Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #521
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Hitch installed, they are expecting the trailer to be ready for pickup early next week

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #522
Skoolie

Sorry forgot photo
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2935.jpg  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #523
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Hey all! I have a few minutes to make a super-quick update from a friend's computer.

I went to Georgia to get the enclosed car carrier to haul my wife's van and a bunch of my tools to Kansas. No more than hooked up to the trailer and my F-350 started to give me problems. New fuel filters, new #2 injector, new hoses and tubes, and $1400 poorer, I made it back to Texas last night. I discovered Wednesday night I now have a faulty sensor in the turbo line throwing me a PO299 code. Thanks to Jacob (Kudos man!!!!) I called the dealership where I got the work done yesterday morning and we went step-by-step as to why the code would show up. Both of us figured out where the issue is. Once to Kansas, I'll get a replacement sensor. Not enough time right now.

The trailer will be on the back of HF for the trip to Kansas. It's a 24' beauty! What's so interesting to me is the L.E.D. turn signals don't throw off my traditional turn signals (y'know, making the turn signals flash faster....). I'm hoping for the same results with HF. If it happens that way, I'm getting some L.E.D. turn signals for the side of HF to let others know I AM turning......

Anyways, we're figuring out all our logistical issues and making plans/reservations to be in Russell by this time next week - preferably sooner....

I'll have plenty of pics to share (have a bunch already but no way to upload them on this computer).

I'm looking at three days of packing stuff and getting ready to go!

Talk to everyone soon!

Jacob - A BIG THANKS for all your help with the Georgia trip!!!! You helped me think clearly when I was worn-out tired! (Dyslexia kicks my butt when I'm worn out) I'm really looking forward to seeing you!

M
Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #524
Bus Crazy

Now on the south side of the I 35 split. We didn't get going until almost twilight last night. The F350 with the M1031 on the car carrier isn't very stable above 50 mph. I'm actually holding HF BACK so wife can keep up with HF. Most of last night HF was turning 2300 rpms in third gear. Once we were out of hill country, we got back up to 50 and in fourth gear. HF has TORQUE out the wazoo! If the F350 could keep up we'd be in Kansas right now.

See y'all up there!

M
Old 11-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #525
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Congrats to be on the road!!!! take it slow!! its about the journey and arriving at your destination intact!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #526
Bus Crazy

Hello everyone from Hays, Kansas!

We made it. The car carrier on my F-350 was the factor in slowing us down. The coolant leaks weren't too bad. I was able to keep up with the fluid loss. Once the Cat engine was warmed up, no issues with leaks.

The cheap Chinese tires on the enclosed car carrier on HF held up, for the most part. One tire did need replacing. I have pics, but I'm at Fort Hays State University on their public computers without the stick I need in order to post pics.

We have a house rented in Russell! There's more than enough room for HF, my M1031, Wife's Transit Connect, and my F-350. The house is a 2 bed, 1 bath house with 1 & 1/2 acre lot, $450/month! We're working on getting electrical and internet working to day so I'll be back on line (hopefully) tomorrow!!! YAY!!!!

I have a host of pics to post. HF handled the trip with ease and PLENTY of power left over. I believe the hottest the exhaust got was 1100* for about 20 seconds going up some of the hills in Texas. Once we were in Kansas the pyro never got beyond 850*, mostly staying at 650*. In the flats HF mostly idled. With the last leg of the trip averaging 14.3 m.p.g. the fuel receipts proved that out.

Next up is signing the teaching contract and waiting for the new year to begin my career as a high school teacher! I'm soooooo PUMPED!!!

More after we get connected tomorrow!!!!

M
Old 11-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #527
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Congrats M! Glad to hear the trip was uneventful and you found some bus parking/work space. Can't wait to see the pix bud.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #528
Bus Geek

Congrats M!!! too bad i didnt make it to houston before ya left for a visit!, but hey this just gives me a reason for a skoolie ride to kansas to sey hey!!!

and a +1 for the Cat engine!.. take that cat haters yours is rockin and rollin!!!!
-Christopher
Old 11-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #529
Bus Crazy

Tango/Christopher,

Thanks lots guys! Tango, gonna miss you lots! But, hey, now you have incentive to get that Chevy on the road to come up here for a visit huh???? Christopher, you have no idea how thankful I am that we got this Cat engine! She's a strong runner! Once the coolant leaks are taken care of, she'll last a lifetime! No more mods required...... Any time ya want to come out get motoring this way! We have a bedroom for our guests! Plus anything to show off HF... Right?!?!?!?!

We will be on-line sometime Monday or Tuesday. The landlord is cleaning the house right now. They won't be finished until Monday afternoon. So, this weekend is all about some much needed R&R. I'll see Jacob in about two hours or so. He's helping his folks with a Corvette dashboard right now.

I'll be teaching Social Studies at the high school. SOOOOO pumped! They are working on the details about exactly when my contract begins. Wife and I are stunned about how affordable this whole thing is becoming. Our living expenses are 1/3rd of what they were in Houston! We'll be able to save up enough to buy our own place in about a year or so. We already have a property we'd love to own. We just have to wait right now.

Just to give you guys an idea about the culture shock we're going through right now - it's 84* outside right now, but with the humidity being 28%, it feels more like it's about 72*. VERY comfortable! If I already had my shop, I'd be turning wrenches on HF right now.....

So, I'm on Fort Hays State University's computer system. Thusly, I can't really download/upload pictures. However, once I'm on-line at home that will change. So many pics to share!

Can't wait to get going on HF either!

Talk to y'all later!

M
Old 11-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #530
Bus Geek

Just one question M...do you have a storm cellar? Don't want you guys disappearing into Toto Land.

That said, it might be fun to re-do the driveway with yellow bricks?!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:47 AM   #531
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Just one question M...do you have a storm cellar? Don't want you guys disappearing into Toto Land.

That said, it might be fun to re-do the driveway with yellow bricks?!
Tango,

Considering Katy, TX has twice the chance of getting hit by tornadoes than Russell, KS, the house we rented does not have a tornado shelter. However, the home we are looking to buy does have a heavy duty storm shelter in the basement. As far as the, um, "yellow brick" is concerned..... The driveway of the home we want to buy is just dirt.....

I'll have pics tomorrow after I get HF unloaded to a point where we are able to get our stuff sorted and remember what we have.........

M
Old 11-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #532
Bus Geek

Excellent! Can't wait to see some pix. And best of luck finding the right home for Heavy.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #533
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Excellent! Can't wait to see some pix. And best of luck finding the right home for Heavy.
Tango,

HF is literally parked next to our kitchen window.... Makes it easy to keep an eye on her. The house has a 2 acre lot, so there's plenty of parking for all our vehicles. I'll be looking for the connector cord to connect my stupid "smart" phone to the computer to download the pics I have to share.

More later guys!

M
Old 11-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #534
Bus Geek

tapatalk.. no connector needed..
Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #535
Bus Crazy

Christopher,

Out here my stupid "smart" phone is going absolutely nuts. When I attempt to attach any picture to a text, the phone shuts down.... So I'm left with .

Thanks for the help though.....

M
Old 11-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #536
Skoolie

Glad you got moved into the new place sounds like plenty of room to get lots of work done, (jealous). Verizon is the only cell phone carrier I have found that works reliably in rural Kansas, it has been awhile since I tried anything else though.when attaching photos I just use this sight. They are often tilted 90 degrees but it works. I have never actually been on skoolie.net from a computer.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #537
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Glad you got moved into the new place sounds like plenty of room to get lots of work done, (jealous). Verizon is the only cell phone carrier I have found that works reliably in rural Kansas, it has been awhile since I tried anything else though.when attaching photos I just use this sight. They are often tilted 90 degrees but it works. I have never actually been on skoolie.net from a computer.
Jacob,

You'll just have to stop by and see the difference between your phone and my computer. It's a big difference! You're welcome anytime!

We had four shop students from the high school help us unpack HF. Took all of us about 2 hours in all. Well worth the money we spend on those guys! They are very intelligent as well. They figured out in about 10 minutes why my wife and I are here. They are looking forward to me becoming their next Social Studies teacher..

M
Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #538
Bus Crazy

I CAN'T believe this!!!!! My stupid "smart" phone crashed. I can't download the pics I took on the trip. I'm going to have to get creative somehow. UUUGGGHHHH this LG phone is a piece of JUNK!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! I was going to share the pics now that I found the connection cable, but nnnnoooooooo........ Sorry folks. My deepest regrets. From now on I'll be using my wife's phone until we can afford to get a better stupid "smart" phone with just a camera and basic stuff.

Let's hear it for "high" tech:
Attached Thumbnails
serveimage28VEN52D.jpg  
Old 11-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #539
Bus Geek

thats. why you Back up all tech... I keep onsite and offsitew backups. of all my computers, phone, etc.. all it takes is done teeny little memory cell to corrupt and cause the data to be un-retrievable...
-Christopher
Old 11-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #540
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
thats. why you Back up all tech... I keep onsite and offsitew backups. of all my computers, phone, etc.. all it takes is done teeny little memory cell to corrupt and cause the data to be un-retrievable...
-Christopher
I hear ya Christopher! However, it's kinda hard when you're moving and trying to get a home started. Not trying to make excuses, just hard to do....

M