it when someone else has the knowledge and is willing to share it. Thanks
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #28
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,097
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Cadillackid, My Carpenter is the T444E as well, but I have no idea what Allison is in it. I have had it out on the highway and it seem to cruise at 60 to 65 with no problem. I will see if I can climb under it this weekend and pin down a little more info on BLUTO. I've been to wrapped up in the demo and building out. Guess I need to stop and do that. I love it when someone else has the knowledge and is willing to share it. Thanks
Just google "allison 545" and "allison 643" and you'll know which one you have once you look under the bus. Easy to tell the difference.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #29
Skoolie
 
Stewzer55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New Carlisle, Ohio
Posts: 127
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
Thomas went all Freightliner in the early 2000's because they are both under the DaimlerAG banner, Daimler bought Thomas around 1999. Kinda like Navistar and AmTran, and now Blue Bird is almost all exclusively on their own chassis. In my area, most of the districts are running IHC/International-AmTran units since Navistar has a plant in the area, though I think the bus plant is far away.
__________________
Closest I have to a Bus would be my '92 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Station Wagon 1 of 4,347 built.
Stewzer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #30
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 6,088
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the schools here are buying mainly IC conventionals as they tend to beat everyone up on prici9ng.. at least here in Ohio.. I dont know where they make those anymore... springfield ohio navistar plant has been gone for a long time..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.