Old 11-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: 745B
Engine: T326 9.0 L
Re: Finally Starting to get to work

Here are some pics of our work

As you can see, that insulation isn't the best in the world.

Going to run a wire brush with vacuum over it to remove the fine stuff, then get ready to spray.

Gotta run, going to pick up a stainless steel sink off of freecycle for the bus.

Going to take some pictures this weekend and photoshop them to get an idea of color scheme, right now looking at an orange/sand color scheme.

Thanks

Joseph
Joseph97297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

While you have all of those ceiling panels off, you should remove all of the unnecessary wiring. I did this in my bus. Maybe even run some conduit so you can run wires later. I removed the wires to the speakers, flashers, and the emergency window and door buzzers. It sure simplified all of the crap in that little control box. I'm going to totally rebuild my drivers area from the ground up. Should be interesting!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

So would it be better to just run new 12 volt line, since the old stuff is over 20 years old? Or just re-use that existing wire? Still have a few more panels on roof and side to take off, taking a while because I let my son take out as many as he can before he gives out, gotta get him interested in something.

My bus doesn't have the emergency window but yeah, I will be disconnecting that back door buzzer. Saw a post on here about modifying a lock for the back, anybody done that recently? Any ideas?

so tonight we start looking at removing the heater up front. Any advice on that? From what I have read and looked at, I'll turn off the valve up front then start disassembling the heater. Going to save most of it, probably for use doing something else but is there anything in particular I should look out for? Got a 6 gallon shop-vac so hopefully I don't lose more than that on coolant.

Then depending on how long that takes, finish the removal of panels and insulation stripping. Knowing me, it'll take all evening to remove the heater, cause that is how it always runs.

My son wants to try his hand at spraying and since he is off this week, thought about removing the rub rails that I can, the ones not riveted on but screwed, having him paint them in the shop. Our plan is for a two tone scheme with the rails a tone lighter to help break up that much of one paint color. Using rustoleum limits our color choice but from what I understand it is pretty durable for the price. Any ides on to clear coat or not?

Well, off to the parts place, my run around truck is acting up and I think the alternator is heading south, but only sporadically. Crank it up, pull the negative cable (shade tree quick exam) and it runs fine, so maybe the voltage reg (83 Nissan pickup). Aahh, what would life be like without problems? Probably a whole lot more fun....

Cheers, Joseph
Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

I saved all of the wire I pulled out of my bus. I figure it will come in handy later. I'm going to rig up a new stereo system. I have about 150 feet of speaker wire. But if you don't need flashing lights on the back, then you can remove those wires.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Hello to all.

Finally a little down time. My Honey Do list seems to grow longer per second, so not much time to breath, or so it seems.

Doing a little work on the bus and will get pictures up later tonight.

Quick question, any difference in the Rustoleum professional versus the "Stop Rust" standard? Wife likes one of the "regular" colors better, but unsure if the professional will be more durable or is it the same general stuff?

Thanks
Joseph
Old 11-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Keep us posted
My bus is a 12 window, 87 IH, so I am really digging your pictures and your progress.
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Well, got some more pics here. Haven't really had time to do a lot since wife and kids were on vacation...but will be heading out there tonight, if that turkey sandwich stops calling my name.

Side view of panels removed. Started painting the floor a while ago, but decided that once we remove all the insulation, going to spray the whole interior with the rustoleum.

Drivers area, got seat out and have to figure out what to do with that heater body. Any ideas? Removed the long blower that went down the drive side.

My primary two helpers....yah, I guess I can call them that. William, the oldest and then Wesley.

Color scheme, or it was. Wife didn't like it and now that I see it in person, neither do I. Wanted a two tone and these two don't mix. Looked better on paper...that's why you buy the little cans first....told my wife that we could just paint a little section like this every time that she found colors she liked and pretty soon, the bus would be painted. But now looking at a light, bright blue to go with the sand (rail) color. Once again, any difference in the professional rustoleum versus the "Stops Rust"?

Well, off to see what I can cross off my Honey DO list.

Take it easy
Joseph
Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevorlet AT545 Allison auto
Engine: 8.2 litter Detriot Deisel
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to DizzyIzzy Send a message via MSN to DizzyIzzy Send a message via Yahoo to DizzyIzzy

Hey I like that color scheme, I think it could be great. I need to paint mine too.
Left a bus stop in its place
The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began
There was cowboy Neal
At the wheel
Of a bus to never-ever land"
DizzyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #19
Bus Nut

i kinda like the orange. sure wouldn't have any trouble finding it in the parking lot at the mall.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c
i kinda like the orange. sure wouldn't have any trouble finding it in the parking lot at the mall.
The orange would look OK, but I'm sorry, it would remind me of driving a UHaul truck. I worked for them for a while and the last thing I want to remember is working for them.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote