Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: International Harvester
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Finally Moliska is joining skoolie.net!

Finally i am joining skoolie.net! i have been reading and researching here for awhile.....Here is my story, I got the bus about a year and a half ago for $700... did some okay work with minimal money....got a jerk boyfriend...stopped working on the bus to work on him... that's over... So, now its back to working on me!! I have lit the fire under my ass once again... Now i would like a shower and toilet on the bus, and no longer want bunks. With the departure of boyfriend I have seemed to acquired a 16ft camper trailer with no tittle, so she is now a Donner for the bus...here is pics of day one back on the bus...
Attached Thumbnails
037.jpg   038.jpg   040.jpg  

moliskaIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Finally Moliska is joining skoolie.net!

So... Now to correcting the heater hose u-turn
Attached Thumbnails
033.jpg   021.jpg   022.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

okay now i know only 3 pics per post.... I need to not be so quick to click....so more u turn...
Attached Thumbnails
034.jpg   035.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
Welcome aboard!
It is as nature intended that women don't feel as much pain as men do when breaking up.
You have a nice looking bus.
Once again welcome!
M.B.
Oh, thanx for the welcome....nice looking, not so much....but I like the way you see things! I see a damn mess...
Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

about the nature intended idea... Is is like women feel the brunt of a relationship during it and the men when it ends?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

also I just started exploring the camper trailer
Attached Thumbnails
042.jpg   041.jpg   025.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

more exploring camper trailer
Attached Thumbnails
052.jpg   051.jpg   044.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The water tank looks like it has been replaced.
Are those harbor freight 45 watt panels?
I have one set.
Water tank.... Is this one still for potable water? ya think its all crusty and corroded? i can't afford to buy a new one...
pannels......yup, harbor freight is awesome... I started out with one set and kept adding... still need more power though
Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Welcome to Skoolies Moliska! Relationships aren't all they're cracked-up to be, I stopped buying tickets for that roller-coaster years ago . So other than losing the bunks, adding a toilet and shower, any other plans? What to you run off your PV panels in the house? Any plans to add any to your bus?

Probably the tank has a lip molded around it's center for mounting.

Smitty
cool..so the busted corner isn't a big deal!! (its just a 16x16 cabin with loft my dad and i built...so not too big) I run a 12v 15'' tv, 12v portable dvd player, 12v car stereo, ceiling fan, under cabinet 12v Christmas lights, 5 12v compact florescent bulbs.... NOT ALL AT ONCE! and I have 4 deep-cycles now.... inverter for direct tv... i tried to pull the receiver apart looking for a transformer(had to hacksaw the funny screw heads into Flathead)... no luck.... umm, major plans for bus.. but i don't know about panels due to cost... I need more for the house first... ALSO, I can't get the bus started... I drove it in here... the brake pressure alarm is so loud I can't tell if the solenoid is clicking or not... blah.. blah..
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1181.JPG   DSCF1182.JPG  
Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Welcome to skoolie.net.

As for your engine not starting, one thing I ran into about a dozen times before I finally started to keep it straight in my head... I would often leave the transmission in gear after setting the brake, and forget to return it to neutral. The bus just won't start with it in gear. First time it happened, I thought "oh crap, I broke it". After that, I just kept thinking "you dummy, you left it in gear again". Now, I don't forget. lol

Hopefully it is something as simple as that. There are often other safety circuits that can cause an engine not to start, such as a door open, or something similar.

Can't wait to see your future progress. Good luck!

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadpuppy
Welcome to skoolie.net.

As for your engine not starting, one thing I ran into about a dozen times before I finally started to keep it straight in my head... I would often leave the transmission in gear after setting the brake, and forget to return it to neutral. The bus just won't start with it in gear. First time it happened, I thought "oh crap, I broke it". After that, I just kept thinking "you dummy, you left it in gear again". Now, I don't forget. lol

Hopefully it is something as simple as that. There are often other safety circuits that can cause an engine not to start, such as a door open, or something similar.

Can't wait to see your future progress. Good luck!

jim
no no..I know all about having a manual tranny. I thank god for being raised with a carb on the coffee table, now i am no way a mechanical engineer like my father, however most of my buddies call me for car trouble... this is my first time ever with a diesel... and Ive been trying to learn and research the air brakes... I'm guessing i am having two problems...(I need to see)starter not getting power....brakes not getting pressure....oh. out here on 40acres with no cat, I seem to have a mouse and rat attraction to under the hoods of all the vehicles.... so i just seem to need a cat and a helping hand...ie. its hard to turn the key and listen for solenoid over brake pressure alarm
Old 03-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The tank is galvanized. It is a great tank. Better then plastic. No out gassing. Even if it is slightly rusty, which I doubt, the iron is good for women folk. Also crusty is good because of the calcium content. Alge is not so good and interestingly grows better in plastic tanks. When the tank is empty it is slightly heavier than the plastic one. So... good old dad might have to figure in to move it around.

I use my one set of panels to charge three batteries for my house. I use the batteries for my laptop and a light with power to spare.
whats out gassing? i like calcium and iron....i get lots from the 280ft well we just had dug, a few years ago now, leaves a stain in the bottom of my water jugs, and i guess sediment, the white flaky-ness... seems like this bus is a solo mission... Just me and the dog ... have a few friends i hope to trade work for help on stuff that's damn impossible to do by yourself..
Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

is the brake pressure not letting the starter get power? and Ive read that the pressure alarm is frequent in these models to go off when your cruzin and you are supposed to pull over and turn off the bus and back on again? lame...
Old 03-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

[quote="mightybus"]Micro plastic particles leach into the water and end up embedded in your tissue. On the galvanized tank and on your well just use a sediment filter. 280 ft is pretty good. Mine is 530ft deep. I use a 1000 gallon storage tank to let the hydrogen sulfide percolate out.

Here is your air-brake training resource.

I like it.

oh, when u put it like that, yuck... half as deep.. i think I'm at 1400 elevation here on the Ozark plateau
Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

okay so happy to hear that its not necessarily a brake problem...yet. home-cooked meals are easy to come by around here.... i would have to say i cook great from a box as well(normally a ramen and pees kind of eater)... yup i really want to get the bus going...hope to get to travel again soon... truly need to focus on that more so than converting...its just not as much fun and I'm scared to know the cost of any major repairs... also not to mention the 6 crap tires...thinking about taking it to this diesel repair and welding place right down the road...gonna need the battery box/frame part welded(its rusted off almost) and inspection/tune up?... will take pics tomorrow of awesome stellar progress...hopefully
Old 03-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

24 min long....gonna have to view when i can get on a faster internet, its just taking too long.... 167 army training video, cool, I'm very interested
Old 03-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Welcome aboard, Moliska!

An other fact of nature is that when a single lady bus-owner shows up on this predominantly male forum, there will be two pages of helpful posts from single men in three hours flat.

I'm worried about your heater hose fittings. They seem to be the kind that is intended for soldering, and they have no ridges to bite into the rubber hose and keep it secure. I fear that the pressure in the hose will eventually blow the fittings off. The oil you applied only makes it worse.

This happened to me a few months ago. And my fittings had ridges! But they were plastic and deformed from the heat, so same problem.

What you need is metal fittings with at least one raised ridge that the hose clamp cannot slide over. If you look at the heater you removed, I bet you will find such a ridge on each pipe.

If you were not 2000 miles away, I'd trade you a herd of stray "mousers" for one of those home-cooked meals.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

Welcome aboard, Moliska!

An other fact of nature is that when a single lady bus-owner shows up on this predominantly male forum, there will be two pages of helpful posts from single men in three hours flat.

I'm worried about your heater hose fittings. They seem to be the kind that is intended for soldering, and they have no ridges to bite into the rubber hose and keep it secure. I fear that the pressure in the hose will eventually blow the fittings off. The oil you applied only makes it worse.

This happened to me a few months ago. And my fittings had ridges! But they were plastic and deformed from the heat, so same problem.

What you need is metal fittings with at least one raised ridge that the hose clamp cannot slide over. If you look at the heater you removed, I bet you will find such a ridge on each pipe.

If you were not 2000 miles away, I'd trade you a herd of stray "mousers" for one of those home-cooked meals.
Is that whats going on....trying to keep it all on the bus... really that's what I'm here for....NO don't say its true!! your right, huh? again, now three times...what if i left it like that with that valve in the drivers area closed and didn't use heat for the summer?? is there still pressure?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

It seems that everyone is very hungry? I shall cook a feast for all...(but not the mice)
Old 03-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

lots of snakes would solve my mice problem.....