Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #561
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
It sure looks like you are doing a great job maintaining your rig. It is super important for the newbies to see what owning a bus is really about- not which curtains or what flooring used, but what it takes to remove a radiator and have repaired.

It needs to be crystal-clear for newbies reading this that unless prospective bus buyers have access to skills and tools, they better have deep pockets. It's a lot of work to keep an old and complex vehicle in working order.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the pictures. Glad you got settled-in and are back to working on your beastie.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #562
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
It sure looks like you are doing a great job maintaining your rig. It is super important for the newbies to see what owning a bus is really about- not which curtains or what flooring used, but what it takes to remove a radiator and have repaired.

It needs to be crystal-clear for newbies reading this that unless prospective bus buyers have access to skills and tools, they better have deep pockets. It's a lot of work to keep an old and complex vehicle in working order.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the pictures. Glad you got settled-in and are back to working on your beastie.
Agreed!
It always amazes me that folks buy used buses and spend big bucks converting them without doing any mechanical work. Folks seem shocked when they have to spend a few grand fixing something, but that's part of owning a bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:33 PM   #563
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Well, I'm a lot like Jesse James, I can't afford to pay someone, so I gotta learn how to do it myself. Maybe that's why I became an ASE certified (back in the '90's) Master Diesel Mechanic. Now for a proper shop to call my own.......

M
Old 12-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #564
Bus Crazy

Remember how I said I can't afford to pay someone? Well......

As I was driving my wife's van to Houston to get my son for Christmas Break here in Kansas.... I got a phone call from Best Radiator.....

The lady was very kind and understanding......

She told me it would be best for me to pull over to the side of the road so we could talk.......

*Ug*

It is going to cost me $980 to get my radiator from them. They repaired every last crack and there were three major cracks in the cores along with both gaskets being completely rotten, one on each side.

So, this is why I can't wait to get my own shop and do the work myself. I've fixed radiators before, but right now I don't have my shop, and OUCHIE this hurts...

M

P.S. - Wifie is not happy either.....
Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #565
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post

As I was driving my wife's van to Houston to get my son for Christmas Break here in Kansas.... I got a phone call from Best Radiator.....

She told me it would be best for me to pull over to the side of the road so we could talk.......

*Ug*

It is going to cost me $980 to get my radiator from them. They repaired every last crack and there were three major cracks in the cores along with both gaskets being completely rotten, one on each side.

So, this is why I can't wait to get my own shop and do the work myself. I've fixed radiators before, but right now I don't have my shop, and OUCHIE this hurts...

M

I feel ya, it sucks.
I see your radiator and raise you one front engine cover!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:57 PM   #566
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:

*Ug*

M

Well that sucks ... How much would a new one have been?

I haven't even looked at my radiator yet ... so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #567
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
those RE's must have expensive rads in them... I know for my conventional i can get a modine radiator for like 650 new.... everything RE is definitelty bigger and beefier though..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #568
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Quote:

*Ug*

M

Ouch it didn’t even look bad other than the seals my radiator looks worse at a glance, better start bracing for that...
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #569
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Ouch it didn’t even look bad other than the seals my radiator looks worse at a glance, better start bracing for that...
Yeah, I was really surprised at the amount. I was figuring anywhere from $300 to $500 max. It was a shocker alright!

M
Old 12-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #570
Bus Crazy

When our church purchased the Crown from the Toppenish School District we were able to not only get all of the paperwork but the original invoices for some of the major components that were replaced in the five or so years before we purchased the bus.

One of the receipts was for a new radiator. IIRC the cost to the school district was $3,600.00 and change. I suppose when you have a radiator that is about 6' wide, 2.5' tall, and about 8" thick it isn't going to be cheap to replace.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #571
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
When our church purchased the Crown from the Toppenish School District we were able to not only get all of the paperwork but the original invoices for some of the major components that were replaced in the five or so years before we purchased the bus.

One of the receipts was for a new radiator. IIRC the cost to the school district was $3,600.00 and change. I suppose when you have a radiator that is about 6' wide, 2.5' tall, and about 8" thick it isn't going to be cheap to replace.
Yep, and that's about what a new one would cost me. So for $980, I'm NOT complaining (as badly).....

Funds will be available next week. Weather is a different story though......

M
Old 12-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #572
Bus Crazy

Hey all,

I'll have some pics after things thaw out and kinda warm up.

