Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 5.9 + Allison 3060
Rated Cap: Full size
Friendly Thomas

Last Friday I bought a full size 2003 Thomas with a 5.9 Cummins and Allison 3060. It's got a high top roof and a bunch of big storage compartments underneath. It has very minimal rust, all the buttons work, and it even has an intercom.

I drove it 500 miles already and it's quite a joy. I'd never driven something that gives me such a wonderful view! The only downside is that the engine is in the front, which makes it louder than I'd like, but I have noise cancelling headphones that make it alright. The driver's seat has something in it that causes it to glide up and down when the bus goes over bumps, which makes it pretty comfortable.

The seller offered to remove the seats and dispose of them for $500, which I didn't do. I kinda regret that, because it took me over a week to get them unbolted because I'm usually working alone and the indentations in the seat feet mean that an angle grinder doesn't work. I ended up paying $150 to dispose of the seats, and still have two feet that I'll need to deal with. The seat itself was torn apart by someone who meant well, but now I have sharp metal sticking out of the floor and have temporarily covered it with foam while I try to figure out what to do.

I am debating on whether or not to remove the rubber or just lay floor on top of it. It is in pretty good condition other than needing to be mopped and there are no soft spots or signs of rust. I'm leaning towards keeping it.

Today I started cleaning the nooks and crannies and there sure are a lot of them! Years of dust and dirt building up in the little corners that is hard to get to. I'd appreciate any tips on how to make that go easier.

I'm also debating what to do about the metal panels under the windows. They are kinda gross and there is insulation behind them that I'll likely want to replace.

OlgaAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Welcome to the site!

For future bus buyers, Good-Will took my seats off my hands for free, and even helped me carry them from the bus to the store.

If you got the time, sell them on craigslist....especially if you are near the border of Mexico. They haven't been trained to think of the disposable lifestyle yet.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
First time in an air seat?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Congrats on acquiring your new bus.
As you've already discovered, now the "fun" begins!
Don't get discouraged at the time and amount of work ahead of you.
Simply work one part at a time and it will eventually pay off.
Good luck and post pics if you feel like it, going forward...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Sounds like a nice rig, and has lots of potential.
Air ride seats are nice, and there is options to hush the sounds of that engine.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Your driver seat should have a toggle somewhere to adjust the air pressure. If you're bouncing too much just increase the pressure a bit.
Enjoy the bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
The trip home is always memorable. Now the fun begins! I would definitely remove all flooring, down to the metal. There will be rust under there.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Skoolie

Well, these past few weeks have seen a lot!

Those pesky two feet are out, the new floor is in, there is a toilet and a mattress and pretty much everything I own -- the largest of which is now a large hard-sided storage box containing more tools than I ever knew had names!

There is a power box that can charge my phone, a small generator, a big dog, both a fire extinguisher and a fire starter (adjustable propane torch that is useful for "cleaning cobwebs" when there are suspicious characters around), and a ton of cleaning rags and sprays.

I'm experimenting with how to put up curtains, deciding on a floor plan, and peppering the ceiling and walls with magnets so I can use magnet-lined sheets as temporary walls.

I took off the housing that goes above the window in one part and learned that it will not go back into place. I found a printed poem that Bryony wrote in 2007 about how a boy cheated on her and ripped her heart in two. I also found a hand-written note about the secret romance of "Ethan and Noah, sitting in a seat." I hope that Bryony has found a more deserving partner than that unfaithful low-life, and that Ethan and Noah are still sitting together somewhere, ideally in a much cleaner and more comfortable seat.

I'm trying to decide what to do about the exposed wires that were covered by the housing. I'm thinking to make an L-shaped shelf around the height anyway, and can put the wires in the back of that. I'm trying to decide if I should do this along the full length of the bus or if I want to leave anywhere empty. I'm also deciding on what to do about the lip where the seats used to rest. I'm not sure if I want to insulate and cover the top and bottom separately or do it with a single panel. I can have a lot of trouble with decision paralysis, so if anyone has advice, I'd sure appreciate it!

Last thing, is there any good argument against putting the bedroom in the front, behind the driver's seat? I very much do not want to drill holes through the floor, so I'm thinking about setting my bathroom/shower/kitchen in the rear of the bus so I can use gravity to have the water flow out the back door into a portable RV dump tank that I keep in one of the underbelly storage compartments. I want to use absolute minimum water, to the point of not even using a 12v water pump for the sink. I am planning to have a small water reservoir that will sit above the sink, and a solar shower bag that hangs from the ceiling. I really hate dealing with grey and black water, and I find that I'm a lot less wasteful with my water use when I rely only on gravity and have to lift up every gallon that I want to use. The downside to this is that I have to walk the whole length of the bus if I want to use the toilet at night. Based on my limited time in the bus, this doesn't seem too bad, but I'm not sure if I will regret that choice a few months from now. Any experienced people want to weigh in?
Attached Thumbnails
D1CD83EC-A0EC-4422-B082-046904CE42AA.jpeg   DF01BE22-FB27-4612-9D40-08618B098384.jpeg   56EC51B3-3CD2-4463-A627-9811607D86D5.jpg   CEE8C186-5CE6-43CD-8566-E546EDE9BD64.jpg  
Old 06-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaAK View Post

Those pesky two feet are out, the new floor is in, there is a toilet and a mattress and pretty much everything I own -- the largest of which is now a large hard-sided storage box containing more tools than I ever knew had names!

There is a power box that can charge my phone, a small generator, a big dog, both a fire extinguisher and a fire starter (adjustable propane torch that is useful for "cleaning cobwebs" when there are suspicious characters around), and a ton of cleaning rags and sprays.

I'm experimenting with how to put up curtains, deciding on a floor plan, and peppering the ceiling and walls with magnets so I can use magnet-lined sheets as temporary walls.

I took off the housing that goes above the window in one part and learned that it will not go back into place. I found a printed poem that Bryony wrote in 2007 about how a boy cheated on her and ripped her heart in two. I also found a hand-written note about the secret romance of "Ethan and Noah, sitting in a seat." I hope that Bryony has found a more deserving partner than that unfaithful low-life, and that Ethan and Noah are still sitting together somewhere, ideally in a much cleaner and more comfortable seat.

I'm trying to decide what to do about the exposed wires that were covered by the housing. I'm thinking to make an L-shaped shelf around the height anyway, and can put the wires in the back of that. I'm trying to decide if I should do this along the full length of the bus or if I want to leave anywhere empty. I'm also deciding on what to do about the lip where the seats used to rest. I'm not sure if I want to insulate and cover the top and bottom separately or do it with a single panel. I can have a lot of trouble with decision paralysis, so if anyone has advice, I'd sure appreciate it!

Last thing, is there any good argument against putting the bedroom in the front, behind the driver's seat? I very much do not want to drill holes through the floor, so I'm thinking about setting my bathroom/shower/kitchen in the rear of the bus so I can use gravity to have the water flow out the back door into a portable RV dump tank that I keep in one of the underbelly storage compartments. I want to use absolute minimum water, to the point of not even using a 12v water pump for the sink. I am planning to have a small water reservoir that will sit above the sink, and a solar shower bag that hangs from the ceiling. I really hate dealing with grey and black water, and I find that I'm a lot less wasteful with my water use when I rely only on gravity and have to lift up every gallon that I want to use. The downside to this is that I have to walk the whole length of the bus if I want to use the toilet at night. Based on my limited time in the bus, this doesn't seem too bad, but I'm not sure if I will regret that choice a few months from now. Any experienced people want to weigh in?
cute history, cute dog, and problems of a skoolie owner
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:

My suggestion is to look at other builds and steal their ideas. That's what my wife and I have done over the past 7+ years. Our build is getting to, as Winston Churchill best put it, "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

What an upbeat chap huh?

M
Old 06-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
My suggestion is to look at other builds and steal their ideas. That's what my wife and I have done over the past 7+ years. Our build is getting to, as Winston Churchill best put it, "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

What an upbeat chap huh?

M
An exceptional man, sharp as a tack and his witty comebacks were as fast as a Bob Munden draw.

one more quote pertaining to Skoolies from Sir Winston Churchill

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

And one for a chuckle

"Whiskey has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whiskey than bullets."

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
The electrical channel (cover) should go right back where it was. What problems did you encounter in trying to get it back in place?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
The electrical channel (cover) should go right back where it was. What problems did you encounter in trying to get it back in place?
It was too tight and awkwardly long to get back in on my own. I got a friend to help hold it and now is back in place.

Today I have some very good news! After many trips and hours of waiting at the DMV, Friendly Thomas is now titled as an automobile and the body type is motorhome (MH)! It was previously a commercial vehicle with body type bus (BU). I've read that just having it as automobile with BU type could be problematic, so I'm glad that I read enough about the laws here to convince the inspector to change the body type in addition to the automobile designation.

A possible tip for avoiding hassle at the DMV when getting your title changed: put your bed in the front and have a huge and very friendly dog in the rear. The inspector asked a couple questions about the facilities and just took my word for everything. I explained that there is a workspace, a bathroom, water, some stuff for meals, and a bunch of dog toys (all true) but they didn't actually go into the back to check the bolts on my toilet or anything because of the dog. This definitely is not foolproof because some inspectors might want to go in the back just to play with your dog!
Attached Thumbnails
B2B162D4-98EA-450F-865F-301C12819A26.jpeg  
Old 06-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
Bus Geek

I am glad you were able to get the electrical channel back in place.

I am stoked that you have your bus registered as a MH ... we are in the process of doing just that.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #15
Skoolie

What is the benefit of keeping the cover on? It is quite large for such a small bundle of wires.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
Bus Geek

To protect the wires, of course. However, as long as you are satisfied with some other covering, go for it!
Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #17
Skoolie

Thanks! I am thinking to put a shelf there and have the wires at the back edge of the shelf in some sort of housing that would fit against the flat edge of the shelf
Old 06-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #18
Skoolie

This bus is too big. I just laid out lines of where I plan for everything to go and got to the middle of the back wheel wells and was finished. That leaves a 12.5 x 7.5 foot "room" in the back that I don't know that to do with.

I think it's time to go back to looking at other people's layouts and rethink my plans. I'm used to living in a very small space so I honestly don't know what to do with that back area other than maybe a bunk and a desk as a space for guests?
Old 06-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
This bus is too big. I just laid out lines of where I plan for everything to go and got to the middle of the back wheel wells and was finished. That leaves a 12.5 x 7.5 foot "room" in the back that I don't know that to do with.

I think it's time to go back to looking at other people's layouts and rethink my plans. I'm used to living in a very small space so I honestly don't know what to do with that back area other than maybe a bunk and a desk as a space for guests?

that's what l'm hoping for in my bus, so l can have a nice big garage
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:

"Better looking at it than for it!"

Words of a very wise man, not me of course.

Gives you more options for future brainwaves.

John