Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Buy or not to buy?
Buy 1 8.33%
Don't touch it! 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebetaclark View Post
Well.. add a zero to the $ and then some... I think the gig is up and I'm back on the hunt.

Ya'll are awesome and very welcoming to a Newbie like me who has not looked enough to know where expectations should be. I have a much better understanding now and will trade a few grand for a more pleasant conversion .

Through this thread a got a bunch of good leads of where to look... gonna head to Maine this weekend then maybe down to Maryland as suggested to find a rig fit for conversion. If anyone knows of a specific ~40footer with a high roof, larger engine (might tow) and underbody compartments. let me know kybclark (at) gmail.com. Total budget is <$18k for conversion... trying to figure out how much is right to spend on the bones.

Thanks again! -Kyle
Watch GovDeals. They have lots of buses.
A nice Thomas pusher just went for less than 3000 in Maryland on there.
If I had that kind of budget, I'd be tempted to look at some older MCI's and coaches. You could find a nice one for half your budget.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri View Post
Hate to throw this in the mix....but did you see this?
http://burlington.craigslist.org/rvs/4815339050.html
Crazy, but the primary reason I'm looking to convert a school bus is because of the structural integrity relative to a class A or C RV... for the four precious kids in the back.... I just did a bunch of reading on the Wanderlodge and it looks like it is all steel construction and built on a tank (school bus) frame etc. I just emailed and will take a look this weekend.

Only negative, is I was looking forward to doing a full conversion project... but I'm sure there will be stuff to do if it looks good.
Kylebetaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
FYI --- the older Wanderlodges are indeed built on the same base as the BB skoolies (frame, engine, running gear, basic body). Only big difference is that they have half the number of ribs I've been told. The skoolies being constructed to higher standards than the gazillion-dollar RV's. Go figure.

Great units though with an amazing reputation for being more solid and reliable than just about anything else on the market.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Something in that ad doesn't seem right to me...
He's leaving the country, according to the ad. Yet he will trade for a car, or land? He also says you can't buy his bus if you live more than 500 miles away? Geez- I drove a 23 year old auction school bus home 800 miles...
Also- spending 20k on the cat 3208?? IDK. That seems like a really tall tale. You can buy reman units so much cheaper than that...
I'm just a skeptical consumer. I'm a tough sell.
For six, that wanderlodge is going to be cramped. They're really st up for two with accommodations for the occasional guest.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Something in that ad doesn't seem right to me...
Yeah, the tone is definitely not friendly... and the story doesn't exactly align. hummmm....

But lets face it... not everyone thinks through everything they say (or even can get their head around the concept of trust and transparency on the net), and people forget how much information is available with a few questions and little research. If there is something shady it will come to light very quickly.

Also, I'm no expert, but I think i can look at a few key indicators to see if an engine has been topped or OH ;).

I'll see if I get a response and get to inspect/look/drive.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
FYI Only big difference is that they have half the number of ribs I've been told. The skoolies being constructed to higher standards than the gazillion-dollar RV's.
ugh! sucko.

Re: "gazillion"... we looked at a Winnebago Brave last weekend after being told it was the only RV on the market with a steel structural frame... after an hour drive and considering a $123k price tag... we learned the steel structural frame they bragged so much about only covers about 4 feet of the body... the driver and front seat passenger!

So Tango... you are right on!

Back to the skoolie route! Seems like the most fun anyway.

BTW, last year we bought a 1984, rotted out TT... gutted it, pulled the skins, reframed it, painted a giant Harry Potter (by request of the kids) lightning bolt on the side, pimped the inside (all in two 30hr weekends) and went on a memorable vacation. That was #GATEWAYDRUG ! So the Skoolie is getting a similar theme on the outside, but going more simple cherry-maple-iron-copper-leather on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Bolt Outside.jpg   Bolt Taping.jpg   Bolt Rear finished.jpg   Bolt front finished.jpg   IMG_2425.jpg  

IMG_2418.jpg   IMG_2413.jpg  

Tags
3008, international, rust