Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 03:09 AM   #401
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
nice score!!!! good stuff!

whats an A/C regulator tool?

-Christopher
It's a series of gauges and stop cocks that tell you what pressures you have in the A/C system and you can add refrigerant in precisely exact amounts to avoid over pressurizing the system. I've always wanted one. Now that I have one I'm going to learn how to properly use it. Add a new skill to my tool box of knowledge.

M

Old 07-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #402
Bus Crazy

is good idea to have the ac guage set, n adaptors for the diffrent systems. also need pocket thermometer or digital to measure output temp, etc.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #403
Bus Crazy

More work done today! WoHOO!!!!!! First order of business is to figure out the A/C unit I got for free. A few small adjustments and BINGO! We now have working A/C in the bus! Widow rattler is AWESOME!!!!! The front third of the bus was actually pleasant! Inside was much cooler and considerably drier than the outside. That little unit removed a whole GALLON of water from the air today. It made working inside the bus so good! I got the windshield washer unit working by replacing the little plastic fitting connecting the inside tube to the outside tube. I'm also rebuilding the dashboard. Repositioning the gauges to more user friendly positions shouldn't take too long. I'm making a cardboard prototype to use for the final steel dash. I'm also getting wife's air-ride seat roughed in so it won't go tumbling every time I move the bus. I'm SOOO pumped with having some A/C to provide some much needed RELIEF!!!!!!! So here are the pics with more to come!
Attached Thumbnails
20170731_115304.jpg   20170731_115312.jpg   20170731_125341.jpg   20170731_153547.jpg   20170731_153552.jpg  

Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 PM   #404
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Lookin' good M! --- And like you, I am thinking about temporarily installing my window unit just for survival purposes.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #405
Bus Crazy

Tango,

It's well worth the effort! Working in cooler conditions makes all the difference in the world! My bonus is that unit I got for the right price.... FREE!!!!!! Although I'm still a little sore from all the contorted positions I was in yesterday, I'm not feeling my usual "OMG, I'm soooooo drained" feeling I usually experience in the summer working on HF. I actually have energy for today's effort with helping a close friend and her husband with inventorying their storage unit. Lots of electronics need to be accounted for. Tomorrow I'm planning on getting more stuff done on HF with pics to follow........

M
Old 08-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #406
Bus Crazy

More work on the dash today! In addition, a spray foam guy came over and gave me a quote and honest assessment of what to do with insulation. He was very helpful.

First, the dash. Took so much gunk and trash out of the defrosters it was a four hour task. I went though an entire roll of paper towels cleaning these vents. I painted them, then painted the detested "institution green" parts of the dash the same black color, reinstalled them, and figured out how to secure another part of the dash that's been rattling for a while. All these "little" things add up over time.

The spray foam guy came out and looked at HF. He was very impressed. He figured I was spending around $75K on HF....... He was very surprised when I told him how much we're putting into her. He left with the idea of trying to convince his wife to get on board....... I suspect he's in for a experience..... I could be wrong......

Anyways, here are the pics, enjoy!

M
Attached Thumbnails
20170803_165056.jpg   20170803_165102.jpg   20170803_165109.jpg   20170803_165119.jpg  
Old 08-17-2017, 06:11 AM   #407
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Can I ask what price the spray foam guy quoted?
Great progress by the way!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #408
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
Can I ask what price the spray foam guy quoted?
Great progress by the way!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the flowers tobeamiss! The quote was $1800 for each application. He told me the spray foam can go between the bottom steel kicker and oxidize so I don't have to worry about the spray tuning to goo. I was planning on two different applications to create about four inches of insulation with an R value in the mid 30's, but at that price, I need to find more affordable alternatives. I don't have a spare $3600 lying around. If I did I'd be much further along on this build to say the least! So here's the initial sketch of the dash.....

I did hear back from Blumenthal's this morning. They gave me a sketch up of the new dash. I let them know there was a small change, but otherwise it was exactly what I need. SOOOOO excited to get that dash back! In addition, I have a new-to-me ham radio going in there as well! Here's a pic of one like it. The face is removable and I'm getting the connector cable so I can remote mount it to the dash and put the body close to A/C to keep her cool when in use.

M
Attached Thumbnails
serveimageradio.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BUS DASH Model (1).pdf (28.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #409
Bus Crazy

Hey all,

Got the final design from Blumenthal's! I'm SOOOOOO stoked! Should have it in by the weekend! New dash, new radio, new this, new that..... Spray foam is going in toward the end of September. We're getting close to actually starting the interior build. I suspect Tango will finish before we do....... He started before us anyhow.....

M
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BUS DASH-R2 Model (1).pdf (34.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #410
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey M --- Lookin' good. That wrap around array should be pretty slick! Can't wait to see it installed and full of shiny new gauges.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #411
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hey M --- Lookin' good. That wrap around array should be pretty slick! Can't wait to see it installed and full of shiny new gauges.
Tango,

I can afford shiny, just not new..... There are only two new gauges I'll be putting in, a transmission temperature gauge and a pyrometer. All the other gauges are "reconditioned" by yours truly.... New lamps, some cleaning, some wire tracing, some of this some of that. Y'know the usual "I'm trying my best without any money" routine...... However, I have a sweet CD player I saved from my old P71 Interceptor and the new-to-me IC706 MK2G en route from PA just waiting to get here.

Plus I have a Dell OptiPlex 755 super tower (yes I know it's a dinosaur) reprogrammed to control the ham radio and a few other goodies in the bus when I get to that point. I'm kinda stealing a little bit of Justin's idea with the dash board. I'll have more steel, keep my coolant heated defroster, but I'll have some wood where I'm modifying the dash. Since I've solved the leaking issues with the front of the bus I'm keeping the left side dashboard all steel, just adding some insulation to the compartment on the other side.

So much to do, so little time.......

M
Old 08-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #412
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Tango,

I can afford shiny, just not new..... There are only two new gauges I'll be putting in, a transmission temperature gauge and a pyrometer. All the other gauges are "reconditioned" by yours truly.... New lamps, some cleaning, some wire tracing, some of this some of that. Y'know the usual "I'm trying my best without any money" routine...... However, I have a sweet CD player I saved from my old P71 Interceptor and the new-to-me IC706 MK2G en route from PA just waiting to get here.

Plus I have a Dell OptiPlex 755 super tower (yes I know it's a dinosaur) reprogrammed to control the ham radio and a few other goodies in the bus when I get to that point. I'm kinda stealing a little bit of Justin's idea with the dash board. I'll have more steel, keep my coolant heated defroster, but I'll have some wood where I'm modifying the dash. Since I've solved the leaking issues with the front of the bus I'm keeping the left side dashboard all steel, just adding some insulation to the compartment on the other side.

So much to do, so little time.......

M

Now I have rig envy........ I may have to trade in my TS-50

'73s
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #413
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
nice lookin dash plan!!! dont forget to leave room for A/C vents so you can put dash air in. and be Cool-ridin Texas Style..

that wraparound makes it feel like #Big-Riggin!!!!!!
yeah!!!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #414
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
nice lookin dash plan!!! dont forget to leave room for A/C vents so you can put dash air in. and be Cool-ridin Texas Style..

that wraparound makes it feel like #Big-Riggin!!!!!!
yeah!!!!
-Christopher
Christopher,

Actually the A/C vents are going to be overhead. Since the engine powered and shore powered A/C units will be behind the driving area it made sense to me to put them overhead and feel the A/C cascade down much like the MCI J4500 I drive every Sunday. I really enjoy that effect. It helps me keep cool especially with all that glass in front. That will make driving this girl even more enjoyable.

Thanks for the thumbs up!

M
Old 08-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #415
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
More work done today! WoHOO!!!!!! First order of business is to figure out the A/C unit I got for free. A few small adjustments and BINGO! We now have working A/C in the bus! Widow rattler is AWESOME!!!!! The front third of the bus was actually pleasant! Inside was much cooler and considerably drier than the outside. That little unit removed a whole GALLON of water from the air today. It made working inside the bus so good! I got the windshield washer unit working by replacing the little plastic fitting connecting the inside tube to the outside tube. I'm also rebuilding the dashboard. Repositioning the gauges to more user friendly positions shouldn't take too long. I'm making a cardboard prototype to use for the final steel dash. I'm also getting wife's air-ride seat roughed in so it won't go tumbling every time I move the bus. I'm SOOO pumped with having some A/C to provide some much needed RELIEF!!!!!!! So here are the pics with more to come!

Is actually easy to make your own dash out of fiberglass by first making wooden buck. We have done that for transit conversions.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:45 PM   #416
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Now I have rig envy........ I may have to trade in my TS-50

'73s
73's back to ya! W5AD has an incredible set-up. I helped with it. Wait until I get the antenna system installed on HF. I'll be on all the frequencies! I have the system at W5AD's home just waiting for HF and the radio........

M
Old 08-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #417
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
Is actually easy to make your own dash out of fiberglass by first making wooden buck. We have done that for transit conversions.
I've never worked with fiberglass other than what I find with insulation..... It might work, but I have a slightly different plan - kind of a hybrid of Justin's dash and an idea I have. It should be interesting. I should have some initial pics this weekend......

M
Old 08-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #418
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I'm dying for even just a little tease about what you have planned for antennas on your bus. Off-the-shelf stuff, or something custom? Tilt up from the wall or roof, or telescoping?

I still think mostly in terms of VHF and UHF -- though I upgraded to extra class several years ago, another hobby (bus *ahem*) has drawn me away from the ham world. Maybe some day I'll actually get an HF rig and expand the horizons more!
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #419
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I'm dying for even just a little tease about what you have planned for antennas on your bus. Off-the-shelf stuff, or something custom? Tilt up from the wall or roof, or telescoping?

I still think mostly in terms of VHF and UHF -- though I upgraded to extra class several years ago, another hobby (bus *ahem*) has drawn me away from the ham world. Maybe some day I'll actually get an HF rig and expand the horizons more!
FW,

It's a hybrid (like most things I do) between custom and off the shelf. The antenna is from Hustler, the mounting gear is Radio Shack, the coax is RG8U, but I'm waiting for the dash to be finished so I can get more accurate measurements for all the wiring. I'm hoping to have the dash either tomorrow or Friday, same with the radio...... I'm working on my extra class, then onto several commercial licenses. Just finished up my accounting and biology classes this summer, one B+ and one A respectively..... NOT easy..... On to the extra class studies........

M
Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #420
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
cool on the overhead A/C!! in my DEV bus I did them in the dash so i could have refrigerated / Re-heated defrosters.. my redbyrd has its overhead unit in the back.. im working on Ducting part of the air up front and overhead so i stay cool.. (after all 85% of the time im the only one in the bus!).. I also like that overhead cool feeling.. kind of like when in a plane..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote