Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
GM,I forgot to mention the name of the mfg of the windows--JenWeld. Home Depot sells them. Nat's thread is "Four seasons ---" not "all Seasons". Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3160
Thanks, Jack. Jeld Wen is an Oregon company...not far from us.

I'll go look at Nat's thread, now.
GilligusMaxibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

Hello Gilligus! My father and I have been involved in some some busses in Eugene and once sold a Gillig there also. We have done several Kenworths in Eugene and Spokane. My father was George Harris but has passed away a few years ago. There are a lot of people that knew him from the Eugene area.
Do you have any diesel regulations in Oregon like they are putting on in California with the particulate filters or completely changing out the engines in a certain year? It makes no sense for me to buy a bus and try to get it registered here in California. The cost and regulations would be tough to work around. My brother lives in Portland and I could probably register it there. Just looking for some info. I love the Gillig bus, have fun and here is a link to one of the two Kenworths I have done.
Good Luck,
Gameseven
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7040
gameseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

Rv's are exempt from all of the CARB loonacy...for now
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Sweetfarm! Would that apply to school busses also if I would buy a school bus and use my brothers address or would it needed to be built into a motorhome first?
THANKS AGAIN!
Gameseven
Old 02-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

That might be an issue if you need the conversion to get it titled as an rv. We watched a mobile dentist office (class a rv) get auctioned in California 2 weeks ago. It had a huge generator, a cummins diesel and 9,000 miles on it. It sold for less than 10 grand because the state required that it be sold to an out of state resident! I'm allowed to laugh since I don't have to live there
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Sweetfarm! Ive actually had friends in Arizona cant get their busses registered there because they are yellow. So they went to the hardware store and bought whitewash and covered the yellow. Registration completed! Too many dumb rules!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameseven View Post
Thanks Sweetfarm! Ive actually had friends in Arizona cant get their busses registered there because they are yellow. So they went to the hardware store and bought whitewash and covered the yellow. Registration completed! Too many dumb rules!!!
Needed to try another MV office. The registration was the easiest process I went through. Mine's still yellow.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks DOND! This was in the Phoenix area around 1980's. Things have changed I am sure. Is that your Bluebird shorty? That is one I want to do!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
My pics are working again.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, Nat. I'll check it out right away.

Did you use the same windows as Jack (OlTrunt) or another type from Home Depot?
Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameseven View Post
thanks dond! This was in the phoenix area around 1980's. Things have changed i am sure. Is that your bluebird shorty? That is one i want to do!!!
yes!............
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilligusMaxibus View Post
Thanks, Nat. I'll check it out right away.

Did you use the same windows as Jack (OlTrunt) or another type from Home Depot?
I used the JeldWen 3500 series. I'm not sure what series Jack used, but they look close.

I have more pics and details to come.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

Found a Gillig near Bakersfield selling decals out of the bus!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0197.JPG   IMG_0198.JPG  
Old 02-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
OUT of...or OFF of? Very groovy.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #76
Mini-Skoolie

Oh yeah..... maybe we'll go with that look. I always knew we could make money with Max!
Old 02-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I want the yellow Pontiac!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #78
Mini-Skoolie

How's the progress, Howell family? Any new updates?
WolfyWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #79
Mini-Skoolie

Well, it's been an interesting 6 months. We thought we were going to get the bus and gut it and get it insulated and run the wires and the plumbing, then put the wall coverings up, the flooring down, build the rooms and move in. But, no...not us... we bought the unique bus! You know, the one with different windows than anyone else. The one with a solid wood floor; and, the one with Wet-Wall construction. Yep, wet walls in between the outer skin and inner skin. The water that runs off the windows, runs down the inside of the walls and out the bottom of the frame....IF the drain holes in the frame haven't been plugged by thirty years of dirt.

