Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
literal LOL!

Two steps forward today. This came in the mail:

And I can once again burn some dead dinosaurs. Was able to re-use some of the old heater hose to trim out the fuel fill I previously sided over:

Shef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Shef,
What was the cost of the land? Always trying to feel out what land is going for in different areas of the country. Good twist on the tiny house idea. It should definitely hold up better while driving cross country than many of these trailer build homes they show that are at the limit of the trailers capacity. Have read of several horror stories from people towing them cross country and breaking axles, welds and other things multiple times during the journey.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:48 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Nice. I'm coming to visit!!!
doctressjulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

However you decide to create ventilation between the two roofs make sure you make it so bugs, birds, and other critters can't get in there.

The last thing you want is a paper wasp nest or a bee colony taking up residence in your roof.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Shef,
What was the cost of the land? Always trying to feel out what land is going for in different areas of the country. Good twist on the tiny house idea. It should definitely hold up better while driving cross country than many of these trailer build homes they show that are at the limit of the trailers capacity. Have read of several horror stories from people towing them cross country and breaking axles, welds and other things multiple times during the journey.
Good point, the bus should be well below the GVWR after completion vs. teetering on the edge of a trailers weight limit.
I got two lots, they were asking $12.5k each but after some negotiation I bought with cash for $14,180 out the door (inc taxes for the next year). My few neighbors said I got a great deal. Most lots in the "subdivision" are 1-2 acres and go for around $7-10K/ acre but are more level than mine. I only had an area about the size of a city lot that where I wanted to place the bus and it wasn't level. I hired a neighbor to make it about double that size and level it out (my guestimate is this might have doubled the value of the property)
Keep in mind there are no utilities here. Most have cisterns for water, solar for electricity, propane for heat and compost or have a holding tank for waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctressjulia View Post
Nice. I'm coming to visit!!!
Come on out! I'm going to make sure there's at least one spot for a visiting skoolie/camper friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
However you decide to create ventilation between the two roofs make sure you make it so bugs, birds, and other critters can't get in there.

The last thing you want is a paper wasp nest or a bee colony taking up residence in your roof.
Yes, good reminder. Only guests of the human or fur-kid kind are welcome!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Wow, awesome price for that much land! you can do some stepped gardens If the slope is too steep. get a well put in, use solar and wind turbine power and you're all set.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Good point, the bus should be well below the GVWR after completion vs. teetering on the edge of a trailers weight limit.
I got two lots, they were asking $12.5k each but after some negotiation I bought with cash for $14,180 out the door (inc taxes for the next year). My few neighbors said I got a great deal. Most lots in the "subdivision" are 1-2 acres and go for around $7-10K/ acre but are more level than mine. I only had an area about the size of a city lot that where I wanted to place the bus and it wasn't level. I hired a neighbor to make it about double that size and level it out (my guestimate is this might have doubled the value of the property)
Keep in mind there are no utilities here. Most have cisterns for water, solar for electricity, propane for heat and compost or have a holding tank for waste.

Come on out! I'm going to make sure there's at least one spot for a visiting skoolie/camper friends

Yes, good reminder. Only guests of the human or fur-kid kind are welcome!
you dont want furry friends up there either... things will be rank very quickly... and if a human can fit most likely you have made it a loft and sealed from the outside already

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
As another guy in his mid 30's named Seth with two dogs, converting a bus, welcome and nice build. That's one hell of a bus you've got there. My old lady and I also plan on heading out to CO when its all said and done. Had a nice place up by Fairplay picked out but I've heard it's starting to get more touristy up there so plans are changing...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
We've got some funny guys on here, I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
As another guy in his mid 30's named Seth with two dogs, converting a bus, welcome and nice build. That's one hell of a bus you've got there. My old lady and I also plan on heading out to CO when its all said and done. Had a nice place up by Fairplay picked out but I've heard it's starting to get more touristy up there so plans are changing...
Haha, that's awesome! Maybe well meet someday, in CO perhaps. Have to check out your build thread.
I drive through Fairplay to get to my place and have a friend with land out there, haven't noticed it getting overly touristy... yet. It's definitely less so than Pagosa Springs, but I'm 15 mins out of town and my neighbors are the type who like to be left alone and keep to themselves, hoping it stays that way! The thing I've noticed in the Fairplay area is the wind, but good tree coverage solves that.

What area are you looking at now?