Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #101
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas? Safe-t-liner
Engine: 6bta5.9
Rated Cap: 78
Re: G Bus Progress

Well not much to report, I have really been working on the house a lot and trying to get it ready for showing and then eventually sale. Also working on some projects for money as you gotta do this to eat and live and whatnot.

DID however fix my sweet Honda generator, It is an EX350 that is right makes 350 amps.... so great for charing phone, battery in case of emergency, and running fans and possibly the TV. Still wicked cool, and will probably run for hours on a gallon.

See video here, charging up a small sealed battery I keep around for testing bulbs and other 12v machines.

rjz5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #102
Skoolie

Hey Ya'll it has been a long time since i posted but i have been creeping occasionally.

well i haven't messed with the running much at all. I have only driven it to get the NC safety inspection the last two years!!! it hasn't moved accept for around the yard other than to take it for inspection. I may eventually just bite the bullet and pay to have both the IP and the injectors tested at the local diesel shop just to rule them out. Then (or before) throw in the 3200 rpm spring.

But the great news is that I have been Full Timing in it for the past three months. I got a job back here after I had moved into an Apartment in raleigh (about 1.9 hours away) so i moved in with no power or facilities. I have been upgrading it slowly while working a lot of hours and now have a T pole on the property, a built in composting toilet 5 gallon bucket setup, a window refer in the bedroom and so on. So I will try to update as it goes but anyway just wanted to check in.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #103
Bus Geek

Good to hear, it will all work out!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #104
Skoolie

about time to start the updates again I geuss. We are about to move in full time for a bit!! have some parts on order and some other things in the works but repainting, plumbing, adding some better electrical outlets, new fridge, tub/shower, and so on. ill throw up a couple shots for proof we have been doing some stuff.
when we get back from a short PR trip ill be posting and working more until i return to my actual job at the end of next month....

Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #105

how did u drive it back from dealer plate wise ? im looking at same dealership if prices are still same
Jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #106
Skoolie

^^^I persuaded them to give me a 30 day tag, i think they went for it mostly because i was taking it out of state immediately. I don't have a CDL or any insurance on it, pretty dumb now that i think about it to drive a 22K lb bus without any experience or insurance.... Oh well it worked out ok. ^^^^

bad news on the bus living update, my neighbors reported me to the local zoning people again and they told me i can "live" in my bus in the county. I can stay in it, but too often and it is a big deal apparently. So bus frenzy is on hold for a while until who knows really, might do some maintenance and whatnot until i figure out a good trip or campground to go visit. here are some pics in the meantime.

we bought a propane on demand heater and a stainless three tub sink to convert into our shower tub, as well as some new hose and whatnot but probably not much to report for a bit.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #107
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
If that was my neighbor, they would regret the rest of their lives.

People stick their nose in my business, I put my whole body in theirs. I have way more time than they do.

I sure wish people would mind their own business.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #108
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Sucks you have narc-ing neighbors.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #109
Skoolie

Yea I think it is just one, she has been a bother a bunch and the worst part is she does it "anonymously" and so they can't even let her know that there isn't an issue after they come and inspect.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #110
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjz5400 View Post
Yea I think it is just one, she has been a bother a bunch and the worst part is she does it "anonymously" and so they can't even let her know that there isn't an issue after they come and inspect.
Likely living off some sort of government money, with nothing better to do.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #111
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I noticed your tankless heater is rated "exterior use only". Take that seriously. There are a few sad tales about RV folks using them inside their rigs with fatal results. Properly vented, they seem to be OK ...just make sure to read up on them or keep it outdoors.

