Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TCFE2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummings 12v
Generator and Tank Question

I have an Onan 5.5kw generator that i just got for a steal and need to install a gas tank for it.

This is the one I was thinking about. Question is: will a fuel cell work with an Onan generator?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg  

trinitysj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitysj View Post
I have an Onan 5.5kw generator that i just got for a steal and need to install a gas tank for it.

This is the one I was thinking about. Question is: will a fuel cell work with an Onan generator?

Thanks in advance.
It really depends on the generator, or I should say fuel system. If it has a tank, I am sure it can me modified to be a gravity flow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Does the generator have a fuel tank mounted on the top?

If so it may rely on gravity feed and you would need to mount the fuel cell above the genny and plumb gravity feed or add a LOW PRESSURE fuel pump.

If the genny is a typical Onan RV unit then it will have a fuel pump already and can be plumbed into the fuel cell just like you would plumb it into your coach tank in a "normal" install.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

So it is an Onan Cummins Power Generator 5.5Kw 5.5HGJAB-1038c 120V RV 45.8 AMPS generator and does not have its own fuel tank.

It needs one added to the system. It does have its own fuel pump.

Just wanted to know if I need a regular tank or if a fuel cell type tank would work as well.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600 (1).jpg  
Old 06-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
I don't see why a fuel cell wouldn't work. I have a onan CCK 5.0. I have ran a boat tank the last couple years. The primer bulb is handy to get it started quicker. But don't have to use it, because I can start it from inside the bus too. I have thought about adding a more permanent tank over by the buses main tank. Would make filling up easier.
20150614_151848 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

thanks. that is what i was wondering the most.. would the foam inside a fuel cell tank cause any issues with how the fuel pump pulls the fuel from the tank. didnt want to burn out the fuel pump on the 5.5kw.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvbuzz View Post
I don't see why a fuel cell wouldn't work. I have a onan CCK 5.0. I have ran a boat tank the last couple years. The primer bulb is handy to get it started quicker. But don't have to use it, because I can start it from inside the bus too. I have thought about adding a more permanent tank over by the buses main tank. Would make filling up easier.
20150614_151848 by Hvbuzz, on Flickr
I also see that your batteries are in the same location as the generator. is that right?

I was thinking of doing the same, since i have the storage under the bus at the back.

I have the same two cargo spots, front and back on both sides of the bus.

Should the generator go in the middle parts or is it ok at the back?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0306.jpg  
Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
thanks. that is what i was wondering the most.. would the foam inside a fuel cell tank cause any issues with how the fuel pump pulls the fuel from the tank. didnt want to burn out the fuel pump on the 5.5kw.
I don't think the foam will bother your pump. They really don't use alot of fuel flow to keep them running. From my four wheeling days, I wouldn't want the foam. I have seen over time the foam break down and caused fuel flow and plugged filters in a buddy of mines wheeling rig.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
I also see that your batteries are in the same location as the generator. is that right?

I was thinking of doing the same, since i have the storage under the bus at the back.

I have the same two cargo spots, front and back on both sides of the bus.

Should the generator go in the middle parts or is it ok at the back?

I'm no expert, but it was mostly about finding room. The batteries seemed idea there. I use them to start the genny as well as a battery bank. My AC inverter is wired directly above the bank in the bus. Which I had read you want your DC feed to your inverter as short as possible. Mine are probably shorter then 2 feet. I really don't like the placement of the gas tank. But it works, but it was never meant to be permanent.

I wish I had more weight on the back of my bus. I think it would help smooth out the ride some.