My son was here for Christmas. THAT was my special Christmas gift. It was nine years since he's seen snow. Houston got dumped on, then we had snow here just after Christmas. He learned there are many different types of snow. It was really entertaining to see him experience that.

Houston got the heavy "wet" snow. We got powder. He had FUN with the powder. He was playing "Paintball Maneuvers" in the powder, just slippin' and slidin' all over the place and having a blast. Well, he had fun until the powder started to melt on his clothes and sneakers....... THEN he got wet and cold.... Retreat into the house to get warmed up. He said many times how he loves the cold and snow OUTSIDE rather than inside.... Later we got some supplies moved from the bus to the trailer so I can get going on insulating the trailer and finish the sub-floor of the bus.

This was the best Christmas gift I've had in a while. We got up at about 1000 hours, had some breakfast, played video games with each other online, got some window insulation done on the house we're renting, played Monopoly, had dinner, and talked about what's coming up for the spring break and summer break.

He's really becoming his own man. He still has plenty of "kid" in him, but he's more mature and poised than I was at his age. We're looking at starting a paintball business together if things work out right. He is already making college plans, and he's not a junior in high school yet. His focus on his grades has changed for the better.

I couldn't be prouder or happier.

Once I get the radiator on Tuesday I'll be getting plans together to re-install it. This time I'm planning on taking more pics to help those who may have a similar issue. I'm always open to questions and comments, so I'll be looking forward (especially to those who are new to this insanity) to talking with y'all!

I hope y'all had a great Christmas Break as well.

I promise, pics will be coming soon!!!!

M
Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #573
Bus Crazy

Got the radiator yesterday afternoon! Had to post $980 bail..... However, it's really clean! The pic shows it all repaired and ready to be installed. Sooooo excited!!!! No if we can only get some decent temperatures to work with....

Also found out there are teaching jobs that start in the fall, not right now..... So, I'm starting my research on an oil field driving position today as a temporary fill until I get my teaching position. Wife is starting her Masters in Education program as well. This will be interesting with both of us having Masters degrees.....

Anyways, here's the pic, and now to be patient for warmer weather to get it in....

M
Attached Thumbnails
20180102_163340.jpg  
Old 01-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #574
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Hey M --- now that you are a "northerner", you need to get used to working outdoors in single digit weather!

Looking forward to more pix.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:01 AM   #575
Bus Crazy

Tango,

I was used to it. However, my wife has cold related health issues, so I have to help her before I can do anything else. It sux, but that's the way life goes sometimes.

She took a tumble today. She's all bruised up, so I'm having to help her with a bunch of stuff. She hurt her knee, hips, chin, and upper lip. So for right now HF will have to wait. However, if things go reasonably well, and she heals from her fall, I'm hoping to have the radiator in within two weeks or so.

M
Old 01-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #576
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Tango,

I was used to it. However, my wife has cold related health issues, so I have to help her before I can do anything else. It sux, but that's the way life goes sometimes.

She took a tumble today. She's all bruised up, so I'm having to help her with a bunch of stuff.
You're good people.

Tell your misses that one of the crazy bus people says he hopes she feels better soon.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #577
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Ouch! I hope she wasn't on the roof of the bus when she tumbled. Be careful up there and here's hoping she makes a quick recovery.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #578
Bus Crazy

She missed a step on a stone stairway at the local college. We are getting her registered for classes. She's becoming a teacher like me... When we were leaving I let her go first out the side door closest to her handicapped van.

I was putting on my coat when she went ahead of me and then stumbled.

By the time I get to where she was, she was already on the ground.

She told me this morning she's feeling better, but has a nasty scrape on her chin....

Time will tell.....

M
Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #579
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I couldn't be prouder or happier.
That's a great feeling, isn't it? As a parent, I find that I'm way too close way too often and I need to pull back and look at the overall picture rather than nit-picking the details.

My daughter is also a great person, but it helps (me) that she's found a job with real benefits like health care and paid leave.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #580
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Tango,

She took a tumble today. She's all bruised up, so I'm having to help her with a bunch of stuff. She hurt her knee, hips, chin, and upper lip. So for right now HF will have to wait. However, if things go reasonably well, and she heals from her fall, I'm hoping to have the radiator in within two weeks or so.

M [emoji3]
Oh no! That's terrible! I hope she's on the road to recovery

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk