Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Gator Tailgating Bus Build

I thought about the fold out bed but decided against it. I have a bunk type area that you can lay a board across in the back and really didnt anticipate sleeping on the bus.

kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Temp hooked up the converter to get some lighting inside. Finished up most of all of the little filler panels and put them in. They painted the roof but the color is a little yellow, think it may have to be reshot with something darker.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Got some paint on it, should be all orange tomorrow! Have a sept 5 deadline to finish, dont know if that is going to happen.
All the wiring is complete, all amps hooked up, stereo, battery switch, fuse/breaker panel etc. Put up the new clearance lights and took a stab at the taillight wiring today using a trailer 3-2 wire converter but couldnt get the brake/turn/park lights to work. Any ideas?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

how about a pic of the lights and where you are going to mount them?

camo-monster

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Im using slim LCD tails which are here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-LED-15 ... ccessories

With this converter to go from seperate turn/stop lights to combined which is here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trailer- ... ccessories

I wired the all of the grounds together (wires to light and noth whites out of converter) into a screw on the bus. I only had one light hooked up, kind of misplaced the other so I used an old one off of the bus on one side just in case the circuit needed completion. It didnt work though, all other lights on the bus work.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Tied up some more odds and ends today. Installed the countertop and sink over the kitchen area. Fastened the rest of the wiring under the benches going to the amps. Pulled the gauge bezel off to get it painted... alot of small take alot of time things to do! Have to tweak that cheapo cabinet, the false drawer fronts come pre-drilled and look how crooked they are, there is no adjusting them without re-drilling. Alot more pics up here: http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/gatorbus/

Electrical Picture

Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Easy now, the Gators take time and quality. Wouldnt want to rush the paint. I speak a little spanish but learned one thing, manana (n tilda?) does not mean tomorrow to mexican painters, it means not today. Here it is, the rest is done tomorrow, english tomorrow. In all actuality, they have been very busy with paying customers and for some strange reason, they come first before the Gator bus.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

That's a nice looking orange. What other colors and graphics do you plan to add?

Or is that a football question that should be obvious? I'm pretty rusty with my footballeeze beyond "Cowboys, Redskins, Steelers, Vikings & Patriots... but that's just because once long (long) ago my little brother had curtains with all of those logos on 'em.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #49
Bus Nut

More painting today. Got most of the flooring done, used Allure resilient for garage floors from Home Depot. They screwed up and didnt order it until we went back into check where it was. It put everything behind schedule but should have alot done tomorrow.

2 windows in, the rest tomorrow
Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 PM   #50
Bus Nut

The injun and tomohawk logo will be placed on the inside of the toilet right next to the bulldog decal just as soon as the plumbing is finished up. Studies show that there is less spillage when guys have a spot to aim when they go.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:29 PM   #51
Bus Nut

The frames were all disassembled and anodized black then touched up with paint to cover any rack marks.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Had to get it weighed yesterday in order to change the title to an RV before the prices doubled so we took the maiden voyage with no brake lights, no turn signals, no windshield wipers, tape all over the tires and no mirrors. Would have been a field day for the DOT. Seemed to run fine but after taking the dash apart and putting it back together I have an air leak at the pressure gauge that needs some fixing. Pulled it out tonight and got some pictures.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Holy SH*T that is looking great!

Haven't been to a Gator Game for many-many years but wow you are gonna draw some serious attention with you sweeet bus! Great work, love the layout & who doesn't think the deck is just too cool...
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

yes nice job on the rear deck and i like the orange lots of hours spent there i can see that for sure.Looks like a giant pumpkin or a big bottle of orange crush! looks like FUN!timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Were kicking around some away games. Want to see how the first trip to Gainesville goes, think itll be about 5 hours in this slow thing. Maybe you can get us a spot and tailgate together if we make it to SC? Its great to see the Gators whoopin on Spurrier, almost better than drinkin beer!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #56
Bus Nut

Went to the game saturday minus the bus. Got a little work done today cupholders in, drivers seatbelt, bathroom door latch etc. Put some chrome lug nut covers on the other day, and they make a pretty big difference. Tried to spray the bedliner on the back but the gun kept clogging so we brushed on the first coat on the rear and the step well. Have a wedding to go to next weekend so no tailgating but have full intetions of being at the TN game.

Blue Bedliner
Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Glenn, from the paint place, figured out my rear lighting problem. I hastily unplugged something trying to rid the clutter in the mess of wires in the control area. I used a trailer wire converter and went from seperate brake / turn to a single stop/tail/turn light and by some great miracle they work! Got the lcd backup lights on and working as well as the license plate light. We will be ready for this weekends game UF vs TN. Dropping the bus off at the machine shop tomorrow before work to get the diamond plate done and tomorrow night will take it to get the graphics done. Converter is dead so I have to get a new one, luckily the guy I bought it from on ebay will warranty it. Been bringing my harbor freight trickle charger but it broke too - will be the last POS I ever buy from HF, it is all crap. Word of advice, the $20 you save at Harbor Freight will cost you in the short run before your job is even done, trust me dont do it, 4th time Ive been burned by their junk on this project in 6 months. Anyways, the last thing remaining is the waste tank to mount and we are off on our 300 mile voyage!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

You bus looks more and more awesome every day! Can't wait to see what the graphics look like.
Great job!
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #59
Bus Nut

Thanks for the compliments. You know vanguy, this is the big weekend. The only Ts on this bus will be stuck in the grill on my drive home!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Smitty - My original plan was to do that just without the bars. In hindsight, it was really east to cut the rear section away so if you are set on having a similar porch, remove the windows and cut the pillars out but leave the bottom. If you dont like it, it is easy enough to remove the rest but would be very hard to put it back in place. The nice thing about that is you have a porch and a quasi pickup truck bed to keep items in while you travel. If you did it this way you wouldnt have to fool with the tail and brake lights either and would also have the half emergency door as a tailgate.
BTW, I assume you bought the Carpenter bus, looks like a great platform to work with. Just dont set a deadline to finish it by, you will be frustrated the day you pass it and the bus isnt complete. Take your time and enjoy the build, it is very rewarding.

Here is my original concept with (I think) your porch idea. Really wanted this Freightliner. Had the crappy 3126 with blowby and thought we would pick it up cheap but it went for $4500 at auction with 200k and a ton of smoke out of the slobber tube.