So, how do you insulate that? The easiest thing would be to replace all the windows. But that is a spendy proposition, even using the special order ones from Home Depot. So, we were stumped... we contemplated selling the bus and getting different one. That didn't sit well. Our bus chose us and we love him. He has become family and you just don't give up on family! So, we spent the rainy months re-doing our floor plan....about 6 times! Do we want a bunk room in the back for the kids and Mom and Dad use the couch bed? Or does Mom and Dad want a private room in the back? Do we really need a couch or can the kids just sit on someone's bottom bunk? When we got right down to it, these are the things that helped us decide on our floor plan:
  • Dad wanted a private room
  • Our teenage daughters needed some sort of privacy from their elementary aged brothers (bunks staggered, instead of across from each other and definitely with curtains)
  • This is our home, not something we are taking out for weekend camping. I NEED it to feel like our home. Therefore, I do need a couch of some sort.
  • Dad wanted a private room (oh, did I already mention that????)
With these three/four main points in mind we finally settle on a floor plan. It is not ideal, but we feel it will be workable. I do not have the floor plan online, but I will attempt to scan it so I can post it at some point.

So, it had been a couple of months since we went out to the bus and when we did, we discovered lovely Oregon mildew. Now, we are a pretty natural kinda family so my solution for most challenges is to use good old organic apple cider vinegar. I know it kills mold, so that's what I did. I sprayed that mildew and left it to sit overnight. Went out the next day to wipe it all away and was greeted by a lovely shade of rust instead. Duh! Years ago I used to create "vintage" rusty finishes on steel patio furniture the hubby created by using vinegar. Um, yeah, totally forgot how the steel bus would react to my vinegar bath! So, instead of moving forward like we thought....we were back pedaling to get Max back into good condition. That little job is almost complete.

Since we've had some good weather for this early in March, the hubs has been out working on Max. Since we have that lovely solid wood floor and do not want to take away any of our interior height, we have chosen to insulate the floor from underneath the bus. The framing for the bus floor is 2" I-beams, so we put 2" foam insulation in that space and filled in the gaps with expanding foam. We still have to finish around the back of the bus, but that will be a bit more difficult to get it up above the transmission. Here is a picture of the insulation Under the bus:

Here is a picture of the amazing space we have to work with under the bus. The frame you see in the front of the picture is where the spare tire went. We will be using that area for our batteries and possibly our generator:

He has the supports for one of our storage boxes welded in under the bus. You can see it just forward of the rear wheels.

So, what have we decided to do about those windows, you ask? Well, we can't afford to replace them right now and we can't afford to wait around until we can. The hubs decided to add rain gutters inside the walls. yep, you read that correctly. We have rain gutters inside our bus walls and it is working! We added 2" rigid foam insulation behind the chair rail along the bottom of the wall, but our window needs to descend into the wall, so we put in the foil covered bubble wrap between the outer skin and the window and we created half-pipe gutters that collect the water run-off and divert it down a tube that extends trough the foam insulation, through our storage boxes under the bus and out the hole in the bottom frame. Can you say Jerry-rigged??? We are about one third of the way through this project and hope to complete it in the next few days. We will then add 1"foam insulation on the inside edge of the wall with furring strips to attach the paneling to. Not sure if that makes sense. It's difficult to explain, so I'll photo document it as we go.

Here is a picture of three windows in progress. the whole frames and windows have to come out in order to put the puzzle back together appropriately. Notice that the foam insulation is angled to assist in the flow of water to the drain tube.

Here is a close up of the gutter system:

Here is a picture of how the window descends into the wall with the insulation behind it:

Well, that's what is up with us. maybe not how others would do it, but it's what we are doing and can't wait to get beyond this challenge and start picking up steam. We are supposed to be out of our house at the end of April. Feeling a bit pinched for time.....
Old 03-27-2015, 12:36 AM   #80
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Alan N, I'm not sure how I missed your post back in February. Sorry about that. Is your Gillig converted? If so, how are your walls insulated? If not, how do you plan to insulate your walls? Will you keep the bus windows?

Do you have a conversion build thread we can look at?