Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Family Tardis

One more consideration regarding large fresh water tanks......

In addition to requiring very secure mounting, they must also have ample baffling inside. Buses move...the water moves independently. The result can produce a remarkably powerful tsunami that easily can rip a large tank apart if there is nothing to limit the water movement.

Many of the plastic tanks I have seen had zero baffling. Fuel tanks have them...water tanks, not always.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #42
r_w
Skoolie

VERY good point on baffling. You may want separate tanks if you can't get baffles, because that can allow you to isolate one if it leaks or stuff them in various places--but it will increase the complexity and probably (but not necessarily) cost more.

Buses have enough strength if you should be able to run E track (like semi trailers use) above the windows as long as you get a good attachment to every rib. Bottom track (like airplane and handicap buses use) looks better but costs a lot more and isn't as strong by itself.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 198x
Coachwork: Crown & MCI
Chassis: 40ft Tandem/40ft MC-9 Tag
Engine: Cummins 855 BCT/6V92TA, RTO-910/HT-740
Rated Cap: 47,000lb/38,000lb GVWR

I have used an Air Head composting toilet in my GMC for 4 years now and I'll never put a black tank in an 'RV' ever again. (BTW- It's the same thing/idea as the Nature's Head.)

I'm not sure 8 people will be able to use it comfortably for long, but with 2 people you can generally use it day-to-day (empty the pisser daily) for 4 weeks straight before worrying about filling up the **** tank.

They don't stink if you ventilate them properly and in a weird way actually smell kinda pleasant after the decomposition process starts to take place. In any event, much better than a black tank that's been sitting in >90F temperature for a while; I won't do it again.

I've already made accommodations to put another similar unit in my bus.

P.S. the only complaint I've had is from the girl's side of the house; these composting toilets aren't as convenient to use for a female when you have to separate urine from the feces. I guess taking a **** and pissing at the same time requires certain types of plumbing to make it work easier?
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #44
r_w
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeel91
I don't care how slightly built you are your keister is still wider than the commode.
Not mine.
But your elbows are.

But back to a serious note: What is the best option for a big family? Even the biggest black tanks are under a week capacity for 8. Nature's Head is down to a week or less. I am thinking the old 5 gallon bucket toilet is the winner for a big family. I mean, if you have to empty it within a week, why mess with the composter?
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDBreske
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeel91
I don't care how slightly built you are your keister is still wider than the commode.
Not mine.
But your elbows are.

But back to a serious note: What is the best option for a big family? Even the biggest black tanks are under a week capacity for 8. Nature's Head is down to a week or less. I am thinking the old 5 gallon bucket toilet is the winner for a big family. I mean, if you have to empty it within a week, why mess with the composter?
okay if you are boondocked in your private home, just dig a big azz hole and put dump valved sewer tube into it like an out house

this way black tank stays empty for trips???
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote