Old 06-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
The system actually has one of those 11 gallon portable air tanks which I fill at home. In theory it holds plenty of air for the whole 55 gallon tank to be delivered at a reasonable pressure. We'll have to see this week if that holds true. If all else fails I'll just recharge off the brakes.

As a note...the air in my brakes system is CLEAN.....perhaps it's the heated air drier with a filter element that makes it so clean or maybe I'm just really fortunate. Either way....I drained my tanks the other day and the only thing that came out was air. Of course now the drain petcocks are leaking air....not enough to be ANY sort of danger (the bus is WELL within the air loss guidelines), but enough to just plain annoy me.

Ok...enough ranting...on with the progress. We started painting today after lots and lots of sanding. The roof has two coats of a latex based waterproofing and insulating elastomeric paint in a bright, bright white color. The sides are being rolled and brushed (time constaints....leaving on Wednesday for Wisconsin) with a fantastic industrial paint from work. The stuff is called "International Harvester White," but is actually a beige as you might see on an IHC tractor. I figure this color should match well with any trim color down the road. As a side note...you can get ANY tractor paint color you want from this company if you're doing a restoration. I took a sample of the Ford Grey and it matches PERFECTLY with my valve cover.

I have a long day ahead of me with a lot of work, but I promise I will take pictures and update everything before I leave on Wednesday.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Well....the bus has had its maiden voyage and it was a complete success.

I learned one thing...if you build it, they will come. I have updated my pictures in the gallery with the conversion stuff. That is probably the cleanest it will ever be again.

I also have some of the not necessarily bad, but probably not family oriented pictures available for view elsewhere. I promise there is nothing horrible, but rather than risk offending someone I will just say they are rated R (for rowdy good fun?). I will add a description to each as I can, but it will take some time to go through them all. You can view them if you so choose at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/the_experience3006

They are under the "C-Fest" album.

Hitches with the bus on the trip:

diesel is hovering around $3 per gallon and it gets 8 mpg (veggie to come)

it is no speed demon (governor adjustment to come)

it blew out a tire and cooked it in the 15 miles we HAD to drive with the flat dual to town to repairs. It cost me $130 all told for mounting, a new tube, and a used radial with more tread than my current rear tires. It also cost us $15 because the 18 year old recent high school graduate who did the work at Bloomer Tire in Bloomer, Wisconsin did it amazingly fast and amazingly well with a smile on his face the whole time. I'm a sucker for good old fashioned service like that and he earned his tip.

the roof is a bit scary with 20 people on it when it's wet. It supports it JUST fine (those one piece Wayne Lifegaurd body panels), but without railings....well....I'll work on things.

the porta potti has a badly deteriorated but very important gasket....don't ask me how I know

Other than that it was amazing. I still have lots to do, but atleast I finally got to use the thing.

BTW....the bus bug has bit a buddy of mine after seeing Havoc. Coming next week....Hovac on the Highway II....the short bus cometh