So it's been a while and not much progress has been made -life keeps getting in the way.
As usual, I'm building things backwards, i.e., I want the garage finished first so I gutted the bus.
Took the excess to the dump/metal recycler.
Went out and bought new tires.
Somewhere along the way, the rear brakes seized and I had to invest in a full set of brakes, rotors, calipers, and lines. OUCH! That really hurt the budget and killed my enthusiasm. My little brother was working on the engine and drivetrain for a bit. He got the bus doing 60MPH on flat ground,ut I kept telling him I needed more cause that was empty and it'll be 7ooolbs heavier with the car and RV stuff.
He swears there's a governor, but can't figure it out. I have to remind him every couple weeks that I need more power.
After the gutting was complete, I painted the garage ceiling and floor, then started on the insulation.
Since the material cam in early I also test-fit the flooring - a grey (to match the ceiling) diamond plate style anti-fatigue vinyl floor.
The flooring is going to look great, but I realized later that not much of it will be seen. I needed it for when I store stuff under the car and it'll keep the area tidy in case the car leaks any fluids, etc and dust an dirt will clean up easily.
Next step was the window deletes for the back two windows and then the walls went up.
But, of course, another issue arises. I sealed and painted the garage half of the bus. Seals are good and there's only two coats of buskote knowing it'll need at least 4. Yet, no matter what I do, I can't get the damn skylights to seal.
I've got one really bad drip and two more that are insidiously slow and hard to track down. Everytime it rains, I go out and spend an hour or two trying to track then down, but no luck so far.
Last month, in an attempt to motivate myself I got with a graphics designer and started working on the exterior graphics.
And to think when I originally to that pic, I snickered at the guy in the right of the pic with his U-Haul and open trailer for his car. I thought, "Wait till I finish this, it'll put traveling like that to shame." Little did I know how much that would take.
Well, that didn't do much for me so just before my last race I test fit the car in the back.
Then I drove the car 1100miles, set a new Land Speed Record for the car and drove it another 1100 miles home.
I never want to do that again. So the bus must get done!
This month I picked up the seesaw trailer from Sikeston, 180 miles away.
It fit perfectly and once I build its foundation the car will go all the way in and I can figure out where I want my wall sepating the garage from the RV sections.
Got it home and tested the tilt.
It only takes 180lbs forward of the axle which is perfect: car drives on with trailer flat on the dovetail and a foot after rear wheels come onboard the front pass the pivot, and the whole thing pivots flat.
Still plenty to do, but always moving forward. I'll be tying the pivot to the frame of the bus this month and hopefully by Christmas have the wall up and starting on the front section.