Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #261
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Many of the "big tires" are balanced these days using dry, polymer beads that act as an active balancing agent. The new tires on my rig got that treatment. And yes...balancing is critical to reasonable handling, tire wear and safety. Especially on the steer tires. Fighting the shakes for hours on end gets old really fast and creates excessive wear on all the steering components.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #262
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Many of the "big tires" are balanced these days using dry, polymer beads that act as an active balancing agent. The new tires on my rig got that treatment. And yes...balancing is critical to reasonable handling, tire wear and safety. Especially on the steer tires. Fighting the shakes for hours on end gets old really fast and creates excessive wear on all the steering components.
So, dumping in a bag of beads on each tire is sufficient? Is this important enough to pull all 4 rear tires and break their beads?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #263
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The beads are typically added during a new tire change but you can now buy and add at any time.

There are lots of opinions on these products and disagreement even on what they may or may not do, but they have been around for over ten years and are very popular with fleet managers responsible for lots of rolling rubber. One claim is that they "balance" tires but another is that actually they dynamically counteract vibration. Either way they seem to reduce the effects of imbalance.

Many years ago I added fluid balancing rings filled with shot to the front wheels on my old Dodge Town Wagon to help with shimmy and vibration and I can tell you it made a huge difference. The dry beads appear to function in a similar fashion.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #264
Bus Nut

My old employer had all steering wheels/tires balanced. When the tires were at about half tread, they were moved to the tags and new put on the front. The drive axle always had retreads and were never balanced. Seems to work well for a fleet of 20ish coaches. His 100+ skoolies were very different. I don't think anything but trip buses got balancing.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #265
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
The beads are typically added during a new tire change but you can now buy and add at any time.
I used some in motorcycle tires when I didn't have weights laying around to balance them. Worked like a charm, both tires ran flawlessly as fast as I could push them... I like the "dnya bead" type products...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #266
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Hey guys!

Just scored these seats from LKQ today! Paid $63 for both, then helped a trucker get his parts from the parking lot to his semi around the corner for $20! So the seats actually cost me $43!!!!! Score one up for the good guys!!!!! These matching seats came out of a Chevy conversion van. All I had to do was lift the front retaining bar, pull back, and out they came! No sockets, no impact wrenches, NOTHING other than detach and GO!!!! These seats recline like a La-Z-Boy recliner! Super - super soft and just hug me and relax me beyond expectations! More pics tomorrow! Going back to properly mount mine and get rid of the uncomfortable stock driver's seat..... SUPER pumped about this!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
20160817_154705.jpg  
Old 08-18-2016, 05:40 AM   #267
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Awesome score, congrats. Being in the right place at the right time is a good thing.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #268
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:

There are lots of opinions on these products and disagreement even on what they may or may not do, but they have been around for over ten years and are very popular with fleet managers responsible for lots of rolling rubber. One claim is that they "balance" tires but another is that actually they dynamically counteract vibration. Either way they seem to reduce the effects of imbalance.

Many years ago I added fluid balancing rings filled with shot to the front wheels on my old Dodge Town Wagon to help with shimmy and vibration and I can tell you it made a huge difference. The dry beads appear to function in a similar fashion.
It's my understanding that some bead kits can be added through the inflation valve.

Great score in the seats!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #269
Almost There

There's a LKQ in Houston?

I wanna go lol. I'm in Houston all the time.

Great score!
CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #270
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHooligan View Post

Great score!
There are four LKQ locations in Houston. One by Wallisville Road - where I got my seats, one on Rankin Road, one off of Hiram Clark Road, one off of I 45 south of where I 45 and Texas 249 come together on the west side of I 45.

I looked on their website to see what they had for inventory before going, found the conversion van was there for 48 hours being pulled apart (massive roof leak from rust hole in roof), and went over there hoping not many people had yanked too much from it.

Looking at their website helps find the type of vehicle that MAY have parts you're looking for, but no guarantees.

Hope this helps!

M
Old 08-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #271
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
There are four LKQ locations in Houston. One by Wallisville Road - where I got my seats, one on Rankin Road, one off of Hiram Clark Road, one off of I 45 south of where I 45 and Texas 249 come together on the west side of I 45.

I looked on their website to see what they had for inventory before going, found the conversion van was there for 48 hours being pulled apart (massive roof leak from rust hole in roof), and went over there hoping not many people had yanked too much from it.

Looking at their website helps find the type of vehicle that MAY have parts you're looking for, but no guarantees.

Hope this helps!

M

There's one by me, kinda. Do they have RV's and buses?
CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #272
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:

Great score!
There is an LKQ down in ENC also.
In Wilmington.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #273
Bus Crazy

Quote:
There's one by me, kinda. Do they have RV's and buses?
The one on Rankin road might every now and then.....
Old 08-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #274
Bus Crazy

Well, got my new captain's chair installed today. Lost about a quart in perspiration before the rain came in and dropped the temps down to something more tolerable. I still have some adjusting to do to the seat, but it's in and oh so VERY comfortable!

Also figured out why my driver's window is leaking water when it rains. I'll have to take it apart and do some work on it so the rain won't splash in anymore. Pics on that as I get the time.

SO stoked about this seat!
Attached Thumbnails
captainchair.png  
Old 08-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #275
Bus Crazy

&*@$&*@$&^@$&*! Broken pics......
Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #276
Bus Crazy

take 2 for luck
Attached Thumbnails
captainchair.png  
Old 08-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #277
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post

Also figured out why my driver's window is leaking water when it rains. I'll have to take it apart and do some work on it so the rain won't splash in anymore.
This is what I get from my buddy at On The Spot Auto Glass...
Works great filling floor holes too!

Old 08-19-2016, 01:08 AM   #278
Bus Crazy

I'll need three tubes. Thanks MM!!! (Every time I type MM I think MMO Match Maker for video games, LOL)
Old 08-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #279
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
dude, that seat is dope.
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #280
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird