Old 12-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Re: "Epona" Sophies' New Home

I used a paint sold by Tractor Supply. It is a Val-Spar product called BPS Tractor and Implement Enamel. I sanded down to clean old paint, wiped with acetone as I went, and then painted it with a roller. People are amazed that I used a roller because it actually came out very well. I think it's best to use the shortest nap roller possible. Get good quality roller covers because they are less likely to shed fluff into the paint.

I used a 1/3 sheet Black&Decker orbital sander. It went quickly. I don't recall what grade sandpaper I used. Definately use a good sander, and don't be conservative with the sandpaper -- it's a lot cheaper than your time! When it stops cutting, don't push harder and try to get the very last out of it. It is a consumable supply. Save the pieces for hand sanding other projects, but do yourself the favor of changing paper often.

WEAR A MASK WHEN YOU SAND. No telling what's in the paint of a 25 year old bus....

IIRC, I did thin the mixture by the maximum recommended proportion (like 8 oz of thinner per gallon or something.)

I painted an area about 3'x3' (it's what I can reach), then moved on and painted two more areas the same size. THEN, I went back over the first area with the depleted roller from the third area -- that smooths out the few bubbles that might be left. It's important to let the first area get a bit tacky first, thus you are always working 2 areas ahead of the one you are going to go back over -- gives it time to dry a bit. It's important that you use a depleted roller for this, I think, and that you work the area pretty firmly with it when you go back over an area. The little bit of paint on the roller keeps it from sticking to the tacky paint, and working it firmly helps to smooth out any little air bubbles left by the roller.

I found that if I didn't re-roll an area, I would invariably end up with pin-prick bubbles here and there.

Brush or blow off the bus VERY WELL if you used any steel wool. The tiny fragments of it like to hide in nooks and crannies and then get into the paint, where they rust and leave little tiny rust streaks in the paint.

I only put one coat on. That was 5 years ago, almost. The only places where it is coming up are small dings where the paint got nicked by stones from the lawnmower, and a small spot on a sharp corner on one of the roof ribs. When I wash it it still looks nice and white. Not quite as shiny as it once was, but not a weathered, flat white.

For the 2 small spots of rust on the body, I used Rustoleum Primer for Rusty Metal. Rustoleum says that you should not use the rusty metal primer on good metal, so I didn't. But I only primered those two rusty spots. The rest of the bus I just took down to fresh(er) paint.

Here's a pictorial of how I painted mine.

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk...Shift/album15/

[added]As you can see in the picture, I couldn't have used a spray gun in the location I was working.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

You would have a hard time finding information about a B700 motor, because you are correct, it does not exist. The B700 refers to the chassis that the bus is built upon. The motor could be anything from a gas engine, propane engine, or a diesel engine. Someone had a link posted that you could plug your VIN number into to decode what was originally equipped on the bus, I think it was a link to the ford website or something like that.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Hey there-
If you get your VIN #, you can go to Ford Truck Enthusiast forum, and ask there. They'll tell you what it's "supposed" to have for an engine. Chances are good that it will be what came stock with your bus. It's a good start anyway. BTW, there's a sub category for the Ford big trucks, and it will say "F"700, not "B"700, which is just the designation for a bus instead of a truck. Ask in that column- those guys will know what you're talking about. Good luck
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

In WI the DMV told me to be an RV it has to be listed under 10k. Maybe they were trying to give you RV rather than commercial status?
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

Here is another interesting VIN type site.

http://www.vindecipher.com/gates/

I got some interesting info here.
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

Fantastic! Good Luck!

and they probably thought you were a chick due to your feminine username. Maybe change your avatar to a picture of yourself? Or perhaps change the username.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

Oh man! Sorry to hear that... but glad it happened close to home.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophieshouse
yeah me to , do you know of a place where i can get a turbo unit at a fair price
Sorry, I've not delved into parts acquisition for my bus yet. I would just advise you to be aware that other types of trucks will have the same engine as your bus, so any place that sells truck parts would be a place to look.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #20
Bus Nut

My thoughts are that the belt might be stretching or the bolts are slipping.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote