Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 04:26 AM   #141
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Left a smile on my face.......

make that two of us.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #142
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Found out my p/u has a clogged fuel filter..... So, the military fuel tank has rust issues.... Anyways, I'll swap filters, and have to save up for a new aluminum tank and install it. THEN I can focus on Heavy again...... I can still get work done, just watch the $$$.... Frustrating....
Old 07-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #143
Bus Crazy

Well, got my p/u up and running for now... I need to save up for a new aluminum tank and then put her in. Went out to Heavy today and as I'm getting ready to take pics of the walls my son & I did, the batteries died in the heat..... So I'll be back out there Thursday. Got a call this afternoon for a limo job tomorrow. Just waiting to get confirmation....

Sorry about the camera's low batteries.....
Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #144
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Well, got my p/u up and running for now... I need to save up for a new aluminum tank and then put her in. Went out to Heavy today and as I'm getting ready to take pics of the walls my son & I did, the batteries died in the heat..... So I'll be back out there Thursday. Got a call this afternoon for a limo job tomorrow. Just waiting to get confirmation....

Sorry about the camera's low batteries.....
I'd been doing so well the last few weeks, until you mentioned limo job
Old 07-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #145
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I'd been doing so well the last few weeks, until you mentioned limo job

Oops, sorry!!! Heck, come on down, there's plenty of those jobs available along with the weirdoes that have the $$$$$ to pay for them......
Old 07-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #146
Mini-Skoolie

For that tar a trick I used in the cars I've stripped it from is using dry ice. I'd drop some dry ice on it, let it sit for 15 min or so then just take a mallet to it. The stuff becomes so brittle that it just chips off, just like candy brittle if you've ever seen someone break that up. It gets rid of a good 80-90% of the tar much easier than scraping. Since it is on the walls you'd have to build some temporary wall to hold the dry ice against it, just some thing with a 1-2" gap between the tar. I used 30lbs of dry ice to strip out the floorpan and trunk of a typical passenger car. I forget how much the stuff costs but it was well worth the savings in frustration and labor. You can usually find it at industrial supply places that refill various gas tanks. It basically turned what was a multi-day job into a couple hours of work.
Ryank327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #147
Bus Crazy

I'll try that. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #148
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'll try that. Thanks!
I get my Dry Ice from our local IGA grocery store....
you might find a grocery store locally that carries it.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:50 PM   #149
Bus Crazy

Thanks for the help guys! It's a morale boost for the day I just had. While at work driving all over Houston, my wife's truck was stolen. Seems like a summer from hell. Every step forward seems like four back. Now we've got to handle paperwork and claims and find my wife another unicorn, namely a Ford Excursion with a diesel engine... Hopefully we've found one, but only time will tell.....

Now I can't get to the bus to do anything until this situation is resolved...
Old 07-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #150

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys! It's a morale boost for the day I just had. While at work driving all over Houston, my wife's truck was stolen. Seems like a summer from hell. Every step forward seems like four back. Now we've got to handle paperwork and claims and find my wife another unicorn, namely a Ford Excursion with a diesel engine... Hopefully we've found one, but only time will tell.....

Now I can't get to the bus to do anything until this situation is resolved...

Sorry to hear about your troubles but how did the Excursion get stolen. It should have a PATS key. They would have to tow it. My EX has a PATS key that I was going to bypass until I read about 4 Ford trucks getting stolen in one month. That idea got tosses pretty quick.

I will also install a tracking device in a few of my vehicles.

DEATH TO THIEVES!!!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:30 AM   #151
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles but how did the Excursion get stolen. It should have a PATS key. They would have to tow it. My EX has a PATS key that I was going to bypass until I read about 4 Ford trucks getting stolen in one month. That idea got tosses pretty quick.

I will also install a tracking device in a few of my vehicles.

