Hi All! As I said on an earlier post here, you can keep up with our general blog at http://www.freakishlyhappy.net
and watch us during our conversion on our semi-live bus cam at http://www.freakishlyhappy.net/buscam
Below is recap of the blog, but trimmed down so it deals only with bus conversion fun!
This week has been a good one as we started demolition on our school bus this week!
Our bus is a 1996 Carpenter Crown, that we bought in October from Greg Archambault who works from the website
I would highly recommend him, as he is very knowledgeable about buses, and sells them at fair prices.
It has been challenging (yet rewarding) so far. We started taking seats out last Sunday afternoon. Now from
what I've read most people just buy an angle grinder and shave off all of the bolts, and get the job done in a few hours. Never being ones to take the easy way out, we didn't do it that way. We sat in the aisle at Sears for a while discussing it, and couldn't think of another
use for an angle grinder- and since we're trying to buy things only for the longterm, we decided the we could do without. Instead I hopped under the bus with a wrench and held the nuts while John ratcheted the bolts out from above. Now this sounds much neater and tidier than it really was. First of all, most (if not all) of the bolts and nuts were in various states of rust and decomposition. Which was lucky in away, because i caught up on a lot of the iron that I've been lacking as I ingested a whole lot of rust.
Second, we're in Vermont and it is winter. Now when it was below freezing it wasn't so bad, because you can put
blankets and cardboard down and with enough layers, sitting on ice isn't too bad. It was on Wednesday when we had a thaw that it really sucked. The tarp that we put under the bus was a series of puddles and lakes.
But as much as I complain, at the end of the day it felt really good to be all dirty and disgusting knowing that we finally started on our home.
The week also had a few other frustrations. We are trying really hard to be as conscientious and sustainable as possible with this project.
After the seats were out, we had to figure out what to do with them. Pretty much everyone I talked to (including a guy who worked at a recycling
and sustainability group) told us to just take them to the dump. By Thursday afternoon I was pretty discouraged. Luckily, my sister (who we are staying with) employs a woman at the country store who also has an upholstery business. She's going to take the foam and the Naugahyde, and talk to a person that she knows who works for a school busing company who can hopefully take what she can't use. I did a lot of research, and found out that if you live in a more urban area, and are looking for something to do with your seat foam, you can take it to places that recycle carpet padding. Unfortunately for us, Vermont is still a little behind where that kind of thing comes in.
On Saturday, John and my dad worked really hard and got the rubber floors and rotted plywood flooring up in less than two hours. It was pretty amazing to watch.
This week we are going to be be working on cleaning up the floor, using some anti-rusting agents on it, sealing it against water, insulating and hopefully beginning to build the new floor. Sounds pretty ambitious to me, we'll see how far we get!