Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #81
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you were near me, I could have you that panel cut to size on a plasma table tomorrow. For wholesale cost.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Yeah, wife and I discussed the on-side options, the flood options, and a bunch of other emergency situations (brother-in-law is retired cop, cousin-in-law is a state cop - major - between them and my EMS experiences we believe we have almost all the bases covered with emergency situations to plan for) we figured the rear door over the engine was least effective and had a higher probability of injury-or-worse results, so we're getting rid of it. Much debate went into the decision, TRUST ME!! Wifie won!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #83
Bus Crazy

CB,

It's the bend at the bottom that has my attention. I don't have a way to brake the metal to the proper angle to the re-attach it to the rear. I can cut sheet metal, I have those tools, just not a braker.....
Old 07-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
After THREE HOURS of doing battle with the Texas DPS, I WON!!!!! Finally got plates on her! Now I can drive her to some of the people I'm looking to sub-contract to - such as spray-foamers, metal shops and such for help since I don't have my own metal shop and I live in an apartment complex. I CANNOT STAND living in an apartment! YUCK!!!! Steps in getting closer to independent living!! YAY!!!
In 1999, spent 8 months in an apartment after a house fire.... 2 adults, 3 children; (youngest was 2), upstairs 2 bedroom apartment with little to no furniture (didn't want to buy new furniture until new house was built)

vowed NEVER AGAIN! (winters and cabin fever are a brutal combination)

Even now that I'm almost an empty nest bachelor, I'd still rather live in a damned tent!!!!

no offense to ones living in apartment, it's just not for me.... and I can say Been There, Done That!

It's great for some folks, but I ain't one of them.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #85
Bus Geek

Quote:
CB,

It's the bend at the bottom that has my attention. I don't have a way to brake the metal to the proper angle to the re-attach it to the rear. I can cut sheet metal, I have those tools, just not a braker.....
Ok, I see what you mean.
A local metal shop will be able to do it for ya easily.
But I'm sure you know this!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #86
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
In 1999, spent 8 months in an apartment after a house fire.... 2 adults, 3 children; (youngest was 2), upstairs 2 bedroom apartment with little to no furniture (didn't want to buy new furniture until new house was built)

vowed NEVER AGAIN! (winters and cabin fever are a brutal combination)

Even now that I'm almost an empty nest bachelor, I'd still rather live in a damned tent!!!!

no offense to ones living in apartment, it's just not for me.... and I can say Been There, Done That!

It's great for some folks, but I ain't one of them.
From the time I was 18 till I was nearly 30 I lived in a tiny apartment in the ghetto.
I'd rather have a tent, too. Or a popup camper.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #87
Bus Crazy

Quote:
CB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Ok, I see what you mean.
A local metal shop will be able to do it for ya easily.
But I'm sure you know this!
get ahold of your local Vocational Technical School.... "Vo-Tech)
Our HVAC department does work for people all the time.
Electrical Trades, Automotive, and Welding departments do it also.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #88
Bus Crazy

GREAT idea! I believe I can find one in Houston somewhere.......
Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #89
Bus Crazy

Quote:
GREAT idea! I believe I can find one in Houston somewhere.......
they've helped me in more ways than you can imagine....
as a high school student, as an adult student, as an employee, and as a citizen!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #90
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
I got an artificial hip and I don't run, jump and turn myself inside out like I use to but I'm not understanding the roof & side windows becoming the emergency exits vs. an actual door.

When my azz is this close to catching fire, I'll gladly take my chances with the outcome of jumping out the back door vs trying to get my feet, legs & azz out a tiny side window. And you can kiss any emergency vent that's over my head completely unusable unless the bus is on it's side.

My belief is the more emergency exits the better. I'd even love to add more to the side windows.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #91
Bus Crazy

Breeze,

As the build continues, I hope you see what my wife came up with. It's actually quite effective and unique. I hope it builds as well as it looks on paper. This is where we need to see if theory and reality come together or not..... She's a creative thinker for an accountant (just don't tell her I said that). First we need to get the remaining junk ripped out so we can start the lay-outs and building from our blueprints.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #92
Bus Crazy

I found this on-line. So I know I'm not the only one who has come up with something similar....
Attached Thumbnails
226_29731_10.jpg   226_29731_11.jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #93
Bus Geek

Thinking about your attitude, your determination, and that badass seat you've picked out, I'd wager you've got things sorted out just fine.
I do agree with what you said, breeze, about more is better!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #94
Bus Crazy

It helps to have owned a few semis as well... Turning wrenches, teaching, EMS, and family support (not necessarily in that order mind y'all) didn't hurt either... And I'm always researching ideas as we demo and begin to build. But as I said before, wife has a major input. If she doesn't want it, well........
Old 07-07-2015, 05:45 AM   #95
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
After THREE HOURS of doing battle with the Texas DPS, I WON!!!!! Finally got plates on her! Now I can drive her to some of the people I'm looking to sub-contract to - such as spray-foamers, metal shops and such for help since I don't have my own metal shop and I live in an apartment complex. I CANNOT STAND living in an apartment! YUCK!!!! Steps in getting closer to independent living!! YAY!!!
I spent three hours at the tax office last week getting my paperwork squared away. Apparently they had some computers go down at one of the offices, so the Tomball office was swamped right before the holiday weekend. The ladies at the office all thought it was pretty cool and wanna see pictures when I'm done.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Whew, I'm looking forward to hearing about that since I'm going to have to go through the same thing. Sorry to hear it took so long but congrats on getting it done
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #97
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
You can pay a title company to go through the hassle.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #98
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin1989us View Post
You can pay a title company to go through the hassle.
Limited funds dictate the three hours was required. I can't outsource something I can do myself. Wife would KILL me!

Example:
Old 07-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #99
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
You can be sure I'll be following your build. Haven't missed even one going on in over two years. Each & every build has something that I really like and may do in our build.

So....."Happy wife, happy life"

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that, and being one of them happy wives I never get tired of hearing it. I come up with some far fetched ideas and Hubby so far has been able to bring them to fruition with great success (and ALOT of thought).

Our bus is a FE and we designed our build to have access to the back door unimpeded. We will have a skinny stepdown to deck out the door that will hold our genny on one side & probably the grill and/or grills on the other. Right now we are borrowing a set of stairs from a marine shop and they fit perfect and are only three steps to the ground so a strategically placed deck shouldn't make exiting tooo hard. Though I sure am gonna miss those steps.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #100
Bus Crazy

More work on Heavy today. Got the rear sheet metal header down and four or five ceiling panels and the yucky fiberglass junk behind it. Got a heat gun and scrapers for the black goo behind it all. You can see my one ton baby on the passenger side of Heavy in the last pic.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010037.JPG   P1010038.JPG   P1010039.JPG   P1010040.JPG   P1010041.JPG