Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Lost my wallet about a month ago. Insurance card was in it. I go to the doctor about once every 5 yrs. Been twice in the past yr. Hopefully I'm caught up now.

Even with insurance, the thumb cost me a few hundred. X-rays and a wrap. Phfft.

Couldn't remember who my insurance was thru, don't have card. Had to email a co-worker. Hopefully the hospital has it sorted out. They said they do but you know how that goes.
Since losing my insurance I've notice a couple positives.
I can go to any Dr any time.
I spend less on medical care. Even with getting a colonoscopy this year I still came out way cheaper.

of course YMMV.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
You're a blessed man to learn for so little cost. As you said, that could have been much worse!! Glad you're healing up.
Praying for a full recovery!!

I recently ripped my hand open in a similar situation. Operating an angle grinder out of proper position doing something stupid that I knew better (been doing metal fabrication over 40 years) but thought I could get away with. No one was home with me (another bad idea). Wrapped it up and drove myself 40 minutes to the Doc-in-a-box. They wouldn't touch it and told me to go to the ER. The bill was almost $3000 for 30 minutes attention in the ER and 10 stitches. No insurance so they lowered it to $1800. In my case, it was stupid tax.

Not to belittle it but that looks like simple stitches. That said, why wouldn't doc-in-the-box stitch it up?!!? My thumb was a doc-in-the-box. Of course there wasn't anything left to stitch in the case of the thumb (table saw).
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
And now I'm putting the guard back on my grinder. I'll be wearing my face shield from now on. Glad it wasn't worse. Hope you heal up quickly.
Mission accomplished then.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Lt'l darlings do bite back. I reared up under a 1/8" x 3/4" x 4" piece of sheet metal trying to quickly answer the garage phone.The steel jabbed right into my right kidney. ER picture after they cleaned me up but before surgery. Wiffy wasn't happy with me--but then I didn't much like it either. Jack

Doesn't look like much but if it got all the way to the kidney, holy hell.

Worst part was the call was a telemarketer?
Old 08-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedy View Post
I hope you heal completely. I am a retired Steamfitter . Back in 80 or 81 a good friend and Union Brother was working alone in a shop about a 1/4 of a mile from the main plant building where all the rest of the nightshift were, using a 9 inch side grinder ( angle grinder) with a I/4 inch thick grinding wheel with all guards in place when the blade exploded. A large piece of it took out some of his intestines and he bled to death probably due to working alone. He had all required safety gear (gloves, face shield, glasses, and work shirt. He had over 30 years experience. Grinders are NOT toys even if you can get one at harbor freight for $29. Don't use blades that have ben dropped chipped or damaged in any way. Try to stay away from the cheap Chinese blades They are not built to the standards that American made expendables are. Keep building but work safe. You wont enjoy your bus if your on the dirty side of the grass.
None of the ER staff knew what an angle grinder is. Wish I had been using the H.F. one. Probably has less torque. Certainly lighter than the Craftsman which is still a cheapy.

I dunno where the blades came from. Their website says "global suppliers".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008K...op_mb_pd_title
Old 08-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Since losing my insurance I've notice a couple positives.
I can go to any Dr any time.
I spend less on medical care. Even with getting a colonoscopy this year I still came out way cheaper.

of course YMMV.
Obama would disagree. Best insurance I had was in the '90s. One co-pays would cover EVERYTHING for that diagnosis. Ex was pregnant; pre-natal, ultrasound, hospital,... all of it cost me $20. Everyone was bitching back then about how expensive medical was. Would live to go back to that.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Obama would disagree. Best insurance I had was in the '90s. One co-pays would cover EVERYTHING for that diagnosis. Ex was pregnant; pre-natal, ultrasound, hospital,... all of it cost me $20. Everyone was bitching back then about how expensive medical was. Would live to go back to that.
I've never thought that being forced to buy a product was very "American". But we let the ins co's write the law and now we're paying the price.

On another note- I've got an appointment to get my MMJ card tuesday.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've never thought that being forced to buy a product was very "American". But we let the ins co's write the law and now we're paying the price.

On another note- I've got an appointment to get my MMJ card tuesday.
Started with auto insurance.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Not to belittle it but that looks like simple stitches. That said, why wouldn't doc-in-the-box stitch it up?!!? My thumb was a doc-in-the-box. Of course there wasn't anything left to stitch in the case of the thumb (table saw).

