Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Gator Tailgating Bus Build

Sandblasted and primed today. Wow, it looks so much better now!! Didnt get much done other than watch them and back a truck up to paint but they cooked some ribs and chicken and provided mucho cerveza! More pictures up pn photobucket, check them out.

Sandblasting:

After Blasting:

Primer:

kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Sandblasting is good and bad. It stretched alot of the metal including the skins and left a mess inside, you can see the waves. But it did remove every last bit of loose paint and rust around the rivets which could not be done with just sanding. I guess it is a tradeoff. The sand inside is a mess, this isnt an understatement. I would bet that it will pour out from every nook and cranny for as long as I own the bus. They used a good epoxy primer so the paint should outlast the engine. You can see my priorities. If anyone is in florida and needs a bus, or equipment painted let me know, they are GREAT painters and cheap with 20 yrs experience.

All pictures here: http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/gatorbus/
Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #33
Bus Nut

The guy that owns the place is great, he could paint or blast anything perfect. Since it is a favor to me, he tells his guys, hey blast the bus saturday (hes not there). I have to tell them what I want. Please dont blast the windows, please cover the A/C, dont hit the fiber glass, dont hit the Nidacore etc, theyre basically woorkerbees. To get them to blast with sand is enough to ask. To have them not sanblast the windows is an extra ( A Maaco paint job times 100). They dont speak good english and I dont speak good spanish so between the two is what I get. Paying customers get exactly what they want the first time but Im not paying. They'll do a good job, Ive seen them polish a turd more than once. The guys are used to painting and blasting heavy equipment with thick steel so my bus throws them a little. They amaze me with their abilities to fix body work on large machines so I think theyll end up with a great finished product.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Smitty you are 100% correct. The guys there arent used to working with thinner panels. I've seen them paint cars for their friends and it is an abortion but bring them an excavator with $20k in damage and it will come out brand new for 1/4 the price. I still can't grasp that but, it is what it is. I saw him paint a school bus one time for an orange grove (finished product only) and it was WOW, looked like a brand new bus.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #35
Bus Nut

They took off all of the mirrors, bondo'd the old stop lights and rivet holes today. They will seal all of the rails on the roof tomorrow and I have some screws to drill out and replace where we cut the rear out. The little details take FOREVER!!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Started building the benches today! Integrated a forward facing seat for a front passanger too instead of trying to find a pair of air seats that would fit. Hopefully a lapbelt will be ok for the front, there really isnt a good spot to anchor a shoulder belt in. Would rather be sure the lapbelt will hold rather than worry about a 3 point tearing out of the wall and being useless in a crash. Some more pictures up here: http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/gatorbus/

Benches

Front Seat

Cupholder Ledge
Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Finished the bench framing tonight and measured for the plywood. Have to go to the Depot tomorrow after work to get the plywood, more luan and have them make the long cuts on their panel saw. Onto the electrical hookups after the benches, test the wiring and cover up the rest of the walls. Getting close!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Got the pine trim all cut, started staining it but think I need to add a little of the bombay mahogany to the old maple stain to match the redish hue in the luan. Wired some of the electrical outlets, hooked up the vanity sink, cut the final 2 holes in the floor for the electrical and kitchen sink drain. There is finally a light at the end of the tunnel!
Pics up: http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt348/gatorbus/

Cable and power for TV outside

Bench and power dist panel

Copilots chair

Benches and aisle
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Got the AC side of the panel all wired up, now can run the bus off the generator instead of dragging cords all over. Some more wall panels are up, benches about 80% done and will finish them this weekend. Installed a hard start capacitor in the A/C, my cheapy Honeywell 2000i still wont start it under normal conditions, had to manually throttle it up to start the compressor and after a few seconds it is fine with the air running.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #40
Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 54

That back porch is cool as hell

Take Care,
Den