Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
You are one of those "weeded out"...WSHTF those with the worthless knowledge will have the power...there is no wasted knowledge!!!
"SHTF" has happened and Ham has been useless 99.009% of the time. About as useful as a VCR recorder.

I use a HAM radio from time to time. I carry one in my gear they are good for "bring me some cat5 cable" from the work truck.
You don't need a license in a disaster and the odds of the FEDs tracking you down outside a disaster are very slim(I have heard of those old men with scanners calling them).

ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
"SHTF" has happened and Ham has been useless 99.009% of the time. About as useful as a VCR recorder.

I use a HAM radio from time to time. I carry one in my gear they are good for "bring me some cat5 cable" from the work truck.
You don't need a license in a disaster and the odds of the FEDs tracking you down outside a disaster are very slim(I have heard of those old men with scanners calling them).
We get it, you dont agree with the requirements of licensing. Can we get back on MY topic now?
mangus580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangus580 View Post
We get it, you dont agree with the requirements of licensing. Can we get back on MY topic now?

**THIS**!!!!

Looking forward to seeing this build come alive!!! im really surprised i havent seen more Busses at field days.. the length of a bus makes it perfect for antennas that can fold down along the sides for driving and easily lifted up when you park.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
I'm a believer - donation sent in. Best wishes in your build. You might want to contact school districts in your area to see if you could work a deal since it's being used for youth education.

73's de Bill N4TJS

TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'd love to see your bus...I'd help if I could
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think somewhere in the mid 2000s the FCC dropped the requirement for morse code on the Tech and General licenses.. im not sure if 'extra' still requires it or not. in the late 80s / early 90s they created a no-code tech license which brought on a lot of younger people who wanted to join in but felt code was worethless.. this was a way to "taste" HAM.. you could work 2 meters and 400cm I believe but didnt have access to the HF bands. most often you got hooked so you would study and upgrade to a General which required code at the time.

-Christopher
Code ain't worthless...I'm just tone deaf...
Old 04-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Code ain't worthless...I'm just tone deaf...
So are my fingers.....

M
Old 04-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Never got around to the sending aspect of code, but I can copy 25 wpm on a mill.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Never got around to the sending aspect of code, but I can copy 25 wpm on a mill.
Pretty darn good...fastest I've ever seen was 40...and that was a contest
Old 04-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
So are my fingers.....

M [emoji3]
[emoji23]I have to have 10 characters to post a smiley face...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 04-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #31
Almost There

Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3
I set my bus up to have a 2m/70cm antenna on top. I used it while driving to Florida last summer, and then to Colorado over New Year's.

Mostly for me to kill time while the wife is driving.

Also used FRS/GMRS radios for everyone while skiing. i have the bus radio tuned to the frequencies so if I (or anyone) took a break in the bus we could hear everyone else while they skied.

I also use it to scan EMS freq's. My company sent me to Houston for Harvey relief and several of us used my bus while waiting to be tasked with a mission. We would sit and wait in the a/c and watch tv, nap or eat. With the radio on we at least had some idea of what was going on.
Frqnt-Flyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

So, while I wait for donations to roll in (follow our progress here - https://www.gofundme.com/yarn-bus ) I am starting to 'spec out' the bus that would work best for us.

I figure I could post some questions and thoughts and gather opinions...

Engine
  • Cat 3126 - I hear its a nice engine... But worry about 'repair' costs if needed. I fear the CAT prices!
  • Cat C7 - Mostly curious here... I see references saying avoid this engine??
  • Cummins 5.9 - My opinion - likely the smartest engine choice for cheap repairs and longevity
  • Cummins 8.3 - More power!!! we always want more power!
  • IH DT466 - Most likely would be the E version at this point... and worried about ECCB's adventures!!
  • IH DT-444 - Hard to beat the old 7.3!! probably ranks right up there with the 5.9

Thats my thought on engines!!

My next consideration is chassis style.... Conventional Dognose; Flat nose front engine, or Flat nose rear engine.

Obviously, easiest to find is a Dognose. downfall is, I am after interior space and this is a detriment when it comes to that.

I am thinking I would find the Front engine Flat-nose the best option. My concern with this would be possible emergency repairs by a shop, and a surcharge due to a doghouse. Any thoughts???

A rear engine would be ok I guess, but the thought of our design, is to be able to bring 'tours' in the front door, and work them through and out the back door (obviously would need stairs for the back.

I am open to opinions on this!

Our layout will ideally have 4 original seats (2 each side) and then 'work benches/desks' down the walls with up to 3 work stations on each side.

I am pretty sure that I can make everything fit nicely like this. I had a drawing made up once, but I seem to have lost it.

