Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #421
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
cool on the overhead A/C!! (I LOVE a great pun!!!!!) in my DEV bus I did them in the dash so i could have refrigerated / Re-heated defrosters.. my redbyrd has its overhead unit in the back.. im working on Ducting part of the air up front and overhead so i stay cool.. (after all 85% of the time im the only one in the bus!).. I also like that overhead cool feeling.. kind of like when in a plane.. (That's the effect I want too)
-Christopher
Christopher,

Sorry, I couldn't help myself....

Anyways, I got confirmation the radio is on her way to Texas. SOOOOO excited!!!! I'm also working on getting this computer cleaned up for service as my new home base ham gear radio. So I'll be off-line for a day or two. But when I get back I'll have pics to enjoy!

M

Old 08-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #422
Bus Crazy

Hey all!

Well, we're still high and dry for now. Got the new dash from Blumenthal's Sheet Metal, got to the bus, started installing the gauges yesterday. Got some of the work done yesterday, had to put the rest off for today. Slept in late. Got all but two gauges rewired. Now we're worried about the runoff. So if things hold together, we'll have the dash finished, and HF running tomorrow. Time will tell...... Here are the pics from Friday and today.......

M
Attached Thumbnails
20170825_102241[1].jpg   20170826_151710[1].jpg   20170826_163013[1].jpg   20170826_192641[1].jpg   20170826_201322[1].jpg  

Old 08-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #423
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Very Groovy M! --- Pretty sweet cockpit. Now maybe Blumenthal can get started on some my stuff that's been there for months.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #424
Bus Crazy

Post Harvey,

HF never got her feet wet! She was high and dry, unlike our apartment. We're flooded out and desperately looking to get into HF a.s.a.p. at this point. Wife lost her '14 Transit Connect in the flood as well. My F350 tippie-toed around and kept up just high enough to avoid getting swamped. The Webasto drowned, VERY sad to see happen right before my eyes. The generator is toast as well. Able to save the alcohol fueled stove. All that was in the apartment where we thought they would be "safe". So, we have a storage unit in Weimar for our stuff we were able to salvage. We're down, but not out. We're making plans on how to finish the build so we can move in. Times are tough, but we'll figure out a way to get her done. The fact she didn't get wet feet is a HUGE saving grace. So we have our chins up and are thinking about our next best move.

Godspeed to everyone!

M
Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #425
Bus Nut

Good to hear your safe, stuff can be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #426
Bus Crazy

Thanks TTT,

We have loaded most of our stuff onto HF. She's MUCH happier with a load. We'll finish salvage operations on the apartment tomorrow. After that is a road trip to Weimar to unload into an air conditioned / climate controlled 10X15 storage area. Wife will be spending several months going through our stuff. Her job will be to sort, determine what we really need, what is donateable, what we're giving to friends/family, and what we need to keep for the build/living in HF full-time. I'll have my ham radio tomorrow. Pics will follow. I have some very intimidating pics of Harvey as that storm dumped 10 inches of rain in front of HF. She never flinched, just shrugged it off like nothing happened. However, trust me, the wind was intimidating. Thank God we were not moving, just sitting there as I was working on her dashboard. Oh, BTW, ALL the gauges work perfectly!!

Just a quick update.

M
Old 09-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #427
Bus Crazy

More updates,

HF is now fully unloaded. After I let my pelvis heal for a day she'll go over to Rush in Sealy for a loooooong overdue service, and pull the hog head to change gears. Chalk's will do the new gears. HF will have the coolant lines re-routed to below the floor-boards. Spray foam will come after that. Pics as internet allows unlike right now. We're living outside Sealy, Texas at a friends home motivated to get this build going a.s.a.p.

Found a 24' enclosed car carrier for wife's new Transit Connect. Tools will be in the nose of that trailer. More as time goes on.

M
Old 09-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #428
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Wow! That's sure rough getting flooded out. At least HF is dry. Gauge panel looks great. Here we only have to fear major earthquakes, wild winter winds, and NK nukes.

