Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Forewarned!! Pics a little gruesome...

So, if you are continuing on, you've been warned.

Tues night out at the bus I thought I'd get the last of the ribs cut for the roof raise. Got the very front ones cut. I ended up having to cut thru the sheet metal of the roof which I didn't really want to do but I saw no way around it. Sawz All couldn't get in there. The 4" cutting disks couldn't reach all the way thru either. So, I bought some 6" disks. Again not what I wanted but it worked. I'll weld the sheet metal cut and grind it down.

At 7:07pm or there abouts, I figured there was enough day light left to cut the rear most ribs. There's sheet metal around those too but with the rivets out, there is a gap and I was hoping to spare the skins.

Using the 6" cutting disks again/still, I started cutting the rear passenger side. Things were goin fine until they weren't. This is not a plug for sympathy. This is a plug for safety equipment. All along even with the 4" disks I was thinking I should get some. Stubborn I suppose. Lazy too. Go buy some, I'll wait....

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Bio...or+%28S8500%29

Got the order placed? Good, expect you over in the corner, go on. Buy some now.
Alright, moving on...

Well, here's the gruesome. The disk caught on something. At 10,000 rpm it didn't want to stop. It bucked. Hard enough that even with two hands on the grinder, it came back and hit me in the face. I immediately grabbed my eye and knew I had phucked up good this time. Never felt it hit my arm or chest on its way to the ground.

Whatever caught was enough to tear the center out of the disk.

This is your last chance to back out of the gruesome.
Arm...

Chest...

This is about an hour maybe 2 after...

24 hrs later...

Today (70 hrs later) it's looking a little more purple but I can open the eye a little.

So, the eyeball is fine. It didn't hurt much then n or now. Didn't even touch it. Because of the tear in the corner of the eyelid, I was transferred from one hospital to another and waited for a plastic surgeon. She said I can now say I've had plastic surgery. She did a decent job but I'm still no Brad Pit or George Cluney (sp).

I had a friend/co-worker out Tues night just by the randomness of walking by his desk telling him he should come out and give me a hand. Had I not, I would have had to drive to the hospital with one hand over an eye and the other steering and shifting gears.

Yes, I know how VERY lucky I was that it wasn't MUCH worse. Yes, a full face mask is due to be delivered today. It looks fairly fancy having both a top and bottom re-enforcement and was still only $20. So, if you don't have one, go buy one. Your face will thank you and even if it doesn't you're still only out $20.

I'll be taking a couple of weeks off of metal work. Doctors orders.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180814_193946.jpg   IMG_20180815_094056.jpg   IMG_20180815_175711.jpg   Mask.jpg   IMG_20180816_092410.jpg  

IMG_20180816_092343.jpg   IMG_20180817_163854.jpg  

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Looks and sounds like someone was looking after you...

I've been nearby for the aftermath of a 6" grinding wheel (not cutoff wheel) explosion.. sent a large chunk through the guys throat. Almost bled out before they could get him on the table.

I've also had countless cutoff wheels shatter... still not smart enough to order a good face shield.

I think I'll add one to my shopping cart tonight though. Just never think about it until its too late.

Glad you are ok though.. looks like it'll heal up.
Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Cut off wheels are very unforgiving, especially when we "professionals" take all the guards off. I've been to the bone twice on fingers. You learn respect after the first time. Even now in the bus I make sure I have a serious grip on that sucker because it does scare you what could happen, the older we get the longer it takes to heal. Take care buddy.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Prayers for a speedy recovery.

I had to use my grinder in an akward space today, I did dust off my full face shield and use it. I try really hard to make sure I am not inline with the disc in case it shatters. That does not help if it grabs but at least offers some margin of safety.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Looks like a normal Saturday night to me, seriously tho glad it's not worse
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Holy ****, that looks bad, Your insurance, I hope you have , is likely paying a bit more then your bus is worth .
Good luck,

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
You're a blessed man to learn for so little cost. As you said, that could have been much worse!! Glad you're healing up.
Praying for a full recovery!!

I recently ripped my hand open in a similar situation. Operating an angle grinder out of proper position doing something stupid that I knew better (been doing metal fabrication over 40 years) but thought I could get away with. No one was home with me (another bad idea). Wrapped it up and drove myself 40 minutes to the Doc-in-a-box. They wouldn't touch it and told me to go to the ER. The bill was almost $3000 for 30 minutes attention in the ER and 10 stitches. No insurance so they lowered it to $1800. In my case, it was stupid tax.

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
And now I'm putting the guard back on my grinder. I'll be wearing my face shield from now on. Glad it wasn't worse. Hope you heal up quickly.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
And now I'm putting the guard back on my grinder. I'll be wearing my face shield from now on.

Wise decision!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
That's terrible man. As a mechanic, I have sustained some pretty nasty injuries, but the recovery is the worst. Take it easy bud.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
You warned me, but I looked anyway......holy ****.

That was very close to being a life-changing event......very glad it wasn't worse. If those pics don't convince people to wear their PPEs, nothing will.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Lt'l darlings do bite back. I reared up under a 1/8" x 3/4" x 4" piece of sheet metal trying to quickly answer the garage phone.The steel jabbed right into my right kidney. ER picture after they cleaned me up but before surgery. Wiffy wasn't happy with me--but then I didn't much like it either. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
And now I'm putting the guard back on my grinder. I'll be wearing my face shield from now on. Glad it wasn't worse. Hope you heal up quickly.
I always wear my safety gear when using a cutoff wheel. Face shield, gloves, safety glasses UNDER shield, guard on the grinder.
How you hold it is also very important.

My most recent incident with a grinder didn't hurt me but it did kill my trusty Hitachi.

Hope you heal up quickly Bob!
GLAD you get to keep the eye!!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:23 AM   #14
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
Damn! Glad you didn't damage anything permanent, and a great reminder to everyone. Grinders are always one twitch away from trying to kill you. Dress appropriately.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:36 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
So, if you are continuing on, you've been warned.

Tues night out at the bus I thought I'd get the last of the ribs cut for the roof raise. Got the very front ones cut. I ended up having to cut thru the sheet metal of the roof which I didn't really want to do but I saw no way around it. Sawz All couldn't get in there. The 4" cutting disks couldn't reach all the way thru either. So, I bought some 6" disks. Again not what I wanted but it worked. I'll weld the sheet metal cut and grind it down.

At 7:07pm or there abouts, I figured there was enough day light left to cut the rear most ribs. There's sheet metal around those too but with the rivets out, there is a gap and I was hoping to spare the skins.

Using the 6" cutting disks again/still, I started cutting the rear passenger side. Things were goin fine until they weren't. This is not a plug for sympathy. This is a plug for safety equipment. All along even with the 4" disks I was thinking I should get some. Stubborn I suppose. Lazy too. Go buy some, I'll wait....

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Bio...or+%28S8500%29

Got the order placed? Good, expect you over in the corner, go on. Buy some now.
Alright, moving on...

Well, here's the gruesome. The disk caught on something. At 10,000 rpm it didn't want to stop. It bucked. Hard enough that even with two hands on the grinder, it came back and hit me in the face. I immediately grabbed my eye and knew I had phucked up good this time. Never felt it hit my arm or chest on its way to the ground.

Whatever caught was enough to tear the center out of the disk.

This is your last chance to back out of the gruesome.
Arm...

Chest...

This is about an hour maybe 2 after...

24 hrs later...

Today (70 hrs later) it's looking a little more purple but I can open the eye a little.

So, the eyeball is fine. It didn't hurt much then n or now. Didn't even touch it. Because of the tear in the corner of the eyelid, I was transferred from one hospital to another and waited for a plastic surgeon. She said I can now say I've had plastic surgery. She did a decent job but I'm still no Brad Pit or George Cluney (sp).

I had a friend/co-worker out Tues night just by the randomness of walking by his desk telling him he should come out and give me a hand. Had I not, I would have had to drive to the hospital with one hand over an eye and the other steering and shifting gears.

Yes, I know how VERY lucky I was that it wasn't MUCH worse. Yes, a full face mask is due to be delivered today. It looks fairly fancy having both a top and bottom re-enforcement and was still only $20. So, if you don't have one, go buy one. Your face will thank you and even if it doesn't you're still only out $20.

I'll be taking a couple of weeks off of metal work. Doctors orders.
Good Lord that was a close one! My grandfather was blind in one eye from a welding incident so I am good about using safety glasses and I use the a full face shield with the grinder and leather gloves and a long sleeved denim shirt. My face shield isn't that great though. I wonder if something horrible would go right thru it or be deflected by the curve? If I need to do a lot more to hang stuff under the bus I may get a better one.

I'm glad your eye is fine and I hope you heal up well. Thanks for the reminder to use our PPE. I sliced the edge of my finger again today. I was just cleaning the metal so I had taken my leather gloves off. I scrub pretty enthusiastically!!
Old 08-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
ZOWIE!! Very sorry to see/hear that Bob! I too think someone was watching over you. Sure hope you have a full and speedy recovery!

Thanks for the reminder about safety! Easy to forget....
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: B8000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 24
I hope you heal completely. I am a retired Steamfitter . Back in 80 or 81 a good friend and Union Brother was working alone in a shop about a 1/4 of a mile from the main plant building where all the rest of the nightshift were, using a 9 inch side grinder ( angle grinder) with a I/4 inch thick grinding wheel with all guards in place when the blade exploded. A large piece of it took out some of his intestines and he bled to death probably due to working alone. He had all required safety gear (gloves, face shield, glasses, and work shirt. He had over 30 years experience. Grinders are NOT toys even if you can get one at harbor freight for $29. Don't use blades that have ben dropped chipped or damaged in any way. Try to stay away from the cheap Chinese blades They are not built to the standards that American made expendables are. Keep building but work safe. You wont enjoy your bus if your on the dirty side of the grass.
reedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
I've been nearby for the aftermath of a 6" grinding wheel (not cutoff wheel) explosion.. sent a large chunk through the guys throat. Almost bled out before they could get him on the table.
Never had a grinding wheel come apart. That has to be scary without hitting anyone.
Quote:

I think I'll add one to my shopping cart tonight though. Just never think about it until its too late.
Ditto. Please do.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
I try really hard to make sure I am not inline with the disc in case it shatters. That does not help if it grabs but at least offers some margin of safety.
That was my previous nod towards safety. No more.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Holy ****, that looks bad, Your insurance, I hope you have , is likely paying a bit more then your bus is worth .
Good luck,

Later J
Lost my wallet about a month ago. Insurance card was in it. I go to the doctor about once every 5 yrs. Been twice in the past yr. Hopefully I'm caught up now.

Even with insurance, the thumb cost me a few hundred. X-rays and a wrap. Phfft.

Couldn't remember who my insurance was thru, don't have card. Had to email a co-worker. Hopefully the hospital has it sorted out. They said they do but you know how that goes.