Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

heat and hot water

I came across these boliers as ideas for heat and hot water. They are not UL tested or ASME approved. Sold by a couple different retailers.

Comes in 55k, 73k and 105k BTU. I had a whole big post but when I went to preview it , it all went poof, so gonna try one pic and a bunch of links.

Specialty Boiler #151 Bucket-A-Day | MessickStove.com (856) 364-8727 - Wood Stove - Bridgeton, New Jersey 08302
Specialty Boiler #1530 Coal Veal Boiler | MessickStove.com (856) 364-8727 - Wood Stove - Bridgeton, New Jersey 08302
Specialty Boiler #9158 Coal Boiler | MessickStove.com (856) 364-8727 - Wood Stove - Bridgeton, New Jersey 08302

DS Machine Stoves DS151 Bucket-A-Day Boiler by Obadiah's Woodstoves

DS-151 Bucket a Day Water Heater - Wilson Coal & Supply

perryT200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Holy cow that is a lot of output. They look awesome but most of those models look pretty large for a bus. Which could be awesome depending on your needs. I like the simplicity and coal is a very energy dense fuel if you can get it readily. It burns for a long time and is a practical option in that way. The really cool thing about those stoves is their thermal mass, if you figure the heat and energy holding capacity of the stove plus 30 gallons of really hot water means that even if the stove went out, you'd be warm for hours.

Pretty sweet
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Ha! i am reading the Queen of Peace thread now. wanted to see how you did your roof raise.

And you said,
Quote:
I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about running some pex and going radiant ;)

I will be using a woodstove for heat though. I've got my heart set on a Hobbit stove, but the shipping from the UK has me bummed out. I would love to find a way to heat water using the stove and either pipe it to a radiator at the other end of the bus, or for use showering, etc...
The smallest one at 55K btu should be good for a large bus I think. The info says they heat between 250-1800 sq ft. I did call one place and got a quote of $715 without the controls or shipping. I put links to all the retailers I could find so anyone could do some price shopping.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Bus Nut

It's definitely a cool stuff, but keep in mind that you'll need to find a place to keep a storage tank of around 30 gallons. That's a lot of space to give up on a bus. My bus is so well insulated, that 55000 BTU is about 3 times more than a need, even in the coldest climates. Sure there are ways around that, but I would rather not give up extra space for a system that's too big for my needs, when there are other alternatives out there that take up less space and are a better fit for the heat output I need

If my bus was not insulated and had all of the original windows and I lived in a cold climate, I would definitely consider a stove like this.

Of course, I would not live in a bus in a cold climate that was uninsulated and had all the original windows
Old 12-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

My phone lights up when there is a reply, I am going to have shut that off. Not sitting here just waiting.

Sure there would be trade offs. And your bus is already done. But not everyone's application is the same, while you live on yours I am looking at more of a mobile hunting cabin with bunk beds that we might take to some NASCAR races.

If I remember correctly after a 20in roof raise, you got the walls and ceilings to somewhere around R20 with 3 inches of professionally sprayed in foam insulation at a cost of $2200.

With 3 times the heat on a new installation, cutting back on some of the insulation cost, it might be a wash.

I think your bus looks sweet , but I still can't tell what is holding up the roof before you put the spacers in on the pic of it in the garage. I think I see some scaffolding in the front but it looks like the whole back end is open air.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

We welded in temp metal tubes to hold it up while we welded in the new sections of hat channel.

My feelings on insulation are that I love it and it's worth it if you will be living in your bus.

If it's even close enough to being 'a wash' id say insulate. You will enjoy the added insulation 100% of the time, your bus will require much less fuel and space for heating and you'll stand a good chance of being able to cool it reasonably well, too!

But it's always up to the owner and whatever you'll be happy with. I just know what I like

If you aren't gonna live in it, it's a whole different story and I'm a big fan of simple and cheap and fun skoolie conversions. Lived in a few of those, too, but I wouldn't call one my fulltime home. Mostly for the dead of winter and summer. It adds up to about 4 or 5 months where you really don't want to be living in a bus fulltime unless it's been insulated beyond stock (3 in the winter from Dec-Feb and July/August in the summer).
Instragram: @lookatthatbus