Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Re: Finally Moliska is joining skoolie.net!

Still have not fixed the heater hose,.. been very busy. I have pulled out the shower pan from the trailer... i am not sure how to go about retrieving the black and gray water tanks....from underneath or cutting some of the floor back??...i looked in the toilet with a flash light and i think there is fluid in there!! i guess i am gonna have to dig a hole and dump it there....gross and hard diggin around here...so, is there a trick to removing toilet.. i am captain break-a-lot so what wandering if there is any tricks..... been also trying to start the bus.. re-connected the wires off the tranny and know i did it right due to the color coding...the battery was low-ish 12.5v so i tried squeaking the truck in between bus and other not running suv (not easy) jumped bus and still no luck?! I wanted to do more troubleshooting but the dang wasp's were running me off.....they are really aggressive,...the bus is their home now........the whole soddering the copper wire to make a bump in my 90's..very creative idea i like it, but i dont have those type of fabricating skills or tools....my next goal with those is to make it to napa and see if they can help me.....why the heck is there only one dump valve? i dont understand
Attached Thumbnails
003.JPG   004.JPG   005.JPG  

moliskaIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

wasp
Attached Thumbnails
999.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

who am i supposed to call.... ghost busters?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

yeah, I'm sure its not ghost... I hope i can figure it out.... i think i need to get on top of motor and test the solenoid and starter with the ol' volt meter....now wouldn't i have to test it while turning the key? can i jump start it? that would take me putting a brick on the clutch or something?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

mightybus...what do you mean i only need one valve?..dosent each holding tank have its own valve you pull to dump? why is the black tank under the toilet and the gray under the shower(i am guessing) but only one valve,, so does it go: toilet---->black tank---->gray tank---->dump valve?????? i guess i just need to go in there and pull the floor apart...
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #66
Bus Nut

If you get A&E you can watch "Billy the Exterminator" tonight. One of the episodes he goes after some wasps with a natural insect killer, but I cant remember which one is for wasps... But I know he uses Pyrethrin and Eugenol Oils alot. I think wasps is Eugenol... But if you can find a place to get a spraybottle of the stuff you need, you can just mist the buggers and their nests and kill them quick and move on... Although, a shopvac might be handy so you dont find dead wasps in the grass...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

dad and i went in there comicazi style and we figured out some stuff under the hood.. there is definitely a problem between the solenoid and the key as far as starting it goes.. but dad tried the old screwdriver to start her and no luck.. he came to the conclusion that the starter needs a fixin'.. been working in the city and have not had time to deal with anything yet...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #68
Skoolie

Hi Moliska,
when you take your donor trailer apart, you might find it easier to pull the flooring off to get the tanks out. Spend some time looking over the setup and it'll explain the dump valve(s). And talk to local RV/trailer shop folks, they can usually help with advice, and they'd be local since I can't make the trip

Many RV tanks were installed while building the trailer, so they can be surrounded by walls and flooring n' stuff. Get ALL the stuff out of the way before trying to pull the tanks, or they will break when forced. This means taking the trailer apart, something you'd probably do anyway.
SOME tanks were bolted in from underneath using hanger straps, so might be removable that way.

Try to flush the tanks before pulling....get as empty as possible. Having the trailer level helps.
1) First FILL the tanks. FLUSH the BLACK tank BEFORE the grey tank.
2) THEN flush the grey tank....the idea is that the grey water helps flush the last of the black crap out of the drain hose. If there's a black tank shutoff, it might behoove ya to close it before flushing the grey tank...your mileage may vary.

About your starting problems: Make sure that when you turn the key, you have voltage going to the solenoid. IF you have voltage going into the solenoid, then test the voltage coming OUT of the solenoid. Solenoids and electrical connectors can get rusted, and pitted contacts internally, which can be the problem.
Then if the solenoid is good, pull the starter and have it checked out. You can usually test it on a bench with a battery (make sure you can pull the wire away!), or take it to NAPA or similar to test it (safer to have them do it if you don't know what you're doing). Disconnect ground wire from battery FIRST before pulling the starter!
Batteries should be around 13.2 volts when fully charged IIRC (each cell is actually 2.2 volts X six cells=13.2 volts)...I could be wrong, there's plenty of battery websites out there to double-check. Low voltage could be a problem with a weak connection (corroded) or pitted contacts in a solenoid.

And I'm sure by now someone told you your old water tank is for a completely obsolete pressurized system. They stopped doing those when decent water pumps became available, and check valves prevented city water from back-flowing into the newer plastic tanks.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

so... been working hard helping a friend fix up his house to sell....lots of work. i managed to get a ride to the store and this is what i came up with for my third attempt at the heater hose 90's .... (wondering what y'all will have to say about it)...
Hi Ryan: i am going to have to dig a hole to dump the tanks into.. but i do think the flushing idea is a good plan, I'm gonna try to dump first to make sure i can open everything properly before filling them up any more. I am wondering if the water spickit looking thing is the gray water... I do want to just rip the trailer all apart.. keeping the windows and all the usable stuff.. but I have a feeling it will be a huge mess.. I guess just burn everything with wood on it that I don't want and then go through the burn pile for stuff to scrap.. the insulation is a problem as it doesn't burn.. I just envision it all turning into a big ugly mess and i am hesitant to start
about the water tank...yes, i have since figured out i now have a small air compressor and no water pump.. but i think i would like to reuse the tank and acquire a 12v water pump and all the appropriate valves and a pressure regulator for a hose...
still waiting for the right tools... dads got all the mechanical tools and i all the construction.. so haven't pulled the starter.. very distracted right now with working and i might have to go to stl to see my 86 year old grandma that's not doing too hot, but i would like to get the 90's on there before i leave house...
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG   2 010.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Yes, tearing apart an old camping trailer can be an awful mess.

The U fittings look pretty good. Use teflon tape to seal the threads, and perhaps two hose clamps on each hose to take maximum advantage of the "barbs". And the hose needs to be a tight fit on those barbs. That should do it.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

cheese thanks for the welcome....ell, gosh i don't like the looks of that picture....man o man... about the thread sealant, i got some pipe sealant in a tube that is supposed to be able to withstand hi temps.. yes it is the correct size and yes to the hose clamps.. how hot do ya think this piping will get? should i take any extra precautions building around it? thanx for all the groovy input all!!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #72
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliskaIH
.. how hot do ya think this piping will get?
The same as or just slightly less than the "engine temperature" on the gauge. Water boils over at 212°F/100°C, plus with proper anti-freeze and a pressure cap, the temps can safely run higher. I would guess no more than 240°F maximum under pressure when climbing hills.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Right, and the sealant in a tube will be fine also.

This same hot water circulated in that area since the bus was new, so it's not going to set anything on fire.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 88
Engine: 7.3 international

your latest setup for the coolant is perfect.

for more advice on your engine problems i would head over to oilburners.net forums. the engine you have is 6.9 or 7.3L international (ford used them too). will the engine turn over? do you get a click from the solenoid? if you touch a screwdriver to the two large posts of the solenoid will it turn over? spark? (make sure it's in neutral for that test!!!!)

if it turns over but doesn't fire 90% of the time it's the glow plug system. see above site for more help there.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #75
Mini-Skoolie

geez,.. a lot has been going on with my little world.. I had to move about a 3.5 hour drive from the bus. I have not even had a chance to finish cleaning all those rusty tools OR been able to put my new set up for my 90's on. Very bummed about leaving all my projects. I am now going back to school. But I do have an awesome landlord so maybe the break between summer school and the fall semester I could get her going and park it up here. that would be cool. I dunno.......