Old 09-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Dragonpop and nat_ster, thanks for that info. My favorite part of build threads is reading all the knowledge other members bring to them, so I'm learning a lot from stuff like this.

Nat, are you recommending cutting directly through the rails with the wood blade and then removing the bolts another way? The bolts are the real problem (they're steel), and even if we cut through the aluminum rails, they don't budge. Mr. phoenix tried cutting straight through the aluminum (unsuccessfully, he used the abrasive blade), but said he'll give it another go with the wood blade and see what happens.

Dragonpop, we'll pick up a split point bit today and give it a try.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Tried cutting through the rails using a wood saw blade, and it worked all right, but still doesn't do anything to touch the bolts. Working on a few ways to drill them out.

But in the meantime, I got this Wedgewood apartment stove (will convert it to propane) on craigslist:

I love vintage stoves; they are built like tanks. It looks big in the picture, but is only 22" wide. It needs a lot of cleanup, but for $50 it was a pretty sweet deal.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
That's a beautiful appliance!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Ohhhh...nice! --- I'm also a fan of the early appliances. Had a Chambers many years back. Best damned stove I've ever owned. I would take one of them over any fancy, schmancy Viking or Wolf any day.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Yeah your $50 cool stove may trump my free one.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:44 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Once you use the wood saw to cut the aluminum rails into sections between every bolt, you can pry the rail chunks up, breaking them from around the bolts. Once you remove the plywood around the bolts, you can use a angle grinder to cut the head off the bolt.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

7 of the 10 rails are out, with a combination of cutting, prying up the plywood, and using an angle grinder (disc). Slowly but surely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That's a beautiful appliance!
Thank you! I don't get excited about engines or tools, but the superficial stuff like appliances and finishes is pretty thrilling. It was nice to take a break from the more tedious jobs and just do something fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Ohhhh...nice! --- I'm also a fan of the early appliances. Had a Chambers many years back. Best damned stove I've ever owned. I would take one of them over any fancy, schmancy Viking or Wolf any day.
Those Chambers are beauties. My last oven was an O'Keefe & Merritt--to me, perfection. I would choose a good vintage stove any day too, no fussy electronics and you know exactly what everything does.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Progress is good.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Glad to here your making progress on getting the rails out about to start on getting them out tomorrow.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, progress is definitely good! Rails are out. Plywood is out. And we found the rust we were looking for under the coolant heaters:

The massive Ricon wheelchair lift that came with the bus is out. I advertised it on craigslist for $400 and had some interest, but the interest disappeared once people realized it weighs 450 pounds. Donating it was also a possibility, but in the end we couldn't find a place that would work.

Some posters have had luck lowering it to the ground and them disassembling it, but the bus is too close to our fence for it to extend fully. Since we knew we wouldn't use it anyway, mr. phoenix laid it down inside the bus, cut it up, and removed it in pieces. That big open door has such a nice view now.

The Webasto heater and two under seat coolant heaters are also out. mr. phoenix cut the lines, drained the coolant, and looped the hose in on itself.

Note the Tecate box in the photos. I can't believe we went without beerspiration for so long.

The rails, lift, and heaters felt like the biggest hurdles. Here's the bus now.

Next is grinding down the rust, treating it with ospho, and painting with Rustoleum.

The small area under the driver's seat still has the rubber floor and plywood intact. Is there anything I should keep in mind before unbolting the seat and pulling it all up?