Originally Posted by yawnzzz...
... Before this build goes any further the rodent situation needs to be addressed...
Mothballs and Bounce fabric softener sheets are what many RVers use.
How do I keep the "critters" out of my RV during storage?
The best method for keeping the critters out is to use mothballs. The trick to using the mothballs is NOT to scatter them (you'll spend a lot of time looking for "strays" if you do so). Purchase some inexpensive disposable bowls with lids and pour the mothballs into these containers. Poke holes in the containers, sufficient for air flow, but small enough to keep the mothballs "contained" as they diminish in size over time. Place these containers through out your RV, even underbelly storage compartments.
When it comes time to take your RV out of storage it is a simple matter of collecting the containers and airing out your RV.
Another item worth mentioning is the use of fabric softener dryer sheets. Place these inside drawers and cabinets. These are supposed to be good mice deterrents.
Here's some more uses for Bounce...
1. Put one in your dresser drawers to keep clothes smelling fresh
2. A sheet will repel mosquitoes on your patio. Hang a sheet when outdoors during the mosquito season.
3. Placing a sheet in your shoes or sneakers overnight, will help to deodorize them and as a result they will smell much better in the AM.
4. Towel dry your dog and then rub his fur with one to take away the wet dog smell.
5. Place a used fabric softener sheet under ski hats, helmets and other types of hats to keep hair from becoming flyaway when the hat is removed. The sheets can also be lightly brushed over hair that becomes flyaway on other occasions such as vigorous hair brushing.
6. A fragranced sheet can be used to freshen the air in your home. Place an individual sheet in a drawer, hang one in the closet, locker at the health club, locker at work or under the seat of your car or truck. Leave several in the RV or camper while it's in storage.
7. Eliminates static electricity from your television and computer screen. Fabric softener sheets are designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television and computer screen with a used sheet to keep dust from resettling. Only use dry and used sheets because the ingredients in new ones could be harmful to appliances and leave a smudgy residue.
8. A sheet can be used to dissolve soap scum from shower doors, and the tile walls. Clean the surfaces with a sheet.
9. A sewing needle run through a sheet prior to sewing, can prevent the thread from tangling.
10. A sheet left inside suitcase luggage or travel baggage can prevent musty odors. Place a single sheet inside the empty luggage before storing.
11. Fabric softener sheets are claimed to clean baked on foods from cooking pots and pans. Place a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight. Next morning sponge it clean. The antistatic agent apparently weakens the bond between the stuck on food between the pot or pans surface. The fabric softening agents helps to soften the baked on food.
12. Placing a sheet at the bottom of the wastebasket, helps eliminate odors found in wastebaskets. Placing an individual sheet at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper will accomplish the same results.
13. Collecting pet hairs. Rubbing the area with a sheet will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.
14. Eliminating static electricity from venetian blinds and window coverings. Wipe the blinds with a sheet is said to prevent dust from resettling.
15. Wiping up sawdust, on the shop workbench, from drilling or sandpapering is easy. A used sheet will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.
16. They will take the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.
17. Placing them in the air vents of your vehicle will freshen it up.
18. Carry a dryer sheet in your purse for those days when clothes suffer from static cling. Take the dryer sheet and rub it on the inside of your clothes and they will not stick to you anymore.
19. Buff chrome to a brilliant shine After chrome is cleaned, it can still look streaky and dull, but whether itís your toaster or your hubcaps, you can easily buff up the shine with a used dryer softener sheet.
20. Renew grubby stuffed toys Wash fake-fur stuffed animals in the washing machine set on gentle cycle, then put the stuffed animals into the clothes dryer along with a pair of old tennis shoes and a fabric softener sheet, and they will come out fluffy and silky-soft.
21. Consolidate sheets and make them smell pretty To improve sheet storage, store the sheet set in one of the matching pillowcases, and tuck a new dryer fabric softener sheet into the packet for a fresh fragrance.
22. You can place them in picnic baskets to keep ants away, or under lawn furniture. You can even try sticking them in crevices throughout your home to deter ants from entering the house.
23. A dampened fabric softener sheet works extremely well for removing bugs and tree sap from vehicle exteriors. Simply wet down your car and use the dryer sheet over bug spots or moisten a fabric softener sheet and gently rub off tree sap stains from vehicle.
24. Place one sheet of Bounce in a warm basin of water and soak feet for about ten minutes.
25. Many mailmen keep them in their mail bags to keep yellow jackets away, and golfers keep them in their golf bags to keep bees away.
26. Use in the dryer to freshen and soften clothes.
BTW, I don't use fabric softener sheets. And I use the repeating bucket mouse trap