Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #381
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
be sure your window A/C can build the static pressure needed to traverse small ductwork.. every run,. every elbow requires a bit more air pressure to push through the pipes.. the window units im familiar with dont have a very strong blower.. they are low speed big-buite blower wheels which move lots of air at zero pressure (ie right from the fan to the vent). you may want to do some tests with your unit before you install it.
-Christopher
CK,

I've got several in-line 120 volt fans to help pull the cooler air along to final destination. I was hoping to get the basics bought today, but that wasn't to be. The shop didn't quite grasp my design, so they're doing some mods to what they got done. New schedule is now Friday to pick up. I'll still have some work to do on the basic design, but it should work once I'm done.

My buddy that's helping with my build is getting me in contact with a spray foam guy in Houston. So once I get the back panel finally fitted and finished I'll be ready to get the spray foam going. The process for the foam is in two parts, 1: spray 2" even to the hat channel, then install the roof sheet metal I saved as well as getting some extra sheet metal to cover where the blanked windows and walls don't have any as of yet. 2: install 2X4 runners and spray foam to the edges of the 2X4s and install 1/8 inch birch wood to cover the foam and begin the interior build.

I still have electrical runs, plumbing holes, A/C holes and runs to graft into the spray foaming part, so I'm taking things slowly in order to get the sequence of what-goes-next right the first time. Studying other people's builds here really helps in that process.

I was also hoping to post some pics today, but I only bought 1&1/2 inch angle iron from SSS Steel, some clear lenses for the four lights I'm going to install between the headlights, and topped off my diesel fuel at $2.08/gallon today. Overall, good buys, but not the A/C adapter special I was hoping for. Hopefully that will be done Friday. Tomorrow is D.O.T. physical @ 0700 hours and begin my Biology class for my teaching license update.

Until next time.......

M

Old 07-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #382
Bus Crazy

Greetings all!

Well, I got the adapter from Blumenthal's today! WoHOO!!!! I'm getting together with another friend of mine this evening to work on several more adaptations to this thing. I'm getting a harness to thread through the floors and control the A/C unit from inside the bus, getting a 3" exhaust pipe from AutoZone to add a second branch to cool the bus more effectively, getting several in-line fans to help pull the air through the PVC pipes more efficiently. I'll have some pics later on today.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #383

Subscribed! Super interested to see about this AC system you have going on! Let us know how well she works!
TheBoosingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #384
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey M...you must be the reason all my stuff is running behind at Blumenthal!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #385
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is the A/C thermostat mechanical? if so how are you going to remote control it unless you just always set it to the coldest setting and use a separate thermostat controlling that circuit?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #386
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey M...you must be the reason all my stuff is running behind at Blumenthal!
Actually my buddy put in a 10K unit order with them about two weeks ago. I recommended Blumenthal's to him about three weeks ago because his company won the bid.

I have some pics of the wiring harness another friend of mine helped me with this afternoon. Still not finished with it but getting reaaaaaaly close! We put 12 gauge extensions 15 feet long. When I install the harness I'm going to make a few other adaptations then as well.

I cut the controller out of the front housing. I have a few steps to do before she's in her final place. God love those Dremmel tools!

Oh, CK, the controller is electronic I believe. But then again I could easily be wrong...... LOL
I'll have more pics tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
20170718_211818.jpg   20170718_211728.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 03:40 AM   #387
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Now for some scenery... Here's a shot from the mountain in Close Encounters of the Third Kind, an airplane bone yard, and another mountain shot going home:
UHHH..... NO.
The "Devils Tower" is in Wyoming over by South Dakota.
https://www.nps.gov/deto/index.htm

The one you are seeing in Arizona is just a similar formation.
And it changes shape as you pass by it.
Dixie Bushcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:49 AM   #388
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Well, today my son and I got a bunch done on Heavy Fuel today. Here's some of the pics. I taught him how to use the grinder this afternoon. He was excited about using a new power tools and getting the jobs done sooner rather than later. We discovered the fiberglass has a black glue goo holding it up. So I need to re-read the thread that tells me what chemical(s) clean up the black goo. Right now he's asleep and I'm soon going to be... So here are the pics from today:
Is there any downside to removing the tar/glue ???
Can it just be left in place if there is no rust ???
Old 07-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #389
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Bushcraft View Post
Is there any downside to removing the tar/glue ???
Can it just be left in place if there is no rust ???
I'll be getting a solid answer to that question in the next few weeks from a spray foaming company in Houston. Right now the work is HUMID and I'm working on the A/C system to at least bring a little relief as I'm working.

Here's the A/C adapter Blumenthal's built for me. I'm going to put a second 3 inch outlet on it so I can zone control the bus. More on that later.

As Tango would say:

ONWARD
Attached Thumbnails
20170719_082625.jpg   20170719_082635.jpg   20170719_082642.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #390
Bus Geek

I'm sorry, but that photo cannot have been taken in Houston. If it had, the new metal would already be rusty!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #391
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I'm sorry, but that photo cannot have been taken in Houston. If it had, the new metal would already be rusty!
Tango, I took it this morning in Katy. Stainless steel also helps.....
Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #392
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm also planning on using the amber and red flasher lights for the front -mounted about the same height as the headlights and clear lenses for them so when we're out on a lonely stretch of road/off road I have extra light on the front to see more effectively. I'll have details on that part of the build in the coming weeks. I'm planning on using a heavy duty relay to wire in the lights and make things safe.

M
If I understand right, you are wanting WHITE lights in the overhead forward position.

If that is what you are thinking, then you can find LED spots in that size fairly easy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=4+ro...w=1366&bih=652

Check with truck chrome and accessory shops.

Also,
Might want to remember to turn them off if traffic is approaching.
Some States have a maximum height for white or driving lights.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #393
Bus Geek

remember to insulate that before you install it... even if you just spray it with undercoating or plasti-dip.. or even dynamat one side of it.. will help with keeping yoyur cool air in..

looks cool!!
-Christopher
Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #394
Bus Geek

Many states require that forward facing white lights above normal headlight level be covered anytime on the road. They are considered legal for "off-road" use only.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #395
Bus Crazy

in 50 yrs of driving i have never been stopped for extra lights...however, turn them off with approaching traffic.. Only been stopped for wrong color..so worrying about driving lights is pretty much overblown, ... even new cars today have the lower wattage ones... makes it kinda difficult for the fuzz to stop original vehicles...
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #396
Bus Crazy

The lights are going to be mounted on the front bumper. I already have the clear lenses. It's just a matter of fabbing up some sheet metal. I may have an answer for that as well. Stay tuned on that project.

Changing topics, my A/C extension cord works AWESOMELY!!!!!! Here are the pics from my apartment this evening. Wifie helped me move the A/C unit toward the correct plug in the kitchen so we didn't blow a fuse. I was THRILLED with the results. Everything on the now remote control works perfectly! WoHOO!!!!! If you look carefully to the lower left on the A/C unit you can see where the remote connector hooks up to the unit itself. Plus I bought a 12 point connection strip and made a bridge so if either the remote control or the A/C unit needs to be either serviced or repaired, I can do one or the other without bothering the other part.

My son is helping me Friday to get this stuff to the bus and then it's on to borrowing a welder and cutting some angle iron I bought from SSS Steel in Houston last week. I'm so PUMPED!!!!!! I wish my on-line science course would go as easy. So many bugs in their system is causing my computer to go into fits. I get about 45 minutes of on-line studying done and then I have to wait about an hour for everything to reset..... But if it gets me my teaching license to the point of other school systems willing to hire me, than so be it....

Enjoy the pics.... Sorry my phone camera doesn't have the clarity I was hoping for......

Hey Tango, it feels good to get something electrical done on the rig huh?

M
Attached Thumbnails
20170719_190745.jpg   20170719_195822.jpg  
Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #397
Bus Crazy

Another successful day today in scoring parts! I got THREE 55 gallon water barrels, a 5K BTU A/C window unit (that will help with working in such a hot bus in summer), a butcher's block, multiple 2X4s, two 2X10s, plywood, PVC pipe, bike carrier, some RG 58U antenna cable, and an A/C regulator tool.

Check out the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
20170721_182657.jpg   20170721_182707.jpg   20170721_182739.jpg   20170721_184052.jpg  
Old 07-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #398
Bus Geek

Great score! And good luck on becoming "The Science Guy"!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #399
Bus Geek

nice score!!!! good stuff!

whats an A/C regulator tool?

-Christopher
Old 07-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #400
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
nice score!!!! good stuff!

whats an A/C regulator tool?
I'm glad someone else asked....I was wondering too?
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote