Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 AM   #1

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: 636D-13
Engine: CAT 3208NA
Rated Cap: 78
Going with a Gillig

Greetings to all! i can't say how awesome it is that i found this site.....well, alittle back ground first i guess.....i'm coming back from my last deployment in Iraq pretty soon and after taking with my wife, we decided to convert a bus(something i've always wanted to try) and travel the northern states. So, about 3 months ago, i decided on a 1978 Gillig (78 pass.)pusher with a 3208NA connected to a 5 speed spicer...i got it off ebay and drove it back from oregon to southern cali on my R&R break..... it's a blast to drive! but not knowing to much about these buses.....well, i'm just starting the conversion and have alot of questions so any help will be appreciated!

my first problem was that i'm getting about 50mph @2600rpm(fuel mpg was 7)....i've considered going to a 7 speed spicer with the overdrive but that was looking to be about $3000....so digging alittle more, i'm pretty sure now that i have a timken 5.68 rearend...so if a changed the rearend, what should i go to? what kind of cost would i be looking at? any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
dc56_1.jpg   gillig bus1 (2).jpg   gillig bus1 (3).jpg  

syutk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Going with a Gillig

Thanks for your service.... What are you ...11B? If I were you.... I'd talk to your motor SGT.... 5.68 rear end, sort of a "standard" RE.... on you drive with it on R&R, did you have any problems going up hill?.... You remember to put your flashers on?.... I can't remember what RE my first bus had, but it was a 5 something, and I had a hard time getting it over the crest of every ant hill in my route of travel... OK, OK .... ant hill may have been exaggerated... mole hills would be more apt..... I think I could have walked along side on some of those up hill tugs.......

Ain't got any experience with those Spicers....

Stay safe.... Keep your eyes and ears open, your mouth shut and your nose clean....

All the best
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #3

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: 350
Re: Going with a Gillig

This is my first post but I think I may be able to help. I am putting a sp 4054d 5 speed that I pulled out of a 87 c60 in my 89 ward. I am having the big truck tranny shop in SA drop the low first gear and add a .07 to 1 overdrive in it. He also said he had put a divorced over/under drive unit in a bus for a guy recently but this is a much more expensive option.
chrisxj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote