Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2017, 05:55 PM   #541
Bus Nut

With my smart phone all my pictures are saved to a SD card. If I have to I can always remove it to transfer files.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #542
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
With my smart phone all my pictures are saved to a SD card. If I have to I can always remove it to transfer files.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
When my son comes up during Christmas break, I'll see if he can help me with that idea.

Thanks TTT!!!

M
Old 11-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #543
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
It was great meeting you last weekend at Jacobs house!!
Old 11-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #544
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
backing up tech is tough for EVERYONE!.. trust me.. its one of the hardest things i deal with on a daily basis with my clopud services.. ( im one of the behind-the-scenes that **IS** the "cloud").. so I have to make sure all data is solid and safe as people are assuming that everything is perfect in the "cloud".. some devices make it tough to back up also.. or make the backup essentially useless to restore unless you obtain an exact like-device.. back-up your iPhone to i-cloud.. then have it die and you buy an android.. yeah your data is safe in iCloud.. but "thats only for apple devices"....
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #545
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
backing up tech is tough for EVERYONE!.. trust me.. its one of the hardest things i deal with on a daily basis with my clopud services.. ( im one of the behind-the-scenes that **IS** the "cloud").. so I have to make sure all data is solid and safe as people are assuming that everything is perfect in the "cloud".. some devices make it tough to back up also.. or make the backup essentially useless to restore unless you obtain an exact like-device.. back-up your iPhone to i-cloud.. then have it die and you buy an android.. yeah your data is safe in iCloud.. but "thats only for apple devices"....
-Christopher
Thanks Christopher!

I had to restore the factory settings yesterday... Oh well. I'm going to do some experimenting to see what my best results are with this stupid "smart" phone.

So frustrating when I lose pics on a serious road trip with some good shots I wanted to share. Lesson learned the hard way.

M
Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #546
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
It was great meeting you last weekend at Jacobs house!!
MuddaEarth,

Yes it was! I've got my youtube channel established. Now I'm figuring out how to post, er, make videos of the bus to post...... I may be great at turning wrenches, wiring, OBD II systems, et. al., but learning how this youtube stuff works is a new endeavor......

M
Old 12-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #547
Bus Crazy

Well folks, more tasks are completed!

First, I now have an electric controller for the trailer. No more full-on braking with the trailer's electric brakes (YAY!!!!). I'll be adjusting the electric brakes tomorrow. Ran out of sunlight and energy...

Second, I now have left-turn and right-turn nightlights to lighten up my turns in dark areas! WoHOO!!!! Now I'm looking for a red light to fit in the dash to compliment my green light so I can have Port and Starboard warning lights. I had to wire them up separately from the turn signals due to a grounding issue I suspect I inflicted upon myself..... Remember, my forte is turning wrenches, not electrical .... So I'm all open as to how to properly wire up the se lights to the turn signals so they turn on when I turn on the signals. At least most of the wiring is now done......

Tomorrow is slated to finish wiring the lights in the dash for the pyrometer and the transmission temperature gauge. The grounds are done, just need one connector to finish the hot side.

After that it's onto putting all my 4X8 pieces of wood and insulation into the trailer so I can finish the insulation process and begin wiring for the appliances.... Jeesh, this is hard work!

Enjoy the pics!

M
Attached Thumbnails
20171202_172727.jpg   20171202_172835.jpg   20171202_172905.jpg   20171202_172931.jpg  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #548
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Nice brake controller! That should make a big difference! Forgive me if you've already done a write up, but what hitch are you using? And how heavy is your trailer?

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #549
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Nice brake controller! That should make a big difference! Forgive me if you've already done a write up, but what hitch are you using? And how heavy is your trailer?
David,

2 &5/16 inch hitch for a trailer grossing 10800 pounds. I won't even come close to that weight with what we're carrying....

M
Old 12-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #550
Bus Crazy

Got more dashboard lighting done this evening. Stupid "smart" phone hates dark pictures.... However, y'all can see there's a big difference in the dashboard lights..... LOVE a good pun......

Trying to figure out which wire should go where is rather time consuming. However, I like the end results. I can see when I have my left turn signal or right turn signal on at night now. In addition, having the steps eluminated at night makes getting on and off the bus soooooo much safe and easier! I've got the red (port) light connected to the left turn signal, the green (starboard) light connected to the right, both by the air-powered door. Then I have the green light in the middle of the instrument cluster connected with the step lights. I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow to find something to plug the holes where the ineffective dash lights were located (those big eyesores in the middle of the cluster)...

So here are the night pics from my work today...... Enjoy!

M
Attached Thumbnails
20171210_193706.jpg   20171210_193803.jpg   20171210_193814.jpg   20171210_193822.jpg  
Old 12-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #551
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Can you see Paradise by them?

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #552
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Not yet, but working on it.......

M
Old 12-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #553
Bus Crazy

More work done today, more on tap for tomorrow...

Got some covers for the dash holes from AutoZone. One chrome one and one rubber. The chrome one fits perfectly, the rubber one needs a little bit of help.... More on that tomorrow. I also drilled the holes needed to mount wife's air-ride seat when the time comes.....

Cut three new pieces of insulation for the subfloor. THAT is a royal PITA.... Measure, cut, try, , cut, re-try, , cut - curse, re-try, curse AGAIN, cut, retry - success .... Three pieces in three hours..... .... Ah the life of a skoolie builder.....

But I did manage to get the heater/defroster system put back together. I need to finish some metal work by the coolant pipes, but it's mostly done! YAY - a small victory is better than none.....

So here are some pics for all to enjoy since y'all seem to be picture junkies.....

M

P.S. - Jacob is going to be here Friday morning at 0730 to help me remove the leaking radiator and get it properly fixed!!!! YAY!!!!

Thanks Jacob, ANYTIME you want help with your Thomas, let me know. I have bunches of tools ready to travel!

M
Attached Thumbnails
20171212_171332.jpg   20171212_171344.jpg   20171212_171358.jpg   20171212_171420.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #554
Bus Crazy

More work!

BIG thanks to Jacob for helping remove the radiator!!!!

We had breakfast @ 0730, got working @0800 in 17* weather. Had to take several warm-up breaks before the temperatures warmed up to where we could work consistently.

The radiator is HEAVY, just like HF.... Brass & copper weigh! But with a little thinking and some effort, we managed to get the radiator out before 1200.

Dropped the radiator off at Best Radiator in Hays. They said they'll have it ready early next week.

Excited to get this repair done properly and tackle the next leak at the O-ring on the engine at the block. THAT project will be expen$$$$ive.....

Enjoy the pics!

M
Attached Thumbnails
20171215_164203.jpg   20171215_164210.jpg   20171215_164220.jpg   20171215_164228.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #555
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Good work! I bet you are glad that is finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #556
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
More work done today, more on tap for tomorrow...

Got some covers for the dash holes from AutoZone. One chrome one and one rubber. The chrome one fits perfectly, the rubber one needs a little bit of help.... More on that tomorrow. I also drilled the holes needed to mount wife's air-ride seat when the time comes.....

Cut three new pieces of insulation for the subfloor. THAT is a royal PITA.... Measure, cut, try, , cut, re-try, , cut - curse, re-try, curse AGAIN, cut, retry - success .... Three pieces in three hours..... .... Ah the life of a skoolie builder.....

But I did manage to get the heater/defroster system put back together. I need to finish some metal work by the coolant pipes, but it's mostly done! YAY - a small victory is better than none.....

So here are some pics for all to enjoy since y'all seem to be picture junkies.....

M

P.S. - Jacob is going to be here Friday morning at 0730 to help me remove the leaking radiator and get it properly fixed!!!! YAY!!!!

Thanks Jacob, ANYTIME you want help with your Thomas, let me know. I have bunches of tools ready to travel!

M
did you add Dashboard A/C to that? nostalgia - it has the 4 vents across the dash that Navistar used in our old Scouts...

you are gettin this thing together rockin N rollin!!

-Christopher
Old 12-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #557
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
More work!

BIG thanks to Jacob for helping remove the radiator!!!!

We had breakfast @ 0730, got working @0800 in 17* weather. Had to take several warm-up breaks before the temperatures warmed up to where we could work consistently.

The radiator is HEAVY, just like HF.... Brass & copper weigh! But with a little thinking and some effort, we managed to get the radiator out before 1200.

Dropped the radiator off at Best Radiator in Hays. They said they'll have it ready early next week.

Excited to get this repair done properly and tackle the next leak at the O-ring on the engine at the block. THAT project will be expen$$$$ive.....

Enjoy the pics!

M
while you get everything in pieces clean up / do a good inspection of that fan clutch.. you may not be in Houstomn anymore but it still gets hot in summer in KS.. , a cool kitty is a purring kitty

-Christopher
Old 12-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #558
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
How did i manage to miss commenting on THIS statement? Just the Best Meatloaf song EVAAHHH!!! Awesome reference TWIGG
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #559
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Good work! I bet you are glad that is finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's only HALF finished right now.... LOL... I'm still waiting for Best Radiator to repair my radiator.....

Getting up at 0400 tomorrow a.m. Going to OK to help Twigg with his bus. Five hour trip one way. May as well make it a good one!

M
Old 12-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #560
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
while you get everything in pieces clean up / do a good inspection of that fan clutch.. you may not be in Houstomn anymore but it still gets hot in summer in KS.. , a cool kitty is a purring kitty

-Christopher
Yep, going to be sure the clutch is functioning properly. An initial inspection seems to confirm it's fairly new.

Got heat AND lighting installed in the trailer today! Next step is to insulate the trailer. I'll probably get that done next week or so when my son is here. It's good to open the side door of the trailer and be greeted by a warm draft, close the door and feel toasty inside the trailer. Plenty of light makes working inside the trailer easy and I actually lost track of time.. Oops.....

I was getting frustrated stumbling all over my work area in the bus. So I've now got a good work area in the trailer so I can have some elbow room. This will make finishing the sub-floor much easier. I'll also be able to co-ordinate my supplies better and not double-purchase stuff.

Well, 0400 comes before the sun does.....

M