Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #61
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Next time remember the key or find you a nude beach/camping area

The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Got back into working on the bus altho the heat&humidity and rain are practically unbearable. Pictures someday soon.
I also redid the screws with stainless and locknuts that hold the door lock actuator. I figure there has been enough testing to ensure it works the way we wanted.

(side note - wife thought she locked it but pushed the fob button the wrong way. That night someone opened the door. It woke our dog and before I got out there, they were gone. Nothing is missing. Probably homeless looking for a place or for something they need. No harm.)
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Did the dog come back?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
Did the dog come back?
Sounds like a line from a country song !
Old 08-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Well for all you that believe in roof raises, I found something while searching for a paint idea for our conversion. What I found seemed to be extreme measures done by people on builds of all kinds. Here is the roof raise:

Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
I would have mounted that tent trailer the other direction.

However mounting something made of sticks and staples onto a bus IMO is stupid.

If anything gets mounted on top of a bus, it needs to be metal.

Stupid crap like that is what is making skoolies so hard to insure in most places.

On the other hand, properly done roof raises do nothing to fuel the insurance company problem.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #67
Bus Nut

Update -> I just gave the roof a first coat of paint. We shall see how well it holds up. The paint said one hour to dry. I touched it after an hour and only slightly tacky. Seems to have adhered well. There is a serious storm right now, 6.5 hours after the paint went on. The roof was so frigin hot when I was up there this morning that I had to get down for a break when half finished. After 15 min break (shower drink water and fresh clothes) I finished it. I tried rolling it on from the paint tray as recommended but it was thickening in the tray. I just poured some on and spread it with the roller as I went along. It is fairly even and the second coat will go along way to even things out and improve the coverage. Some spots are a little thinner than others right now.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #68
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Prepping for paint now, I've read that Rustoleum type paints can be thinned using paint thinner without harming the paint
Old 08-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #69
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah, I buy Rustoleum by the gallon and thin it per the label. Sprays well out of my paint gun.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #70
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
I would have mounted that tent trailer the other direction.

However mounting something made of sticks and staples onto a bus IMO is stupid.

If anything gets mounted on top of a bus, it needs to be metal.

Stupid crap like that is what is making skoolies so hard to insure in most places.

On the other hand, properly done roof raises do nothing to fuel the insurance company problem.

Nat
Hey Nat, just wondering, what do you mean mounted the other direction and why?

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #71
Bus Nut

I think ANY CHANGES done to the original structure of a vehicle demand a closer investigation and rightfully so. Take one example: roof raises.....how many people have raised the roofs of their buses vs the number of different ways they accomplished it. Who's to say my way is right & yours sucks. (Ya...I know who's to say that ).

I am a dreamer & believe me I can come up with some hair raising ideas (ask Clint he'll tell you). Luckily, he's more levelheaded than I so not all of my suggestions come to fruition.

Unfortunately, they are others out there who don't have anyone levelheaded to stop the changes that they want to make. Underwriters know this and therefore are leary of changes made by an individual without a knowledgeable person to sign off on theses changes.

Hence, the problems with getting insurance unless changes are performed by a qualified individual.

There are soooooo many skoolies out there with all forms of changes and it would be impossible for any investigator to be knowledgeable on all these changes.

Just saying folks!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #72

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Update -> I just gave the roof a first coat of paint. We shall see how well it holds up. The paint said one hour to dry. I touched it after an hour and only slightly tacky. Seems to have adhered well. There is a serious storm right now, 6.5 hours after the paint went on. The roof was so frigin hot when I was up there this morning that I had to get down for a break when half finished. After 15 min break (shower drink water and fresh clothes) I finished it. I tried rolling it on from the paint tray as recommended but it was thickening in the tray. I just poured some on and spread it with the roller as I went along. It is fairly even and the second coat will go along way to even things out and improve the coverage. Some spots are a little thinner than others right now.
Pics or it never happened.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #73

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol View Post

J
I think he means turning it 90*. That way you don't have to be a monkey to get in and won't break you neck when you step out to take a leak at 2am.

Just thinking a little more about this. How do you go through a drive-thru if it is turned 90*?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:16 AM   #74
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I think he means turning it 90*. That way you don't have to be a money to get in and won't break you neck when you step out to take a leak at 2am.

Just thinking a little more about this. How do you go through a drive-thru if it is turned 90*?

You go through VERY carefully.........
Old 08-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol View Post

J
To maximize use of the roof space, and so you can get safely into the door of the tent trailer without having to walk on thin air.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Hey HolyBus, how much was your lock setup on the front door? And where'd ya get it?