Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71
Hank,youlubdabus

This is Hank our bus...along with Tuck one of our Newfoundland dogs. We purchased the bus to spend time traveling with our dogs.

Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Hank,youlubdabus

Congratulations! Looks like Tuck loves the bus.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Welcome! Nice looking rig & pooch. Let's see more of both.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Almost There

Thanks, he does like it most of the time. I have one who hears it start and she is the first one out the door... I will post more as time allows. This has been fun we have had our bus for about a year and a half. I have had to design it with the limitation of getting four Newf sized crates in it. Then what space is left over will be for us. I have learned it all here as far as what I want to do. All have been very helpful in doing this conversion.
Tracy

Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Growing up, our family had friends that had a large newfie kennel. We lived on a quiet lake-and somehow became a newfie resue home. People that bought them + the dog got too big-dogs that had grey on them taking them out of being show dogs-etc. Great dogs-great memories.
When my wife + I decided to get a dog a couple of years ago-she wanted a Newfie-but knowing the short lifespan-hip problems and other health issues, I (sadly)talked her out of it. So we comprimised on a "smaller" dog. A Newfoundlands cousin-a great Pyranees. (smaller being 130 lbs)
The table in our bus folds down to the seats to form a perfect doggie bed for her-and i turned over one of the picture windows that had sliding vent window on top to give her somewhere to get fresh air going down the road. Reka approved.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Almost There

Of both, okIMG]http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj345/tracy3223/DSC_7415.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Ohhh--i love it! I want to be drewled on!
Reka loves the bus even when not in use. Its high enough for her to hide in the shade. (Good incentive to keeping the bottom of the bus clean-white dogs find oil leaks pretty easy.)

Even though we THINK shes a Golden Pyrennes, (part Golden Retriver-part Great Pyrenees)-heritage is unknown. She was a rescue dog out of Tn.
I'm suspicious about the Golden--she HATES water!

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Beer, then!.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
... Even though we THINK shes a Golden Pyrennes, (part Golden Retriver-part Great Pyrenees)-heritage is unknown. She was a rescue dog out of Tn.
Lab perhaps? She looks to be almost as big as our Lab/Chow we once had... size of a rather large Lab but built like a Chow.. and it was the "bad" lab... Thanks to the book Marley and Me for this revaluation. He was a rescue too. The best kind of dog to have!

PS. We are dogless since the death of our last dog (rescue as well) back in 2007.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
Almost There

Your only "dogless" for as long as you want to be.
Tracy
Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiedogs
Tracy
Welcome, that is a nice looking bus.

I can't imagine being "dogless". My border collie Sara Lee and my shih tzu Bob were and still are my best bus building companions. All I have to say is "do you wanna go in the bus" and all heck breaks loose with them trying to get out of the house
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Almost There

I know how that is, having the dogs help with the bus. I have to watch out when welding, they like to stay too close.
Tracy
Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Or you have tooooooooooo many dogs... free shih tzus available...
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

As we are talking about dogs, here are my two rescued dogs. The black one is Emma. She is TOO smart. She knows how to open the back door of the bus by lifting up the lever. And she also sings when I play my accordion. The blonde one is Buddy. He is not that smart, but he is strong.

I have met some Newfies in my life. They have always been gentle. I would like to have one, but my medium sized dogs are just the right size. I did not pick them. They both showed up at my place a couple of years apart. I gave them a home and saved them from getting run over on the road.

Emma is eight years old, and Buddy is ten years old. They are my family. I have no children or wife.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiedogs
Tracy
We operate a food cart. We can not be dragging hair into the food prep area. So David says no more furkids. I am still finding hair from KC in the Class C. And she passed in 2007!

I tend to end up with "fuzzy" dogs

Sasha (one of my wedding presents from David) was a rescued registered AKC American Eskimo Spitz. Championship bloodlines worth far too much $$ and her owner starved her, beat her and broke one of her front legs. She ate one of the morons fancy bunny rabbits. Every thing about this guy was for show. He also beat his wife and kids. So a friend of one of my brother-in-laws removed the dog from the guy took her to the vet to get her leg set and I ended up with her.

Sam, (not his name and he didn't answer to it), was a Lab/chow mix. also long haired. He was what we would call a "Bubba". He fell in love with our antique cat (she was OLD when we rescued her from an animal shelter... we estimate she was well into her 20's when she passed). The cat would let him chew on her head, kiss her all over (she was soggy wet after one of his "love sessions") and he would lay on her and all we could hear was her purring with no sign of her (he was huge and she was tiny... about the size of a 6 month old kitten). Sam was hit by a vehicle just days before we moved off a busy road. He was... different.

K.C. was a rescue. She was a Borzoi/Husky mix. Had the long outer fur of a Borzoi with the under coat of a Husky. She was a couch tater. She slept all the time. Which made our antique cat happy since the dog was warm. Her fav spot was in bed. In the Class C, she rode on the bed to where she could sleep or sit and look out the huge rear window and stick her tongue out at other people and dogs. She was my "favourite" and liked to "tell" the girls that as well. She was a year old before she ever barked and scared herself so badly that she didn't try to bark for another 6 months. Like huskies, she "talked" alot. David & the girls taught her to say "Mom" (I hated that), "No" and "Out". She would tell me & David to get "out" of the bed so she could burrow under the covers when it was cold out. She took up the whole bed. When the antique cat died, she wouldn't eat. After a month we took her to an animal shelter and got her another cat... the only one in the pen who would come up to her. She firmly believed that her name was "My Pretty Precious Petite BeBe". She had days (weeks) when that was the only name she would answer to.

Little Fat Pita cat. The shelter had named her Pita because she was so tiny, and she had HUGE feet. By the time she became a full adult, she weighed 15 to 16 lbs (she wasn't fat, just big). We believe she was part Maine Coon. She would sit outside in the rain and never get soaked to the skin. She shed water like an Otter. She let my daughter Stacey (the one who got our Class C) wash her in the sink. She was a strange cat. She thought she was a dog. KC was jumped in one time by three dogs while we were staying in my Mom's cabin (David lived there while working in NC). Pita came off the deck on her "knuckles"... she looked like one of those short English bull dogs> She jumped the dogs (one was a known cat killer) and backed my Mom's wolf-hybrid into a corner and he rolled over to her. A few days later, we headed back home to TN. Our neighbours dog (Grand Pyranees... just a puppy still) had been harassing the cat for a few months. She came out of the Jeep and he spotted her and decided to do his thing with her. She ran him out of the yard. After than, she would chase dogs. Taking walks around the campground with her (on a leash and dog harness) was interesting. Most cats want to run from dogs. Mine wanted to eat one! She also picked up KC's dislike of the tiny "yappers".

When KC died, that cat was sure I had done something to the dog. She kinda became unhinged. So we took her back up to Franklin to stay with Stacey in familiar surroundings. At the time, we were parking in the driveway of the rich...idiot.. David worked for who had lots of cats. One of whom decided he wanted to live with us. Naughty Boy managed to slip inside the RV and proceeded to make himself at home. I didn't see him and could not figure out why she was growling at me. Even though I shooed Naughty Boy out, she was still POed at me. She got worse after that incident. After about a month or so, Stacey gave her a bath and the cat was outside without her collar(id) and harness while she dried and that was the last she was seen. We think she went looking for her dog. We searched the neighborhood, checked the animal shelters for over a year. Stacey still blames herself for the cat disappearing.

David said no more pets for a while. Now if one came to us, that would be different. but I wasn't to go get one. ALL of our pets have been rescues.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
Almost There

So many dog stories, keep them coming. This is how we set up for camp. This was up at Guelph Lake in Ontario, we were there for a water rescue dog test. I have no awning yet but that will come in time. This is one of our four, Rio he is just a little over a year old and at 155#. These guys are so fun to travel with they always bring people over to us to tell of Newfies that they have had or met in their lives. The bus is only painted halfway at this point.
Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6992.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Almost There

One more...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6981.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Newfieddogs,
Do you have any close up pics on how you framed your side door, assuming you installed it...
Assumed , I hate that word, because it is on the passenger side??
Thx...
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
Almost There

I will look when I get home and post them for you in the gallery. Yes I did that to my rig, there was a lot of looking at how others here have done it(sporty rick and bears den) and just supported the area from insde and cut a hole. The door I purchased from a craigs list ad it is just a work trailer door. I needed a 36 inch opening to get a messed crate out if needed! It has been the best modification so far. It also let me put a seat for my wife up front so we can look at each when we argue... For the first few trips when we got it I kinda enjoyed only hearing from the Tom Tom going down the road. I'm gonna get it for that comment but I know I'm not the only one that can relate.
Tracy
Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #20
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

Many of us can relate, well I am single, but I was married for 19 years, so I know... I am sure she makes a great co-pilot.
Anyway, I have looked at sporty ricks (not bears den yet) and the trouble I am having is , the wide window opening I want to use, corresponds with one of the fuel tanks below... it seems I would have to settle for a smaller door, or outside steps. i will do some more research... Thx Tracy.

Thom
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote