Old 09-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Help Me Pick My Next Bus! Need Your Input :)

Originally Posted by opus
Thats real low mileage for any diesel. But it could have had 10,000 hrs and that would have explained it.
Just over 16,000 on mine.
Optimism is a mental disorder.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
Bus Nut
Re: Help Me Pick My Next Bus! Need Your Input :)

At the end of the day, since the price is the same, I would go with the longer bus.

If the roof is too low you can raise the roof.

But if you decide you need a little more length there isn't a whole lot you can do.

As far as miles go on a bus, as it has been pointed out, hours are more important than miles.

For most calculations most people consider the two kinds of service that are the hardest on a vehicle are school and garbage route vehicles. What is so hard about school bus service is the number of hours the engine runs but isn't being worked and the number of times the engine is turned on and off.

I once had a school bus assignment that had seven different routes during the day. I put in an 8-hour day and did a grand total of 27 miles per day. I started and stopped that engine a minimum of ten times per day. With so few miles being put on the bus the engine never really ever warmed up properly. It probably idled more hours per day than it actually ran. In actual wear and tear it was a lot harder on it than some of the buses that put on more than 100 miles per day.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote