Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #481
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just outstanding M!!! All it will need on the outside is a big "Igloo" logo.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #482
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Just outstanding M!!! All it will need on the outside is a big "Igloo" logo.
Ah Tango.....

There's always a comedian in the crowd somewhere...... LOL

M

P.S. Wifie says it's usually me.......
Old 10-13-2017, 04:17 AM   #483
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post

Rusty,

I'm using 1/8th inch birch wood to cover the second layer of insulation, not as a structural part of the bus. The 2X4s behind the birch will provide the anchor points. I have wiring and plumbing to run before then. I'm SOOOOO pumped about this!!!!!!

M
I agree, sprayfoam is the only way to go. It will be i the next house I build.

I'm aware the 1/8" isn't structural at all, until it is. 1/8" is super thin, will want to get wavy on you. 1/4" isn't much more cash and you can actually hang a picture on it !

My bus (bookmobile) was originally paneled with 1/2" maple ply, but that was more than we need, but good for books.

You can pop a hole accidentally in 1/8" pretty easy. Just don't want to see you save $50, only to not be thrilled with the thinner sheets.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #484
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I have to concur on this one. 1/8 is woefully thin and really can't support anything. At least with quarter inch or 5/16, you would have something that could handle attaching a paper towel holder or some such without having to find a stud.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #485
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I have to concur on this one. 1/8 is woefully thin and really can't support anything. At least with quarter inch or 5/16, you would have something that could handle attaching a paper towel holder or some such without having to find a stud.
Actually guys, the birch wood will be covered over by other stuff. We're planning on other wall materials such as oak and other hard woods to anchor to the 2X4s. The birch wood is only to secure the inner insulation and provide the final thermal break. I'm most concerned about the curvature of the roof and the birch wood will bend without breaking. Then when it comes time to fasten the hard woods, I'm set with not having to fight the insulation AND get the correct curvature with the wood. I could care less if the birch wood gets a crack or puncture in it, no one is going to see it, it's just holding the insulation so I can work on other aspects of the interior. I'm planning on marking the 2X4 studs on the inside of the birch wood so I know where to attach walls, anchor points, certain parts of the hardwoods, etc. The hard woods are for attaching pictures, decorating, and so on. That's the plan. Am I missing anything? Always open to hear from you guys!

M
Old 10-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #486
Almost There

I'm not sure why you want the perf in there if it is just going to get covered with more insulation and wood.

I would check to see if your spray foam and foam board insulation are compatible with Hilti spray foam. If they are, you could just butter the back of your foam board with the Hilti foam, stick it to the spray foam and rely on your interior finish to tie it all together.

Speaking of Hilti spray foam, that stuff is awesome. After using it, I wouldn't waste a bullet shooting a can of "Great Stuff" or whatever it is they sell at crappy home improvement stores. It's really a night and day difference, the Hilti expands much more predictably and dries pretty fast even in thick sections. The other crap sometimes never dries if it's more that 1" thick. Foam that doesn't dry is a huge mess so don't take chances.
Drop out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #487
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Looked like a lot of foam for the DIY bottles, I am looking forward to meeting you and checking out your bus when you get settled in, I could come give you a hand if you need one as well. Best of luck and drive safe sometimes it's slick around here in December!
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #488
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop out View Post

Speaking of Hilti spray foam, that stuff is awesome. After using it, I wouldn't waste a bullet shooting a can of "Great Stuff" or whatever it is they sell at crappy home improvement stores. It's really a night and day difference, the Hilti expands much more predictably and dries pretty fast even in thick sections. The other crap sometimes never dries if it's more that 1" thick. Foam that doesn't dry is a huge mess so don't take chances.
Thank you for this tip- I do need to fill a few voids in my sprayfoam when done and will look for that brand.

I'd be willing to pay for the bullet if you video yourself shooting a can of spray foam.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #489
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'm not sure why you want the perf in there if it is just going to get covered with more insulation and wood.

I would check to see if your spray foam and foam board insulation are compatible with Hilti spray foam. If they are, you could just butter the back of your foam board with the Hilti foam, stick it to the spray foam and rely on your interior finish to tie it all together.

I've never heard of Hilti foam. I'll definitely look into that since I have yet to cross that part of the build, but getting close! I still need to close the first two inches with steel for structural integrity reasons. But I'm VERY intrigued by what you've said about the Hilti foam. Thanks for the tip!

M
Old 10-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #490
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Looked like a lot of foam for the DIY bottles, I am looking forward to meeting you and checking out your bus when you get settled in, I could come give you a hand if you need one as well. Best of luck and drive safe sometimes it's slick around here in December!
Jacob,

I learned to drive in northern Maine on a go-cart without any brakes. I also drove a snowmobile to school when the roads were choked with snow (sometimes three feet of the stuff). Thanks for the heads-up though!

BTW, since my wife is handicapped, I sure can use any help you have to offer. We'll provide the food and warm beverages (in the winter)........

Those DIY bottles couldn't hold a candle to what these guys did. The prep work took almost 3 & 1/2 hours alone..... They did stuff I never would have thought about. That's why some of these jobs I out-source. It's impossible to think of all the different details required to make a project like this happen.....

M
Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #491
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
I've never heard of Hilti foam. I'll definitely look into that since I have yet to cross that part of the build, but getting close! I still need to close the first two inches with steel for structural integrity reasons. But I'm VERY intrigued by what you've said about the Hilti foam. Thanks for the tip!

M
Me neither. They make fine products.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 9.05.22 AM.png
Views:	7
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	16508

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 9.05.04 AM.png
Views:	8
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	16509
Old 10-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #492
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Me neither. They make fine products.

Attachment 16508

Attachment 16509
Hey! Those are the guys that manufacture the forklifts and other heavy machinery! Way to go Rusty! Thanks!!!!! Expensive, but still within my budget.....

M
Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #493
Almost There

Probably skip that deluxe dispenser, the cheapo is fine and it will get clogged if you let it sit too long so prepare every spot you need foam before you start foaming and then knock them out all in one shot.

I am not sure but I think that three pack of foam probably comes with three of the disposable dispensers. They work fine and I wouldn't want to ruin a $95 dispenser letting it get clogged with hardened foam.
Drop out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #494
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Probably skip that deluxe dispenser, the cheapo is fine and it will get clogged if you let it sit too long so prepare every spot you need foam before you start foaming and then knock them out all in one shot.

I am not sure but I think that three pack of foam probably comes with three of the disposable dispensers. They work fine and I wouldn't want to ruin a $95 dispenser letting it get clogged with hardened foam.
Thanks for the heads up Drop out! That's a great money saving idea!

More as time goes on!

M
Old 10-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #495
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so this stuff wont react with metals or detiorate as fast as 'great stuff'.. I used 'great stuff' a year ago on a couple places in my DEV bus and its already coming out in pieces..
-CHristopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 PM   #496
Bus Crazy

From what I've been told the foam I now have is a different compound than "Great Stuff", so I should be good. It looks different, and it feels different. Sorry about the DEV bus and the "Great Stuff" failure.... That is what I was hoping to avoid, thus the out-sourcing...

M
Old 10-15-2017, 03:24 AM   #497
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Well I didn't great stuff a whole bus just some few spots, I know the outsource product you used is differebt, I saw a couple posts back another portable DIY that someone mentioned, that's the one I'm interested to know if it's an alternative to great stuff for small spots. If I ever did a whole bus I would outsource for sure.
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:33 AM   #498
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Well I didn't great stuff a whole bus just some few spots, I know the outsource product you used is differebt, I saw a couple posts back another portable DIY that someone mentioned, that's the one I'm interested to know if it's an alternative to great stuff for small spots. If I ever did a whole bus I would outsource for sure.
Christopher
Apologies for the hijack, CUCV. Seems your build has turned-into a foam discussion.

Last one, I promise ! This guy has neat gizmo:

Old 10-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #499
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Here's a good video for anyone who doesn't want to have to shave the wall down afterwards and to also avoid waste. This is the stuff I used and I'm real happy with it. It's a closed cell foam which is what you'd want to use because open cell foam is like a sponge and will absorb and hold water...Great Stuff is open cell, so that's a no no if you want to use it for filling gaps and cracks. For filling the gaps and cracks that I had found later on where I missed, I used cans of tite-foam by Loctite...it's closed cell. I love this stuff. And by experience, HD also sells a can of spray foam called OSI quad. I tried it and it doesn't spray uniformly and it leaves large air bubbles/pockets after curing. I did a test piece on cardboard and was shocked and so happy I didn't just go with it before testing.
Just my 2cents
https://youtu.be/0F4ZqadDP6Q

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #500
Bus Crazy

Hey guys,

I don't consider the spray foam discussion a hijack of my thread at all. If this helps anyone reading this thread avoid any mistakes or pitfalls in their build, then I consider our discussion well worth the past few pages! It's also given me a few new ideas into how I'm looking to complete my insulation and be sure the thermal break that is needed works according to theory (I love it when theory and reality meet and are content with each other).

M