Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Buy or not to buy?
Buy 1 8.33%
Don't touch it! 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E
Help - This Bus Worth Converting? too much rust?

Hi everyone,

I just looked at a bus and don't have a good enough baseline on what a 12yr old bus should look like, specifically the rust. I want decent bones for this project...

Its a 37.5ft International Flat Nose with 140k mi, DT466 engine from NY. Front tires have about 3/16 of tread, rear have about 1/4".

I'm looking for some advice from ya'll on roughly what it is worth and if it is "solid Skoolie material". I'm planning on heading down this weekend with a slug of cash, driving it and based on feedback received on this forum, maybe buying it for a conversion for our family of 6.

I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, built airplanes and trailers, but not yet converted a bus.

Also, anything else specifically to look at in this rig would be invaluable!

$? Yes/No go?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0622.jpg   IMG_0623.jpg   IMG_0635.jpg   IMG_0589.jpg   IMG_0572.jpg  

IMG_0571.jpg   IMG_0604.jpg   IMG_0583.jpg   IMG_0581.jpg   IMG_0576.jpg  

IMG_0648.jpg   IMG_0656.jpg   IMG_0650.jpg   IMG_0608.jpg   IMG_0575.jpg  

IMG_0579.jpg   IMG_0638.jpg  

Kylebetaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Hate to tell'ya, but I can't get any of the pix to open.
hmmm... I can see them on two different browsers here. Can anyone else see them? Thanks! -Kyle
Old 01-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Can now...probably just my slow moving computer.

Looks like quite a bit of rust to me. Is it from "Salt Road" country? These rigs are typically worst around the wheel wells but salt can do severe damage everywhere it can hide. My '46 didn't have nearly as much but I wound up replacing most of the body panels once I got into it. Me? Personally, I'd keep looking for a cleaner unit.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I'm not an expert by any stretch but I have done a bit of rust removal on cars and trucks over the years. I have lived most of my adult life in Maine. I would say you are going to have to cut out a good bit around those wheel wells, and probably those stairs as you can see rust popping up in the corner between the aluminum edges. Also the battery slide looks like it may need some attention. The engine is the DT466E, don't know if that matters to you, but it isn't the "all mechanical" version. I think you can do much better for less $$ than he wants. I wouldn't even go look at unless it were less than an hours drive, and then only as a learning experience.
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
If you can hang in for a few months more Katy ISD, in Katy, Texas, has a BUNCH of rust free buses going to AUCTION (read - save $$$$$). Not only am I one of the bus drivers, I'm also one of the lot mechanics. I've driven each bus that's going to auction. Some are parts buses, some have serious issues and some are GEMS to buy with no or extremely little rust being from southeast Texas. Personally I wouldn't bother with that rust bucket. If you are interested in a solid rust free Texas bus let me know.... Again, patience, if you have some, will pay off big time for this auction of about 100 buses in Katy during this summer.
M1031A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
... but I wound up replacing most of the body panels once I got into it. Me? Personally, I'd keep looking for a cleaner unit.
thank you much... I agree it would be a ton of work to get it back to condition where I can justify putting a few hundred hours and 10 grand on the inside... I think I'll keep looking... I've only looked at two and trying to learn what the expectation should be.

because the "secret to happiness is low expectations" quote doesn't apply here... Still looking around NE if anyone has a lead. TX seems like a bit of a $ and drive to get it to VT... but maybe less work than two weeks of grinding, welding and painting
Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I've got to agree with Tango--keep look'in. My 80 yr old bus didn't have that much rust. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Bus Nut

You know the truth is it's not a bad bus. It's a bad price for a rusty bus. There's a guy up here in Maine that seems to have a bunch of buses lately. I know that a few schools have auctioned off some of their fleet in the last month, so he is probably getting them. If you look at CL in Maine you will find him, I don't know what he's got for inventory, but he let a bunch go for $1200 or so. That was a couple weeks ago I think. If you are making a trip this way let me know we'll meet you for a beer or 3!
Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri View Post
There's a guy up here in Maine that seems to have a bunch of buses lately... If you are making a trip this way let me know we'll meet you for a beer or 3!
Nice... looks like the fellow is Paul in Dixmont. He has a few listings, one is a seat longer and has the underbody storage! Is there a way to tell from the outside if it has the 6'6" interior height? http://maine.craigslist.org/rvs/4831548799.html

Oh, and beers are on me for the lead! Do they still pour that "peg leg ale" up there from the portland brewery? Casco bay brewery?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I like the look of that bus also... I think $4000 is a bit high, but I'm "insanely cheap" according to my better half. LOL It has the Allison 2000 tranny with a 5.9 cummins and 5.38 gears I don't know if that is highway speed capable, someone with more of the "thinkin" than I got needs to ring in on the specs there.

As to the beer available in Portland, I couldn't say. We moved away 7 years ago and just moved back last spring. We live in the sticks now, no more city livin' here...lol I do know that Portland has always had many good beer taps though!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Watch GovDeals and Public Surplus for buses. Is Maryland too far for you?
I've seen some pretty decent buses in Jersey too.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:40 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Keep looking.....a better one will pop somewhere soon enough.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

There are a lot of buses for sale around the country with a lot less rust for the same $$$.

With a family as large as yours you want to be looking for a 14 or 15 row bus.

Seriously consider traveling to find "your" bus. Good luck and happy trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:08 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Too much rust. Anything that has rust stains streaming from seams is going to be full deskin to take care of. Since school busses are "cheap and common" I'd bet that one's gonna get recycled for the engine and transmission.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
That rusty underside will make your life hell too.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri View Post
I like the look of that bus also... I think $4000 is a bit high, but I'm "insanely cheap"
I agree with you there. Unless you are paying $400 i would leave it.
My bus has rust, not nearly that much and it is a PAIN. Every time you want to remove a screw or bolt get out the grinder.....
The bigger problem is that you will probably have a hard time passing the road worthy inspection. That is the worst part.
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank's P-O-S View Post
I agree with you there. Unless you are paying $400 i would leave it.
My bus has rust, not nearly that much and it is a PAIN. Every time you want to remove a screw or bolt get out the grinder.....
The bigger problem is that you will probably have a hard time passing the road worthy inspection. That is the worst part.
Well.. add a zero to the $ and then some... I think the gig is up and I'm back on the hunt.

Ya'll are awesome and very welcoming to a Newbie like me who has not looked enough to know where expectations should be. I have a much better understanding now and will trade a few grand for a more pleasant conversion .

Through this thread a got a bunch of good leads of where to look... gonna head to Maine this weekend then maybe down to Maryland as suggested to find a rig fit for conversion. If anyone knows of a specific ~40footer with a high roof, larger engine (might tow) and underbody compartments. let me know kybclark (at) gmail.com. Total budget is <$18k for conversion... trying to figure out how much is right to spend on the bones.

Thanks again! -Kyle
Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Hate to throw this in the mix....but did you see this?
http://burlington.craigslist.org/rvs/4815339050.html
Old 01-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Don't forget to contact the area school districts to find out when/where they dispose of retired units. And on any purchase...if you can get your hands on the maintenance log (usually easy thru school districts), you are WAY ahead of the game. Best of luck on the hunt.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Maintenance records are starting to be few and far between.

Part of the problem is most of the districts have gone paperless and don't want to go to the time and expense it would take to print it all out.

But the bigger part of the problem is they don't want any comebacks. Too many school districts have sold buses as is only to be hung on their maintenance records and having to pay for repairs their records said they had done but were either not done or done incorrectly.

So if you can get the records, good for you.

If you can't, oh well.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3008, international, rust