I thought so too. As it turns out things aren't as simple as they look on the outside. They were concerned about nerve damage due to the location and depth of the cut. I can attest, human muscle looks very much like venison. I got the opportunity to see my own muscle flex (and not through a tiny window) when I moved my thumb. The wound unsupported opened up a good 1/2" wide and tendons and nerve fibers were visible. There's still a bit of numbness today when I rub the scar.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
They were concerned about nerve damage due to the location and depth of the cut.
I see. So, did the real quacks put it together better? From the last moment, maybe not. I wonder if they just use that as an excuse.

Quote:
I can attest, human muscle looks very much like venison.
Muscle is muscle. Meat is meat. Unless you're talking fish or fowl, I doubt there's much visual difference between mammals unless microscope or you know what you're doing.
Quote:

There's still a bit of numbness today when I rub the scar.
My thumb feels like a huge calluse. Above the scar, I can feel pressure but nothing else. There was nothing to put back together. They filled the void with a foam dervied from porcupine. It filled with flesh as it grew back.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
Time to bring home more PPE from work. Thankfully my job encourages us to take PPE home to ensure we don't miss work due to at home accidents. If you're in the Houston area and need something, let me know and I'll see if I can get it.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
super super

glad you did not have damage to your eyeball. scary $#!T. and sorry to hear you were hurt at all.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #33
Bus Nut

I’ve been a metal worker/mechanic/machinist for 30 years. Like we always tell the new ones, reckless ones, etc: Machines have no feelings, no sympathy, no forgiveness or remorse. Only takes a split second like you found out to get maimed or killed.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
After reading this post you'll never guess what I just bought..... yup. I am getting older and now have a wife and dependents so I can't be dumb about things any more. Also been rehabbing my new to me woodstove and those powered wirewheels are a million pieces of wires waiting for a chance to imbed themselves into you. Glad you are okay. could have been much worse. FWIW, I upgraded that one and bought the anti-fog hardened one.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Gillig bros. of hayward ca.
Engine: C180 supercharged cummins
glad it was not worse than it was... i have always tried to be safe..but it is always the hurry up and get it done attitude that gets me into trouble.. i am 67 but still seems like i dont know anything...

and yes i raised the roof on my bus 14".. and made it out alive..
whiskey runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: TS2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 67
"That's gonna leave a mark. "
"Chicks dig scars."
Sorry, thoughts just came to my head. Thanks for sharing. The HF 6in angle grinder with guard removed has been THE tool to make my conversion happen.
Funny kind of luck going on there. Definitely got me thinking safety first.
Is the bus stabilized? Sounds like you were just about to pop the top?
MountainJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:37 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
I sure am sorry to hear that happened to you!

Thanks for the reminder that they call those things "Death Wheels" for a reason!

I watch all the bus conversion videos that come across YouTube and not that long ago there was an experienced conversion guy working on a bus in Canada. He had one come apart and sent him to the ER even with the fact that he had face protection, had gloves AND was wearing long johns as well as a HEAVY DUTY pair of workman coveralls … in the heat of the summer!

The blade hit his arm and despite all the layers of material the "blunt force trauma" was enough to lay him open like a knife.

The ER doc told him that the multiple layers of clothes saved his arm. Otherwise it probably would have been sliced right off!

I like the full face mask shield.

Now go and get yourself some long johns and heavy coveralls to go with it!

Be safe, heal well and try to avoid using those things!
CE42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:51 PM   #38

You got lucky

almost the exact same thing happened to me (3 times), those blades are dangerous, especially when there's no guard. the worst one that happened to me was when it went through my shirt in to my right upper chest just below the right shoulder (man it looked bad). I now wear a welders leather jacket, that face shield and leather gloves (that **** will tear you up in a second). hope you're doing better
Coolbreezetravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:01 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreezetravels View Post
almost the exact same thing happened to me (3 times), those blades are dangerous, especially when there's no guard. the worst one that happened to me was when it went through my shirt in to my right upper chest just below the right shoulder (man it looked bad). I now wear a welders leather jacket, that face shield and leather gloves (that **** will tear you up in a second). hope you're doing better
At least once a week I see some yahoo on YouTube using one of these wheels with no gloves, no eye protection at all and wearing short pants!

On top of that a lot of them are using the cheapo wheels from Harbor Freight (which I do have some of myself) and I know those break even easier than the more expensive ones.

Then I watch them "push" the wheel too hard instead of waiting for it to do the job at the right pace.

I just shake my head, figure that it is "Evolution at Work" and hope like hell that they haven't already bred!

CE42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:48 AM   #40

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Rated Cap: 28,000
I’ll be ordering a full face shield. Thanks for the reminder that we’re fragile ... glad it wasn’t worse. Even though it looks bad!
Nsnodgrass73 is offline   Reply With Quote