This weekend, I took the Dremmel to the bottom side rails of the bus to remove most of the rust spots and get it ready for priming/protecting. I also took the belt sander to about 1/3 of the floor to start priming that as well. Man that's dirty work. I looked like a chimney sweep afterwards. I borrowed my dad's vibrating sander (I'm not sure the technical name, I'm new to this whole power tool thing) and hope that will work a lot better. We're hoping to really get cracking on the floor this week.
Tonight we're hitting the 'net trying to figure out which rust converter works best and is the least toxic. We looked at the Material Data Safety Sheet (a thing I didn't know existed until tonight) for many of the rust converters including, RustOleum, XO-Rust, Rust-Converter etc... and found that many of them are comprised of really nasty chemicals- no big surprise there. I really want to be able to find something that is safe. Many of the chemicals included in these products are known neuro-toxins, and as my mom died a few years ago of a neurological disease I really try to protect my brain (and the brains of my family members) whenever possible.
It may be that we end up using one of these products (as I don't think that using "salt and lime juice" method of rust removal on the entire bus floor is really an option), but I really want to do the research and figure out which is best not only for Gustav, but for us as well. I will keep you updated!