Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Generally the heaters are screwed down and quite easy to remove. There's two hoses going into each heater core. There's also an electrical wire for the fan. The rear heater can be moved forward to any location you choose. If you want to remove it during your build/remodel just unscrew it from the floor and wall or whatever it's screwed into. You'll probably find lots of gunk in the heater. When it's unscrewed from the wall and floor, disconnect the wiring and gently roll it over on it's side so you can see the hose entry and exit points. You need to remove the hoses from the heater core while trying not to loose to much of the coolant. You don't want a bunch of air in the coolant system. It's best if you can turn off the heater valves near the engine to minimize coolant loss before disconnecting the hoses from the heater core. You will still need to rejoin the two hose ends by inserting a hose connector and clamps of the appropriate size to make a tight seal. You may want to remove the hoses and create a much smaller loop during your remodel.
It's pretty easy and most work on your bus is just common sense. It's your bus and it's not under warranty, so you can do anything to it that you like. It's a combination of home construction, metal fabrication, diesel mechanics and a little engineering sense. There are ways to search for specific information on most subject here.

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #22

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I merged your two threads. Not sure why there were two identical threads.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Why would you want to be in your bus in cold weather? Just drive to a warmer spot. I tore mine out and scrapped them.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Josiahdr, I'm thinking along the same lines. However I just got this bus this past November and didn't want to take off on a long trip until I knew her better. Then on the other hand being in the coastal mountains of Oregon does have its advantages. If you like lots of trees and low hanging clouds and stuff.
Actually I'm quite the wimp when it comes to hot climates.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Robin97396 Ya that makes sense and all. I personally just do not see the point in having the webasto heaters. Only work when driving the bus. But that's the best part about building a skoolie. You get to do it your way.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Yeah, I realize I'm basically a sail boat that's still in the harbor. So apparently you don't need heat at all while your driving or do you have another heat source for that? In this part of the country you can get along without heat a lot of the time, but there are mornings when an hour or two of heat is a big help toward feeling right.
I spent a Christmas in Chicago some years ago and I remember how cold that was. I understand heading south toward warmer weather, but there have to be some times when you need heat.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Oh totally I plan on having heat. Going with MrBuddy Heater, actually just bought it the other day.

I agree need to have heat in the mornings or at night on occasion depending on where we are and what season it is. If we are parked and living somewhere we will just be able to flip it on and be good to go. Don't see the point in having to turn the engine on and just let it sit and run so that the heater will work.

Looking to chase that 60+ weather. If I needed heat when driving I still have the smaller heater that is in the dash, however I do not think I will ever need to use it. Also going to run away as fast as possible from Chicago lol.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #28
Bus Geek

As a visitor that felt the wind blowing off that lake over Christmas, I'd get away from there too. That reminded me of winters in Korea.
One winter I spent time in San Diego where temps were in the low 60s. We were playing in the ocean as it was a sunny day. After about 15 minutes we became aware that there was a crowd of about 20 people gathered watching us play in the ocean. The odd part to us was those people were all wearing down jacket and stocking caps as if they had just stepped out of a ski lodge. They asked if we were from Alaska, and were surprised to learn we were from NW Oregon.
Point is, temperatures are totally subjective.
I'm curious to know what kinds of places you park at while traveling down south. People you know, or you stay out of town?
Old 03-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #29
Bus Nut

HAHA Ya we had the same experience in San Diego a couple of years ago. We went in January for my birthday and we see everyone all bundled up like you said. Then I'm walking around in shorts and a hoodie.

We plan on just cruising really slow. Lots of boondocking, free camping (walmart and the like), then work camping, and state parks should cover us for the most part.

Find the odd job here and there that allows us to park.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Sounds like a good plan to escape those Chicago winters.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
We moved to the Chicago area one summer when I was a kid. When winter started, we decided to move back to FL. Been here since.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Chicago would be one rough place to winter in a bus unless you were parked inside a shed or barn. I've wintered in a truck in Alaska, and there were multiple times I didn't think I'd wake up in the morning. Years ago even parking inside a three sided tractor shed here in Oregon made a drastic difference in my S&S camper trailer.
The coldest weather I've been in was in Canada. Astounding temperatures during the winter, and I'm surprised anybody lives there. It could be lower than -60* with absolutely no wind. Your skin tingles because of ice crystals forming in it. Nose bleeds are common because of humidity freezing inside your nose and rupturing small blood vessels. No wonder Canada is so sparsely populated.

« Qwerbus | seats out »