Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AA Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison 545 A
Rated Cap: 78
first there needs to be a standard to base the smell off of. im thinking a fresh steamer in a burning bag on your porch will do perfect for that. ha

and of course i will be using the butt sniffer 7000

nothing but the finest for such a perplexing scientific poop study

GetTheFunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #42
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
man, that brought back memories. i can see grumpy ol bastard beating the bag with a broom..........................wait, you said my porch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! roflmao
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Ya good idea to get your own sniff test. A bucket, a liner, wood shavings or kitty litter all really cheap. Taking the word of someone who's nose maybe shot to heck might be disastrous. Haha, good luck.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L 12v Cummins @ 230HP Allison MD 3060
Rated Cap: 33,000 lb GVW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetTheFunky1 View Post
i still am clueless as to what parts i need to buy to get the rv components hooked up to shore power and run the general electrical in my bus. if not ill be on here searching through old posts till i find an idea starter

The wood ceiling looks awesome!

Here is a link to a great, thorough, write up that helped me understand how to install my system. the diagrams down near the bottom are invaluable.

RV Electrical Systems

And here is my 2 cents worth....
Marinco makes a water tight 30 amp receiver plug for a 30amp power cord that is quite inexpensive if you don't want water messing with your power.
You need an automatic transfer switch if you are planning on having a generator - to not cross phases with generator and shore power. You could try to use a manual switch system, but who wants risk messing up generator or damaging other components by not remembering to "flip the switch."
You also HAVE TO include circuit breakers for any AC circuits. You need a main circuit breaker for the incoming power and then a separate breaker for each circuit. I used a progressive dynamics AC/DC fuse panel and converter/charger (I just use the converter portion for DC powered items as my xantrex w3000 charges battery bank) just for the AC and DC circuit breaker and fuse board.
There are a lot of combinations you can get when it comes to inverters, chargers, and converters depending on cost/convenience.
I went with an Inverter/charger as I wanted a unit that would be smart enough to set charging parameters and use the helpful features like Automatic generator start and generator support (uses inverter and battery back to "support" generator on heavy loads like when the rooftop A/C starts and pulls 50 amps momentarily) all of these automatic features makes the bus very user friendly and safer in my opinion. I don't have to worry about adjusting things all the time either.
WinslowtheBluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #45
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Honey Badger RV Co
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 74
Well in the name of science(not laziness),I left a half full bucket in the bus when I parked it in October. Was out in the bus today, checking to see how she weathered the winter. Opened the toilet lid and zero smell. BTW we use cedar chips mixed with potting soil.
wauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowtheBluebird View Post
The wood ceiling looks awesome!

Here is a link to a great, thorough, write up that helped me understand how to install my system. the diagrams down near the bottom are invaluable.

RV Electrical Systems

And here is my 2 cents worth....
Marinco makes a water tight 30 amp receiver plug for a 30amp power cord that is quite inexpensive if you don't want water messing with your power.
You need an automatic transfer switch if you are planning on having a generator - to not cross phases with generator and shore power. You could try to use a manual switch system, but who wants risk messing up generator or damaging other components by not remembering to "flip the switch."
You also HAVE TO include circuit breakers for any AC circuits. You need a main circuit breaker for the incoming power and then a separate breaker for each circuit. I used a progressive dynamics AC/DC fuse panel and converter/charger (I just use the converter portion for DC powered items as my xantrex w3000 charges battery bank) just for the AC and DC circuit breaker and fuse board.
There are a lot of combinations you can get when it comes to inverters, chargers, and converters depending on cost/convenience.
I went with an Inverter/charger as I wanted a unit that would be smart enough to set charging parameters and use the helpful features like Automatic generator start and generator support (uses inverter and battery back to "support" generator on heavy loads like when the rooftop A/C starts and pulls 50 amps momentarily) all of these automatic features makes the bus very user friendly and safer in my opinion. I don't have to worry about adjusting things all the time either.

What model do you have?

Sounds like the same features as the one going in my bus.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote