Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #441
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Not on my end.

It seems like you had a plan to tunnel a/c ductwork and needed pushers
I've still got your cell#, I'll get one out of storage and get it weighed... Then double the weight.

What's your zip?

Ps, edited my previous post

Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #442
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
I used to drive 53' semi trailers for a living with a 72" condo behind my driver's seat, so this is no big deal to me... My wife however.........

BTW, Jacob, we're looking to move just north of you to Russell, KS in the spring!

M
That's great If you need help with anything in russel let me know it's just down the road! I would really like to get a big trailer like that but I haven't run into a good deal like the one you found within a reasonable driving distance I would use my truck to move it around however. That trailer behind my bus would be a total of 65' plus
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #443
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
That's great If you need help with anything in russel let me know it's just down the road! I would really like to get a big trailer like that but I haven't run into a good deal like the one you found within a reasonable driving distance I would use my truck to move it around however. That trailer behind my bus would be a total of 65' plus
Jacob,

If you want I'll get one for you as well. Just order up the trailer, pay me for fuel, and it's yours delivered to your driveway. It'll be the springtime at the latest before we're up there, but you'll have it safe and sound without driving anywhere. I might be there over Christmas break digging for a teaching career depending upon what western Kansas is looking for.

M
Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #444
Skoolie

Thanks for the offer! I will most definitely consider it. I am looking for a used trailer for now sometimes you can find a great deal on one with some hail damage. I'm not sure what kind of teaching you do but Barton County Community college has a lot of Vo-tech type degrees and such they are always looking for teachers. The school is just north of me. My wife got her nursing degrees through Barton.

Looks like they need some folks to help with there CDL courses currently.... among other things might be worth a look.

Barton Community College | Nex-Tech Classifieds
Old 09-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #445
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks for the offer! I will most definitely consider it. I am looking for a used trailer for now sometimes you can find a great deal on one with some hail damage. I'm not sure what kind of teaching you do but Barton County Community college has a lot of Vo-tech type degrees and such they are always looking for teachers. The school is just north of me. My wife got her nursing degrees through Barton.

Looks like they need some folks to help with there CDL courses currently.... among other things might be worth a look.

Barton Community College | Nex-Tech Classifieds
I might do that part-time. I have a ME (Masters in Education) K-8. I'm looking to teach 7th/8th grade history next school year. But teaching a CDL course in the summer sounds like fun! I have Barton CC tagged now. Thanks!

M
Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #446
Bus Crazy

Just got the word this afternoon: SUCCESS!!!!!!! For $1675 I now have 4.11 rear differentials in my Eaton 22123 axle!!!!!! THANK YOU CHALK'S BUS PARTS IN HOUSTON!!!!!!!!! A BIG WOHOO!!!!! I'll have the diff over to Rush in Sealy tomorrow after my morning runs! We're now safe to cruise on the interstate system!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

M
Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #447
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Just got the word this afternoon: SUCCESS!!!!!!! For $1675 I now have 4.11 rear differentials in my Eaton 22123 axle!!!!!! THANK YOU CHALK'S BUS PARTS IN HOUSTON!!!!!!!!! A BIG WOHOO!!!!! I'll have the diff over to Rush in Sealy tomorrow after my morning runs! We're now safe to cruise on the interstate system!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

M
Very cool. Gears are important!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #448
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Very cool. Gears are important!
Yeah, I need to PM a bunch of people with these Eaton 22123 axles and let them know where to get the 4.11 gears since they are available.

M
Old 09-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #449
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I always ask what the axle ratio is when I'm bidding... When they told me 4.10 on this high headroom shorty, I knew I had to win!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #450
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Excellent M!!! Gotta love those guys at Chalk's.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #451
Bus Crazy

Well, we just won a flea-bay auction for a separation cable and mounting plate for my Icon 706 MkIIG. Cost us $190. OUCH!!!!! But to get the build to where it needs to be, gotta do what I gotta do....

HF is getting out of Rush with a bunch of needed work done. Wife and some friends are going to work on cleaning HF for spray-foaming next week. From there it's A/C time and MOVE IN!!!! We're going to build as time allows now that we have the required funds to get her done. The power bed is on order since wife is handicapped, and we can't wait to get out of the office chairs we're sleeping on and into our own bed! Hard to believe we've been washed out of our bed for almost a month now. Wife's pedal edema is concerning, but we're getting close to move in. The stress level is starting to come down as well. But it's kinda hard to reduce stress when you're sleeping in an office chair...... We'll make it through eventually, it just takes time right now....

I'll have pics Monday or Tuesday......

M
Old 09-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #452
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
rockin on the gears!!! is that a freightliner thing? I Need to Gear DOWN in my red bus... or I should anyway so i can use my 6th gear.. although i suppose shipping a 3rd member halfway across the country would get pricey!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #453
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
rockin on the gears!!! is that a freightliner thing? I Need to Gear DOWN in my red bus... or I should anyway so i can use my 6th gear.. although i suppose shipping a 3rd member halfway across the country would get pricey!
-Christopher
Christopher,

It's an Eaton thing. Chalk's does some awesome work. Shipping isn't that big a deal if you go with an LTL carrier. Old Dominion or some truck line like them should be able to do the shipping for a reasonable rate. Heck, when I was an undergrad at the University of Evansville I'd ship my old motorcycle all over the US using LTL carriers while I flew. I had a bunk bed that doubled as a freight box so I could have my bed and bike shipped. Ah the good old days......

M
Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #454
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
great idea on LTL! i have a friend in the trucking / brokering business.. he probably knows of a good LTL!.

im sure i could just order a set of gears and set them up myself.. i regeared more than one GM 10 bolt over the years... it was just never my favorite thing to do.

finding good mechanical machine shops these days is getting tougher and tougher.. -reality is more and more machinery is being made to throw away rather than repair.

I look at all these busses down here at this rally and am like "wow!" everything was made repairable.. the guys here talk about these old greyhound busses being built such that they were built with the drivetrain on an easily removeable cradle.. if a major drivetrain failure was imminent or occured.. the bus went to repairs, where the cradle was swapped in often less than a day...

everything has bolts!.. no sealed this.. or welded-shut gear boxes etc...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #455
Bus Crazy

Christopher,

Kinda reminds me of a song.......

Should get HF back this afternoon. Stopped by Rush and got the last details finished with them this morning......

M
Old 09-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #456
Bus Crazy

JUST got her back this evening. I'm $4K poorer, but WOW what an IMPROVEMENT!!!!!!! HF goes 72 mph at 2500 rpm!!!!!! The first time I did that I about FREAKED OUT!!!!! She LOVES going about 68 mph. That sets her at 2350 rpm, 193* on the coolant, 155* on the oil, and she's just a DREAM cruising at that velocity. She has sooooooo much torque at 68 mph it's almost scary. The trailer will pull with ease behind her. The service including the differential was $1700. However, re-routing the coolant lines was $2200. Rush went first class with all the fittings and the work is really top notch. If there ever is an issue with the coolant lines they are easily accessible and easy to service. I'm most impressed. I'd rather have issues below the steel floor instead of inside the subfloor. THAT would be a royal nightmare. Pics to follow.

We now are getting ready for spray foam. We have the rear blank to properly secure, the bus to clean, then off to spray foam. More to follow.

BTW, Tango, be ready for a bunch of people looking at your Chevy and chins dropping if HF is ANY indication.......

M
Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #457
Skoolie

Quote:
JUST got her back this evening. I'm $4K poorer, but WOW what an IMPROVEMENT!!!!!!! HF goes 72 mph at 2500 rpm!!!!!! The first time I did that I about FREAKED OUT!!!!! She LOVES going about 68 mph. That sets her at 2350 rpm, 193* on the coolant, 155* on the oil, and she's just a DREAM cruising at that velocity. She has sooooooo much torque at 68 mph it's almost scary. The trailer will pull with ease behind her. The service including the differential was $1700. However, re-routing the coolant lines was $2200. Rush went first class with all the fittings and the work is really top notch. If there ever is an issue with the coolant lines they are easily accessible and easy to service. I'm most impressed. I'd rather have issues below the steel floor instead of inside the subfloor. THAT would be a royal nightmare. Pics to follow.

We now are getting ready for spray foam. We have the rear blank to properly secure, the bus to clean, then off to spray foam. More to follow.

BTW, Tango, be ready for a bunch of people looking at your Chevy and chins dropping if HF is ANY indication.......

M
That's great news glad your happy with the results. I am very interested in how they ran your new lines, fittings they used etc. I think I will be going down the same route.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #458
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
What size tires are running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #459
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol View Post
What size tires are running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Standard 11R 22.5 Dayton all-position tires.

I PM'ed you on some details.....

M
Old 09-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #460
Bus Crazy

Quote:
That's great news glad your happy with the results. I am very interested in how they ran your new lines, fittings they used etc. I think I will be going down the same route.
I'll have some pics in the next few days. Right now I'm planning a trip to Topeka tomorrow evening to get my teacher license application jump-started on Friday. I'm hoping to have my Kansas license by Thanksgiving.....

M