Thanks,
Mike
KD2IFF
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #33
Skoolie

Engine: 3126 7.2
Hoping to get my Skoolie conversion going soon. I have plans to set up a bus as a mobile Ham Radio station. Its for a local club of ours that is dedicated to introducing the hobby to the younger generations.

Mike I think this is a fantastic idea, and will be sending some money... I see it clearly states THE HOBBY... hobbies are great and if it keeps our children doing good things and learning etiquette and how to socialize without a cell or an online game... EXCELLENT!!! glad your doing this... we are kind of neighbors seeing as we are 15 minutes in a skoolie away from each other... if I can help any other way, let me know...

Fellow (315ER)
Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #34
Skoolie

Mike,
Another thought, if you wanted to have a face-to-face seating area (eating, resting, etc) - you can take seats from the opposite side and create a picnic table style seating area.

I like your thoughts regarding engines - you obviously have been reading and doing your due diligence. I'm sure you've been looking at transmission options also.

I look forward to working bus-to-bus DX some day!!

73's,
Bill N4TJS
Old 04-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailLifeBill View Post
Mike,
Another thought, if you wanted to have a face-to-face seating area (eating, resting, etc) - you can take seats from the opposite side and create a picnic table style seating area.

I like your thoughts regarding engines - you obviously have been reading and doing your due diligence. I'm sure you've been looking at transmission options also.

I look forward to working bus-to-bus DX some day!!

73's,
Bill N4TJS
I have opinions on the transmission - but for most of my driving, its pretty much not relevant. I do know I prefer an auto for the project... but between allison models, i dont really think one is any more expensive to maintain than another. And as far as longevity, I think for my purposes, any model should be just fine.

Someone correct me if you dont agree!
Old 04-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
My next consideration is chassis style.... Conventional Dognose; Flat nose front engine, or Flat nose rear engine.

Obviously, easiest to find is a Dognose. downfall is, I am after interior space and this is a detriment when it comes to that.

I am thinking I would find the Front engine Flat-nose the best option. My concern with this would be possible emergency repairs by a shop, and a surcharge due to a doghouse. Any thoughts???

A rear engine would be ok I guess, but the thought of our design, is to be able to bring 'tours' in the front door, and work them through and out the back door (obviously would need stairs for the back.

I am open to opinions on this!

Our layout will ideally have 4 original seats (2 each side) and then 'work benches/desks' down the walls with up to 3 work stations on each side.

I am pretty sure that I can make everything fit nicely like this. I had a drawing made up once, but I seem to have lost it.

Thanks,
Mike
KD2IFF
Your best for floor plans is the Transit-style RE. On the Transit-style FE, the doghouse intrudes on the living spaces. The RE does, too, but not nearly as much. Additionally, the RE is quieter and less heat intrudes inside.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #37
Skoolie

Engine: 3126 7.2
Quote:
Your best for floor plans is the Transit-style RE. On the Transit-style FE, the doghouse intrudes on the living spaces. The RE does, too, but not nearly as much. Additionally, the RE is quieter and less heat intrudes inside.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I think you missed the part about how I really want to have the center back door still.

I agree on the RE being absolute best for space though. And being that I am keeping the front 2 rows of seats the doghouse wont be an issue other than the angled steps coming in, and driver seat access.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Our donations are creeping along slowly, but making progress... ( https://www.gofundme.com/yarn-bus )

I have been looking at busses left and right....

I have been starting to eye up all the space of a RE Transit style bus.

My question is... I see several international RE's out there, with the T444e engine. Is this enough for a 78 pax rear engine bus??? I suppose anything is possible with enough gearing... and they appear to mostly have the MD3060, so I suppose with low gearing and a 6th gear unlock it could be pretty decent.

Thoughts?

I would suspect a similar answer on a similar bus with the 5.9 cummins. I suspect the 5.9 and the T444e perform pretty similar?

As listed above, i would prefer to stick with one of these very common engines instead of jumping up to the Cat or DT466...

In the end, most of our driving will be pretty local. Granted, we do have some decent hills around here, there shouldnt ever be much of a need to climb them at any great pace!

Thanks for any input!

Mike
K2GC (for those hams in here, yes I got a new call!)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #40
Skoolie

For local/regional use, I wouldn't have any issues with the Cummins 5.9 - as long as you treat it with care. Personally, I'd rather have the 5.9 over the 444. I have heard great things about the 466 though. Avoid the AT545 transmission.
I have the Cummins 5.9 with a MT-653 transmission and am quite happy with it. I just realize I have a good reliable trail horse, not a thoroughbred or a draft horse.

73's
Bill
N4TJS