Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 01:27 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3160
Re: Gilligus Maxibus

Thanks! I think we have concluded that we need to replace the windows.

I saw the post of the vintage bus and truck that used shed windows and we have been looking into that.

Does anyone see any reason that shed windows like the ones at the following links, could not be installed on a bus? They have aluminum frames (not sure if they are painted, anodized, or powder coated)

http://www.shed-windows.com/Shed-Window ... gular.html

http://shed-parts.com/all-shed-parts/sh ... n-windows/

GilligusMaxibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Gill,

As a rule of thumb, shed windows do not have any insulation value. If insulation is a high priority, and finances are tight, look to your surplus home supply dealer, such as Habitat for Humanity, to get better windows. Almost all of the storage windows I have seen are no more than thin glass surrounded by thin aluminum brackets - not the safest thing for an RV, especially going down the interstate. When I get my daily driver I'm planning on getting tinted RV windows that will offer decent insulation value and hold up with wind whipping around them doing 65 or so on the interstate. I'm not rich, so I'll have to wait for the $$$ before buying them. Trust me, it's worth the wait... Just my 2 cents.........
Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #43
r_w
Skoolie

Shed windows are usually not tempered. Otherwise, they are about the same as a "normal" bus windows--rattle, loud, leaky, etc.

Those windows in particular look like storm windows you can buy for a house--they make sense for a shed but not for a bus. Their frames are so weak you will lose a window the first big bump or flex.

Look elsewhere.

You can find decent RV windows for a good price on ebay or the RV surplus places if you are a little flexible on size.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

where are u at,i have a few rv window I will give to any one,,they where taken out of an rv and are it good shape but drity,,,so I live in north GA and they are freeeeeeeeeeeee... think there about 6 or 7 window all size's,,,,,,,,, just pm me for a phone n#
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, Keith, but we are in Oregon. Let me check into RV surplus businesses and eBay. I haven't looked into either of those. We did find a company in Vancouver, WA that will make custom sliding windows the same size as our openings, but they want $359.00 per window! We need 13 of them, so that is not really an option, at this point. We hoped to be on the road by December 1st, but with changing out the windows, it's looking more like Spring. So, waiting for an extra $4,500.00 to show up is not an option.

I'm pretty sure we can find some salvage ones from an old RV in the area. We were just trying to stay within the the shape of the current openings without having to modify much. We would rather spend more of our fabricating and modifying time under the bus!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Gill and r-w, a point of clarification is in order here. I used "shed" windows available at Home Depot by special order. They have 1/8" thick dual pane tempered glass, desiccant filed spacers, "e" glass coating to reflect UV, full weather seals and window screens. They are made of aluminum with a white powder coating and meet the same standards as regular residential windows except that because they are sold as shed windows they aren't required to be certified--which means they are very cost effective. The ones that HD sells are made by Jeld Wen and are designated as S-110 Shed Windows. They may be purchased in either fined or non fined as well as for over (or under) 6,000 ft elevation (has to do with blow out problems all dual glaze windows have) or they can be ordered with the space between the panes vented if they will be subject to rapid variation in elevation. The venting will eventually cause moisture to collect between the panes. To repeat a point, most residential dual pane windows are made with thinner 3/32" panes but the shed windows can be ordered with 1/8" thick glass. As to the elevation changes, using the 1/8" glass greatly increases the strength of the window especially in our relatively small school bus windows. I live at sea level so I chose the below 6,000' variety but have now had the bus up to the 9,000' mark with no issues. The complete HD shed windows I bought were $87.50 each. The aluminum frame will, of course, transmit hot and cold but that problem can easily be mitigated with judicious use of insulation just as it can be with any traditional r/v window. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:39 AM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Jack,

Thank you so much for the clarification! Did you have to cut out larger holes to put the windows in, or did they fit into the original openings? Either way, that looks like the way we will go. You can't beat $87.50 per window!

Becky (AKA, Max's Mom!)
Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #48
Bus Geek

GM, When you order these windows, you provide the measurements and they build to your measurements. I measured the existing openings in my bus and then deducted 1/8"in height and width to allow a little wiggle room. I used the windows without the fins (block wall style) and fastened them in with a couple of stainless sheet metal screws followed by a bead of Silkaflex 220+ windshield glue to further secure and waterproof them. Hope this helps. Jack
Old 10-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, Jack. We checked with the manager of the window department, today and were told that the S 110 series are no longer available to order. Not sure what to think. How long ago did you order yours? We're checking with another contact at another store tomorrow.

Has anyone ever used vinyl windows on their skoolie?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #50
Bus Geek

GM, I'll check with the HD I used earlier this year. I don't think the plastic jobies would be very good.. In particular, they would be hard to seal to the bus body. Lots of sealers seem to stick to plastic at first but shortly loose their bond. While the words "never" and "always" seem to get me into trouble, I always do a test of materials such as sealers and glue and sticky tape on the surfaces I plan to anoint and so far I haven't found a material that will bond to vinyl window plastic for more than a short period of time. Perhaps others have had better luck-----Jack
Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #51
Bus Geek

GM, I finally got to the bottom of the Home Depot S-110 shed window issue. It seems that Jeld-Win changed the shed window number to series 2000. If you try to special order them at HD you will probably be told that they come only in standard sizes. While I listened in today, my HD window guy called Jeld-Win and asked about special ordering 2000 series and was told that since the change in series numbering there was a glitch in special ordering but that it could still be done if the info was faxed to Jeld-Win by HD whereupon final pricing would be defined. I had the guy look up my order (from about 6 mo ago) and even then he had faxed my order and received final pricing in a confirming fax. If you are still looking for windows I would encourage you to keep after HD to get them. After a 900 mile run with my bus since the installation of my shed windows I am even happier with them than when we first communicated. Please feel free to PM me regarding the windows as I expect that they could be ordered "here" and delivered elsewhere. Let me know if I can help. Jack
Old 11-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #52
Almost There

Year: 1973
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79

Hey Gilligbus Maxifamily!

Just found your thread, love the photos & writeup so far, makes me excited to start my conversion. Fell in love with a 1973 Gillig, looks almost identical to yours. Won the auction 2 days ago, and picking it up on Tuesday. Not quite the distance to travel as you had (173 miles), hoping it goes smoothly.

I'll be checking in frequently!

Blessings,

Dug

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
www.oasisprojekt.org
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:27 AM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

That will be very ambitious to live full time with that many people! Do you have a floor plan worked out yet?
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Everyone!

Sorry we've been absent for so long. Life took some unexpected twists for us. In October my Father-in-law was killed in a car accident and he did not have a will. PLEASE, everyone get your will in order. It is a nightmare for your loved ones!

Next, my kids lost a biological grandmother. They had just lost their bio-mom in February, so we decided to settle down a bit and have a very traditional couple of months throughout the holiday season.

Now, we are getting back on track and ready to forge ahead.

During this inactive time, we solidified our floor plan and purchased a propane fireplace. We continued purging our home of unnecessary belongings and watched tons of travel videos to keep us motivated.

Here's our current plan of action:

1. Get cracked glass in door replaced.
2. Modify door into one piece with dead-bolt.
3. Apply sealant to floor.
4. Modify windows.
5. Insulate interior walls.
6. Finish off walls with wainscoting.
7. Build in bulkhead walls.
8. Frame in queen bed.
9. Design and build convertible couch/bunk beds.
10. Put in cabinets (temporarily)
11. Purchase and install captains chairs.
12. Install seat belts.
13. Add temporary cooking and bathroom facilities.
14. Register and insure RV.
15. Take trial run to Boondocking Rally at Lake Mead
16. Locate place to return to and finish quality build, including wiring, plumbing, systems, lighting, bathrooms, storage, shower, interior woodworking, exterior paint, off-grid capabilities, etc., etc.

Whew! We better get going!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Freedom Panda,

Thanks for stopping by. Congratulations on your bus purchase! Do you have a conversion thread going? We would love to follow along with your build!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:47 PM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

SweetFarm,

Yes, it is ambitious, but we are a pretty tight family and plan on having the world as our living room. The bus will be a place to gather to sleep and play games on rainy days. Besides, we will still have a home base to come back to when necessary.

My floor plan is currently scribbled on with tons of notes. let me work up a fresh copy and I'll try to get it posted, soon.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Jack (OlTrunt),

Thanks so much for your help and efforts. We will try again at HD with this current information and see what happens. We'll keep you posted.

Also, I can't seem to find the link I had to the site where you had pictures posted of your beautiful bus. I wanted to take another look at how you installed them. I believe they were pretty flush with the outer skin, weren't they? I'm hoping that any over-hang, can be done on the inside of the bus to maintain a smooth appearance on the exterior. Could you possibly post a link to your pics for me?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

I believe we have decided to use Henry's SolarFlex on our roof and we are thinking of also using it as a sealer for our interior floor, as well. Does anyone know any reason why we shouldn't do that? We will also be using a rubber type underlayment under our flooring.

We are also considering using the henry's Solarflex as an undercoating on the under carriage. Any reason not to?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #59
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Greetings.
Looks like you are enjoying the conversion process.
Keep posting pictures, it's fun to see how others do it.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #60
Bus Geek

GM, I'm not smart enough to give you a link so forgive me for posting my pics on your thread. Also, I think Nat used the same windows. Look on his "all seasons etc thread and you will see more pics--if he has paid photobucket that is.

Pic of dual pane shed window. It is flush with outside of bus.

Side view>

More.