DEATH TO THIEVES!!!
She had an '03 F250 4X4 6.0L diesel. Just replaced the oil pump, new Michelin tires, new brakes all the way around, new rear calipers, new fifth wheel in the bed, new, new, new, new everything along with quite a bit of my own blood sweat, & frustrations. Was due for an inspection and registration at the end of the month... Her friends at the D.A.'s office are helping too. LOVE those guys! The '03 F250 was an extended cab with 1/2 doors behind the front doors, short bed, and lift kit from the factory. As I said, a unicorn. It took me EIGHT MONTHS to find it.... Drove all over Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma to find it in Austin, TX....

I believe I'll be investing in Low Jack...

So now my wife is looking at a 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3L 4X4. White with a tan leather interior. We're not fond of leather in a vehicle, well, another thread could be started about leather, but this is a family channel......

So we're off to look at this truck on Monday. In the mean time, and I say MEAN... Every time we get close to treading water disaster seems to strike hard....

Sorry about derailing my own thread... But the connection is it's preventing me from getting to my bus......

So until we get this situation solved...... I'm unable to get pics or even see Heavy Fuel for now.....
Old 07-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #152
Bus Crazy

Quote:

Sorry about derailing my own thread...
it's your thread......

Old 08-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #153
Bus Crazy

Updates! Pics will follow.

1 - Got to meet Tango today! That was AWESOME!!! Thanks Tango for taking so much time with me today! Next time we'll got see your ride! Now I understand how to get a few things done. Will organize the steel to be re-used. Have plan for getting the floor plywood up too.

2 - Now have replaced my wife's '03 F250 with a new '14 Ford Transit Connect XLT she can get in and out of with ease. We looked at the car carrier. This delivery van converted to civilian use will suit our needs fine when we put it on the carrier and pull it behind Heavy.

Driving all over Houston today with Heavy let me know the engine has more unused torque than what I originally thought. I'm figuring the build won't add as much weight as I first suspected. Removing the rear escape window and insulating the back will save another 100 or so pounds. Yes, yes, I know about the escaping problem. However, we are putting in some big windows not only to look out but to also provide escapes as well.

I still can't get over how Heavy turns corners so well. Had some rough roads to drive over, but she handled them with ease. I'm SOOOO looking forward to getting my Bostrom air-ride seat though. Well worth the money since it will be my driving/office seat. Need something to last for a few decades....

Pics will be following sometime this weekend as time allows. Starting a new coach bus driving dedicated job this Sunday. Minimum of $100 each Sunday! We need it!

Again, thanks so much Tango! Look forward to see you again soon!

M1031
Old 08-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #154
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Good to meet you too bud. And man...what a choice platform! That bus has a lot going for it and it sounds like you have a good plan for building her out. I admit to having serious bay envy. Those Mongo through bays are gonna make a lot of building tasks SO much easier.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:35 AM   #155
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
We are looking to trade our POS Subaru lemon for a Transit maybe next year. Nice choice.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #156
Bus Crazy

We got the 2014 for almost $7K less than sticker. It was made in Feb '14. Was sitting on their lot since May '14. Made a cash offer of just under $21K and they took it. Sticker was $28K.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #157
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Updates! Pics will follow.

Driving all over Houston today with Heavy let me know the engine has more unused torque than what I originally thought.

M1031
M1031, are happy with the cat engine so far?

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #158
Bus Crazy

J,

Sure am! Tango was impressed too! This Cat engine has 34K miles on it (replaced due to a rookie mechanic forgetting to put in a new air filter after removing the old one). The Marvel Mystery Oil, Lucas, and Prolong make a HUGE difference in how the engine runs.

Driving around I could feel the engine hunger for another gear. The load is definitely light. Plenty of room to get a better gear ratio. So looking forward to getting her done, just going to take time.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:37 PM   #159
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
It sure does purr purdy!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #160
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
What is the rear end gear ratio? and what would you replace it with? mine is 5.29 trans 643 cat 3208.
J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote