Old 05-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I was able to salvage all the tanks from an old coachmen that fit perfect behind my rear axle 35- black,35-grey,65-fresh. They were loose in my frame so I insulated with 2"thick poly-iso rigid board with foil backing board (also salvaged from my work) which made them tight enough I had to use sheetmetal as as a skid plate to re-install(tight fit) in the frame of the bus and my support framing is just as tight but no baffles and for now I don't plan on running with anything in the drain tank but I do want to head out with a full water supply from my house. No baffles in that tank either and haven't been on the road like that yet but in my bus I don't think it will even be noticed?
And with a trailer hooked up I know it won't be.
Filters are a definite and I had a damn good set-up from a RO job I did (sorry reverse osmosis job) until I priced the filters to replace?
Any kind of plastic tubing definitely needs a PRV(pressure reducing valve ) and not to be confused with a PRV (pressure relief valve that should/NEEDS to be on every water heater)sorry steam fitter by trade and a long story there?
I used all hard copper for my build because I was capable and had full access to it and all appurtenances at the time.
Just like wire (don't use soft copper water piping) use stranded wire not solid. The more you bend (vibration) soft copper the harder it gets and will eventually break just like using solid wire verses stranded.
My water tanks are solid and a little lower than what I wanted? But there was a discussin before about the plastic weld spin in fitting's that makes me want to attempt a plug and raise on mine? Other wise I will just build a 1/4" steel skid plate to protect them.
My wife's family has a little chunk of hunting land in MONTELL,TX that has a 5' river to cross 20-30' past the bump gate and the Jolly Roger is going to be there before they give up (even at 49 mph) they are 80 plus and he has retired twice as an oilfield welder including offshore out of corpus and put me to his test when I came home with his granddaughter 15- yrs ago and offered me a truck and all (tough man and a tough way to spend my first vaca in 10-yrs ) couldn't walk away from the boss I had in NC then? Still stuck in N.C. But getting closer to going home TEXAS.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:35 AM   #12
Site Team
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Wrapping the translucent tanks in insulation and a heater panel would solve the algea and freezing in cold weather problems in one go.

I think a lot of plastic taste comes from cheap rv fixtures, and the filler hose. You might consider an ozone injector if you are sensitive to water taste.

Having a provision for both city pressure and gravity fill would be smart I think.

Look into the capacitive tank monitoring systems. They are just peel and stick on the side of the tank no holes.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #13
Bus Nut
Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
i used the translucent tanks and pex plumbing in my build. cant say i have ever noticed a plastic taste to the water.

my water tank is tucked under a bed and only gets indirect light when i open/close the door. the rest of the time its in the dark. no algae in a 3 years use.

i like the translucent, only for the fact that you can see the water level. handy when filling and handy while camping to gauge your water use. i have no tank gauges.

i carry about 50 gallons water when full.
Turfmobile Build Thread
turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
Bus Crazy
Chassis: '97 BB TC1000, 5.9l
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
A little food grade hydrogen peroxide will keep your tanks from smelling like a fish tank.

Beyond that there are some goldfish you could drop in the tank to eat the algae, but this method has it's own problems.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote