Old 09-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: Gilligus Maxibus

You guys are rockin' right along --- Keep up the good work and keep up the pix.

It is nothing short of remarkable to see youngsters actually working and grinning at the same time!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3160

Tango, that's nothin' but old-fashioned work ethic! Well, and maybe a little bribery..... "those who don't work don't get allowance at the tourist attractions" LOL

Just kidding... they actually think it is fun, at this point........

They're done for awhile, though. Dad is working on how to get insulation into the side walls. Our windows come almost all the way down in the walls. We re going to have to block them half way down so that we can insulate a portion of the walls. That is, unless I can talk him into turning them into awning windows!
GilligusMaxibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Are you saying that your windows are the type that drops down inside the walls? --- If so, they are like mine and you need to consider this...any construction work that goes over the interior skin will have to all be removed if you ever need to replace any glass. I just realized this myself about a week ago and had to completely change my window plans to accommodate this consideration. These old style windows not only leak water into the walls but require that the interior wall panel be removed to access the frame & glass. About the only option is to replace them with a different type or not permanently attach anything below any windows you keep.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Hmmm. we will look into that more fully. Our windows come out very easily by just removing the screws on the upper window frame and tilting the windows in. At least, that's what we've been told by other Gillig owners. We haven't actually done it ourselves, yet.

Yes. we have what is called wet-wall construction. Any water that gets by the rubber gasket/flange flows down the inside of the bus wall and exits through holes in the bottom of the frame. It makes for a very tricky insulation process. Hubby is creating an alternative flow system to divert the water above where we will be insulating. It is definitely slowing us down. We have to design it, create it, then test it, then duplicate for every window. I'll definitely take pics of the process. We should be doing that this weekend. Right now, we are smoothing out the plywood floor and sealing it.

Next steps: figure out the water diversion system; spray and roll rubber based sealer on any surface that will accept it; insulate walls

In the meantime: continue to work on floor plan #14 (or is it 15?...I've lost count); continue to plan under belly systems placement; dream that it's all over and we are parked someplace warm
Old 09-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilligusMaxibus
Hmmm. we will look into that more fully. Our windows come out very easily by just removing the screws on the upper window frame and tilting the windows in. At least, that's what we've been told by other Gillig owners. We haven't actually done it ourselves, yet.

Yes. we have what is called wet-wall construction. Any water that gets by the rubber gasket/flange flows down the inside of the bus wall and exits through holes in the bottom of the frame. It makes for a very tricky insulation process. Hubby is creating an alternative flow system to divert the water above where we will be insulating. It is definitely slowing us down. We have to design it, create it, then test it, then duplicate for every window. I'll definitely take pics of the process. We should be doing that this weekend. Right now, we are smoothing out the plywood floor and sealing it.

Next steps: figure out the water diversion system; spray and roll rubber based sealer on any surface that will accept it; insulate walls

In the meantime: continue to work on floor plan #14 (or is it 15?...I've lost count); continue to plan under belly systems placement; dream that it's all over and we are parked someplace warm
I figured it would be easier just to take them all out & sheetmetal then add windows just where I want them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.JPG (1.40 MB, 193 views)
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I've been following your thread. Nice lift!

We could do that. Hubby has the ability. He was a fabricator in the research and development department of a well known motor coach company. However, we decided we liked the look of the long line of tinted windows where you can't really tell if it is one you look out of, or not. And on the inside, I want to keep it as open and light as possible and those windows bring in a lot of light. Now we add another little wrinkle..... this silly old bus has character and feels alive ...not really, but you bus lovers know what I mean. We like the looks of the vintage school bus, and while we will definitely make it look as homey as possible inside, we want to also keep some of the old school bus character intact. Sooo, the plan to sheet the window holes and "RV it up", kinda went out the window when we met Max.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Sounds like you guys have "half-drop" windows where the top half of the glass slides down and the bottom half is fixed. Much easier to deal with than mine where the whole window drops down completely inside the wall panels. If the frames pop out without having to remove a wall section, they can be replaced with most standard RV or bus windows with no concern for glass replacement. As for the wacky water collection system...that is another matter. All but one of the panel braces below the windows that connect the inner & outer skin were completely rusted away and had to be re-fabbed. I used galvanized then treated the inner surface with additional rust preventative. Plus...my new windows will totally seal off the inner panels from the weather.

Here's hoping your don't get as tricky...you have a lot more windows. As allwthrrider noted...closing them in with sheet metal and fitting new ones might be easier.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 7.8 Ford/New Holland

You have a beautiful bus there and I don't blame you for wanting to keep as much of the original character as possible! Looks like you have an awesome team of helpers too.
Leftyclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

We DO have an awesome team of helpers! I think the bus is beautiful, too. and whenever I go out to the bus, I first of all run my hand down it's side (I think my dog is getting jealous!).

Here is our first peek behind the stainless steel panels....

Couldn't find any way to get the stainless panels off as they were wedged behind the seat rail and the seat rail was then wacked (technical term) with a mallet or something to hold the bottom of the panels in. After days of trying to figure out how to get them out, looking for a way to release the rail, pulling and tugging on the panels, and trying to bend the rail out with a crow bar, we just cut them out. As you can see, we definitely have full windows that open fully into the side of the bus.

Apparently these things require much thought!
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilligusMaxibus
Yeah, I've been following your thread. Nice lift!

We could do that. Hubby has the ability. He was a fabricator in the research and development department of a well known motor coach company. However, we decided we liked the look of the long line of tinted windows where you can't really tell if it is one you look out of, or not. And on the inside, I want to keep it as open and light as possible and those windows bring in a lot of light. Now we add another little wrinkle..... this silly old bus has character and feels alive ...not really, but you bus lovers know what I mean. We like the looks of the vintage school bus, and while we will definitely make it look as homey as possible inside, we want to also keep some of the old school bus character intact. Sooo, the plan to sheet the window holes and "RV it up", kinda went out the window when we met Max.
I ADORE good puns!!!!!!! It's lonely without playmates........