Not trying to be a nay-sayer, it's just what I came across while researching them myself and want to be sure our Skoolie friends get the word.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #112
Skoolie

oh surely, yea good eye on that one. I am just storing it inside until I install it. I plan to mount it under the bus behind the wheel probably and just insulate the main run into the bus.

it does have a stack of sorts but I am going to run it in the open air under the bus maybe with a 90' elbow to point the "exhaust" out the side and with a split HW output so I can have outside showers also!! (with biodegradable soap or course)

Forgot to mention it is no power needed! just 2 D batteries and water pressure.... and propane of course.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #113
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I think I would be anonymously reporting that lady for stuff. If it turns out that she didn't do it, it won't get back to you, like giving her some of her own medicine. Does she have a pet Maybe it makes too much noise. Does she throw loud parties? Does it look like someone is making crack in her shed? Is she feeding protected animals? Maybe, maybe not.
Take my advice for what its worth.
Always use a payphone or a prepaid cel phone. Its just part of being off the Matrix grid.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #114
Skoolie

I may try some sugar before the vinegar, i was told by the zoning people that if no-one complains then there really isn't a problem.

So these are all great ideas but the way I see it I still have one more good chance to try again before i get an official "violation"

She is an old retired sheriff's deputy and she doesn't get it, plus there may be some culture/race/age issues going on there? Who knows, I am surrounded by single and double wide trailers by the way, not really bringing down the neighborhood.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #115
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
;)Oh, so they're jealous of your "fancy rig" sitting in their park, eh?
Paint "meth lab" on the side, maybe they'll appreciate you more!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #116
Mini-Skoolie

On the tankless with the battery igniter thing
My friend was using his and the battery lost its connection
He turned on his hot water and it ran cold, he went out to check it out
Saw the battery disconnected and just plugged it in. ...and fireball/ hilariousnes unfolded in my yard. Burned off half his beard and eyebrows. Called him two face for the next week

They don't all have the best safety features being a outdoor unit, use caution
But they do work great for a shower
Old 02-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #117
Skoolie

Well at least he didn't "washwithgasoline" it could have been worse. Yea there are many reasons why automatic on demand things are best left exposed to the air.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #118
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
tankless water heater

First, take Tango's advice to heart. That being said, I have a Ecotemp on demand water heater built into my bus interior. I built a steel, enclosed case to house the heater and both water pumps. The enclosure is sealed to the interior and gets it's air through a filter screen in the floor. The exhaust is through a screened vent installed in place of a window in the rear wall of the bus. These heaters produce a LOT of heat and that heat must be able to freely escape. I don't believe that would be possible with the heater mounted below the floor. Also, I lined the enclosure with woven heat shield--the stuff used to wrap exhaust headers on hot rods.

I do have access holes to allow for adjusting the heater and replacing it's batteries. I can also access the pumps. The holes are covered with steel plates which are secured with many screws as they need only be opened periodically.

As you know, these heaters require both a constant flow of water and a minimum water pressure to light off. Ecotemp now offers a pump kit with a pump with adequate pressure and flow to get the job done. It is what I have installed on mine. I use a water recirculating pump to keep the heater from rapidly cycling on and off. It seems that there is a bit of fuel still in the unit when the igniter shuts off which isn't a problem unless the gas and igniter turn on again before the bit of unburned fuel has disapated. I discovered that if the on off cycle didn't allow for the disipation of the unburned fuel, there would sometimes be an explosive relight--something the proper pump and water recirculating circuit cured. I moved the igniter switch from the heater body to a convenient location in the bus as this allows me to turn the heater on and off more easily and saves on battery use and the associated headaches. Jack

In this pic you can see the heater enclosure on the back wall. The access holes are uncovered. Also, note the slanted top of the cover. This helps direct the exhaust out the top vent and keeps the unwary from using the top of the cover as a shelf.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #119
Skoolie

hmmnn all useful thoughts, I like the setup you have there and thanks for the ecotemp specific quirks! I will definitely have to consider the heat as well as the fumes when I mount and vent the unit. it will maybe be better back in the engine area rather than under the body somewhere.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #120
Skoolie

No real progress to report, nothing happening with the bus. The only real reason I haven't pulled the plate is that Its such a hassle to get it reinsured I bet that it is worth the few hundred a year to just keep it.

It is possible that I would be working out of town soon and for a while so that might be its next trip.

anyway recent pic. We covered a few more windows and thats about it.