I better get my bus in shape just in case. Ya' never know.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #429
Bus Crazy

Well, we got HF dropped off at Rush Truck Center in Sealy, TX on Thursday after we completely unloaded her. Getting the coolant lines re-routed to under the floor boards, relocating the under-seat heater we're using for the kitchen, re-gearing the differential at Chalk's later in the week, replacing the belts, oil change, chassis lube, and then dropping her off to the Thomas dealer in Houston to get an A/C unit installed in the rear. After all that it's on to spray-foaming up by the Woodlands, then onto Ospho on the floor, finish the sub floor, and then Oak marine grade plywood and get building the interior! We're hoping to be living in her before Thanksgiving. Time will tell. It all depends upon how efficient the mechanics are at this point. Pics to follow when we get her.

I have pics of the apartment flooding as we were evacuating to a neighbor's place just above us on the second floor. I'll figure out how to upload those sometime during the week. Right now I need to shower, get my meds. and go to bed. Gotta get up at 0400 to get the kids off to school.....

M
Old 09-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #430
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
good deal!! if they are anything like the rush truck center here in columbus Ohio they will do good for you.. the parts dept who I deal with here has been superior to anyone else ive dealt with for the hard-to-get navistar parts.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #431
Bus Crazy

Thanks Christopher!

Wife went to get the super comfy office chairs we'll be using as beds until HF is built to the point where we can sleep in her at night. Rush had two guys load the chairs from HF to my pick-up as I was working this morning. Can't say enough about those guys! They're awesome!

Diff will be out tomorrow and then it's off to Chalk's for the new 4.10's!!!!! YAY!!!!! Hopefully we'll have HF back by Thursday of next week. After that step two of the Thomas A/C retro-fit begins......

Stay tuned for more!!!!

Sorry, still working on how to post pics from this computer....... It's not the website, it's this computer.......

M
Old 09-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #432
Bus Geek

A/C - as in road A/C? are you getting a decent deal on it? we could probably build you something pretty decent.. and buy take-off parts from forum members then use new lines and compressor...
-Christopher
Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #433
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
A/C - as in road A/C? are you getting a decent deal on it? we could probably build you something pretty decent.. and buy take-off parts from forum members then use new lines and compressor...
-Christopher
Yep, road A/C. You interested in building it? I don't have the luxury of time right now. Wife and I need to move in a.s.a.p........

M
Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #434
Bus Geek

got it!! I didnt realize you were going to go full time so soon in it!
-Christopher
Old 09-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #435
Bus Crazy

Yeah, Christopher, neither were we!!!! LOL

Just ordered up our new trailer to be picked up over in Georgia over Thanksgiving break! 24' with 7'6" interior, 5400 pound axles, and white. There's a passenger side entry door, note the heavy duty tie-downs! We plan on pulling it behind HF with my "garage" inside and wife's new Transit Connect. $4800! Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
29110632-544-85x24-7K-GVWR-ENCLOSED-AUTO-CAR-HAULER.jpg   29110664-048-undefined.jpg  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #436
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Nice trailer will be great to have the storage for full timing in the bus! I can't imagine towing something that long behind a large bus. Hopefully my driving confidence gets better the more miles I put on it. Best of luck to you
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #437
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Nice trailer will be great to have the storage for full timing in the bus! I can't imagine towing something that long behind a large bus. Hopefully my driving confidence gets better the more miles I put on it. Best of luck to you
I used to drive 53' semi trailers for a living with a 72" condo behind my driver's seat, so this is no big deal to me... My wife however.........

BTW, Jacob, we're looking to move just north of you to Russell, KS in the spring!

M
Old 09-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #438
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Brent, you still want those condensers and fans?
Bus is paid off now and you had dibs!

Pay shipping and they're yours.
Or pay fuel and I'll meet you 1/2 way

(Hammer on top, for size comparison)

And I know they all soon freely and come with the relays and inline fuse holders
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #439
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Brent, you still want those condensers and fans?
Bus is paid off now and you had dibs!

Pay shipping and they're yours.
Or pay fuel and I'll meet you 1/2 way

(Hammer on top, for size comparison)
LOVE to!!!!! Find out the shipping and I'll get you the $$ Any other A/C parts? Just curious......

M
Old 09-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #440
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
LOVE to!!!!! Find out the shipping and I'll get you the $$ Any other A/C parts? Just curious......

M
Not on my end.

It seems like you had a plan to tunnel a/c ductwork and needed pushers
I've still got your cell#, I'll get one out of storage and get it weighed... Then double the weight.

What's your zip?

Ps, edited my previous post