Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Gator Tailgating Bus Build

What has everyone done to take care of the gap from the ceiling curve in the A/C? I thought about shaving the edges of the ceiling unit down so it will sit flush. Was just going to leave it alone but it annoys me to no end.

[img}http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/gatorbus/?action=view&current=P6210271.jpg[/img]

kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #22
Bus Nut

The picture posting thing has got the best of me
Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #23
Bus Nut

The PEX was a PITA. It kinked up really easy, doesnt bend well - only long gradual bends - fittings are tough to find in Florida and it is farily expensive considering all of the crap you need. The only good deal was Lowes had it on sale for $20 for a 50ft 1/2in roll. I had to go from 3/8 on my tank to 1/2 PEX and I probably ended up with 5 different pieces to make it adapt, this would not have been as tough with PVC. I also plan on taking the $60 crimping tool back to Home Depot after I make my 3 connections. I never had an issue with PVC but it seemed that everyone said to use PEX because it was easy. To each their own I guess.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Hacked away some more this weekend. Got some more walls framed, sink drain hole drilled and vent line ran through the roof. We cut the vantiy to fit over the wheel well and it seems to fit really well. We are going to try and stain the luan then permanantly mount the vanity.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Worked on the bathroom this weekend, new pictures up on photobucket. Started staining the luan, seems to be coming out pretty good. Pictures are too dark to see well but they are up.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

I like that color scheme- same thing I'm thinking about.

Well off to get more supplies- either flooring or exterior paint today which ever is cheaper...
Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoo
The PEX was a PITA. It kinked up really easy, doesnt bend well - only long gradual bends - fittings are tough to find in Florida and it is farily expensive considering all of the crap you need. The only good deal was Lowes had it on sale for $20 for a 50ft 1/2in roll. I had to go from 3/8 on my tank to 1/2 PEX and I probably ended up with 5 different pieces to make it adapt, this would not have been as tough with PVC. I also plan on taking the $60 crimping tool back to Home Depot after I make my 3 connections. I never had an issue with PVC but it seemed that everyone said to use PEX because it was easy. To each their own I guess.
Had a heck of a time getting one particular fitting to not leak on our PEX. Now I think I know what the problem is. Didn't know you were supposed to use a crimping tool. We did finally manage to tighten it enough to stop leaking, but it took a while.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Got a deal on a 60" maple base cabinet from the Depot. Said on the box that there was a plastic piece broke so the manager cut $30 off and $10 off the toe kick, $209 before tax and nothing was actually missing or broke! Figured I would waste a week and spend more on supplies to build the thing myself not to mention it would probably be all crooked and out of square. Put the second coat of stain in the bathroom, not quite as happy with it as I was yesterday so I went with a lighter polyshade for the rest of the walls. That made the staining alot easier to manage as it was more consistant in the color.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #29
Bus Nut

I used the sealer on both. I think some of the problem was that I was staining the darker color with no light in the bathroom, no electric where I work on it, so I was basically hoping that it was even. The lighter color is out in the open but it did seem easier to maintain consistency. If you (vanguy) didnt give me the info on it I would have carpeted or painted it since the only info I could find was in a woodworkers forum to use a million steps and materials that arent widely available to properly stain it. The old maple I think is going to turn out great. All in all Im happy with the darker color, I mean, its a bathroom in a school bus. Just that in itself will be enough to impress my friends.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #30
Bus Nut

The kitchen cabinet is in. The thing is cheap and basically a big box with doors and no back. We had to cut it to fit over the wheel well and that made it really flimsy. Made some bracing and it should be ok.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Sandblasted and primed today. Wow, it looks so much better now!! Didnt get much done other than watch them and back a truck up to paint but they cooked some ribs and chicken and provided mucho cerveza! More pictures up pn photobucket, check them out.

Sandblasting:

After Blasting:

Primer:

Old 07-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Sandblasting is good and bad. It stretched alot of the metal including the skins and left a mess inside, you can see the waves. But it did remove every last bit of loose paint and rust around the rivets which could not be done with just sanding. I guess it is a tradeoff. The sand inside is a mess, this isnt an understatement. I would bet that it will pour out from every nook and cranny for as long as I own the bus. They used a good epoxy primer so the paint should outlast the engine. You can see my priorities. If anyone is in florida and needs a bus, or equipment painted let me know, they are GREAT painters and cheap with 20 yrs experience.

All pictures here: http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/gatorbus/
Old 07-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #33
Bus Nut

The guy that owns the place is great, he could paint or blast anything perfect. Since it is a favor to me, he tells his guys, hey blast the bus saturday (hes not there). I have to tell them what I want. Please dont blast the windows, please cover the A/C, dont hit the fiber glass, dont hit the Nidacore etc, theyre basically woorkerbees. To get them to blast with sand is enough to ask. To have them not sanblast the windows is an extra ( A Maaco paint job times 100). They dont speak good english and I dont speak good spanish so between the two is what I get. Paying customers get exactly what they want the first time but Im not paying. They'll do a good job, Ive seen them polish a turd more than once. The guys are used to painting and blasting heavy equipment with thick steel so my bus throws them a little. They amaze me with their abilities to fix body work on large machines so I think theyll end up with a great finished product.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Smitty you are 100% correct. The guys there arent used to working with thinner panels. I've seen them paint cars for their friends and it is an abortion but bring them an excavator with $20k in damage and it will come out brand new for 1/4 the price. I still can't grasp that but, it is what it is. I saw him paint a school bus one time for an orange grove (finished product only) and it was WOW, looked like a brand new bus.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #35
Bus Nut

They took off all of the mirrors, bondo'd the old stop lights and rivet holes today. They will seal all of the rails on the roof tomorrow and I have some screws to drill out and replace where we cut the rear out. The little details take FOREVER!!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Started building the benches today! Integrated a forward facing seat for a front passanger too instead of trying to find a pair of air seats that would fit. Hopefully a lapbelt will be ok for the front, there really isnt a good spot to anchor a shoulder belt in. Would rather be sure the lapbelt will hold rather than worry about a 3 point tearing out of the wall and being useless in a crash. Some more pictures up here: http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/gatorbus/

Benches

Front Seat

Cupholder Ledge
Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Finished the bench framing tonight and measured for the plywood. Have to go to the Depot tomorrow after work to get the plywood, more luan and have them make the long cuts on their panel saw. Onto the electrical hookups after the benches, test the wiring and cover up the rest of the walls. Getting close!

Old 08-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Got the pine trim all cut, started staining it but think I need to add a little of the bombay mahogany to the old maple stain to match the redish hue in the luan. Wired some of the electrical outlets, hooked up the vanity sink, cut the final 2 holes in the floor for the electrical and kitchen sink drain. There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel!
Pics up: http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/gatorbus/

Cable and power for TV outside

Bench and power dist panel

Copilots chair

Benches and aisle
Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Got the AC side of the panel all wired up, now can run the bus off the generator instead of dragging cords all over. Some more wall panels are up, benches about 80% done and will finish them this weekend. Installed a hard start capacitor in the A/C, my cheapy Honeywell 2000i still wont start it under normal conditions, had to manually throttle it up to start the compressor and after a few seconds it is fine with the air running.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 54

That back porch is cool as hell

Take Care,
Den