Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
The 8.3 CTA - mechanical injection and allison md3060 is a great combination.

The newer cummis 8.3 with electronic injection often is set for more power but I've also been a fan of direct mechanical diesels. (Funny enough I love fuel injection gasoline engines and hate carburetors)

Ours is currently rated for 275 HP, and I plan on adding a pacbrake exhaust brake for a little more control on grades.

Some md3060 busses also have the retarder option which is really great on big grades.

A quirk of the Allison is they are basically impossible to reprogram without help from Allison, and they won't help ya. The school district that owned our bus went to the effort to change the ring and pinion out, so we have a very long legged bus. Its crazy it was easier/cheaper to do a r&p swap than to just reprogram the trans computer.

I can go about 70 mph @1800 rpm.
Nice combo. I spoke with a few "big diesel" mechanics that said I would need stronger valve springs before a pacbrake install. I decided to forgo it at this point. Plus I would have to add a converter lockup switch. Probably not a huge issue in the grand scheme but it was money well spent in other areas.
I also inquired about turning it up. They said 250hp without an issue as it is evidently spec'd as such in some models. Again I opted to keep her stock. We get 63mph at 2200. More hp was only going to get me to 63mph faster... no need for that. Maybe get a few more mph on the grades but again... at 35mph the difference between 35mph and maybe 39mph is not that big of a deal. It is still slow no matter how you slice it. I just put her in the right hand lane and kick back and enjoy the view.
This bus came from the OR mountain country with 6.88 gears. She can pull a house but runs out of legs on the big end.
I've heard the r&p swap is much cheaper then the other options. I suppose 22.5 or maybe 24's are in our future. Get a few more mph out of her.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #252
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
That door really looks great!
Thanks.

It was by far the best piece of kit on the entire bus.

Well that and maybe skinning the overhead warning lights... but that was easy and cheap in comparison.

syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #253
Almost There

Quote:

The newer cummis 8.3 with electronic injection often is set for more power but I've also been a fan of direct mechanical diesels. (Funny enough I love fuel injection gasoline engines and hate carburetors)

Ours is currently rated for 275 HP, and I plan on adding a pacbrake exhaust brake for a little more control on grades.

Some md3060 busses also have the retarder option which is really great on big grades.

A quirk of the Allison is they are basically impossible to reprogram without help from Allison, and they won't help ya. The school district that owned our bus went to the effort to change the ring and pinion out, so we have a very long legged bus. Its crazy it was easier/cheaper to do a r&p swap than to just reprogram the trans computer.

I also like the simplicity of the mechanical injection. I am a diesel generator tech and work on all kinds of diesel engines (John Deere, Detroit, Cat, Cummins, Volvo, ect). I am a Cummins fan so a 8.3 is my first choice. I can't believe nobody has hacked the 6th gear lockout. Must not be a big want for most. So you can't even pay a shop to unlock it?
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:24 AM   #254
Almost There

Quote:

What's the gearing on your bus?
CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #255
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Aaron has 6th gear unlocked.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #256
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
That door really looks great!
It's sure got me searching eBay for parts... I've got a buddy with a shop that can make this happen!
Plus, my boss can get 4x8 aluminum sheets for $40 each.
And I substitute teach at a technology school with full access to HVAC' classroom with brake, press, bender, spot welder.... That door is definitely on my to do list!
And the Welding Shop has everything I need to build frame.

Somebody needs to grab this up for $30 plus shipping
RV New 18 x 35 Vertical Replacement Double Slider Window 883 7 | eBay

That seller carries a lot of new pull outs.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #257
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The 8.3 can easily be turned up to 250 with no impact on reliability. I have even heard of a few that wound up getting better MPG after being dialed in. Go figure.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #258
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
finding a decent allison shop will unlock it for you... and not charge an arm and a leg... when I was looking at a 2009 I-Bus recently.. its owner said getting 6th was a breeze if you go to an independent transmission shop tat is certified allison as they can get the codes to do it fairly easily.... a full out allison dealer may charge you more..
-Christoper
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #259
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger what Cadillac said. Used to be fairly difficult but lots of folks are getting 6th unlocked these days. Biggest issues with unlocking it on school buses turned out to be the tire and/or driveshaft ratings. Skoolies were never meant to go fast so they use lower V rated tires. And some of the multi-piece drive shafts also have a "critical speed rating" that limits the RPM they can turn without coming through the floor. Overcome those obstacles and even the original manufacturer will sign off on unlocking it to run faster for non-school use. Call around. Lots of "Indies" doing these days.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #260
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I'm not so sure - shift pad onl y indicates up to 5, and the trans wants to shift to the next gear and lug the engine everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Aaron has 6th gear unlocked.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote